Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

Olaf

I also have the US hardcover on pre-order, but I will probably also get the UK trade paperback from Gollancz as a reading copy.

Doesn't Australia get the UK editions?

I know that HarperCollins UK usually ships their trade paperbacks to the Commenwealth contries (and mainland Europe). But I don't know if Gollancz is doing that as well.

Yeah, we get the UK edition. But that doesn't always mean we get it the same time as the UK.

We haven't even got the mass paperback of Warrior Prophet yet :unsure:

I really like these two new quotes I found about Lynch's novel:

I spent a good wee while in conversation with Gillian Redfearn of Orion, who I blagged a copy of Scott Lynch's THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA from a wee while back.

Come to think of it, I'd meant to blog that actually -- that I'd read it and, yes, it is a *lot* of fun. I thought it was hugely enjoyable. The lead character cuts a roguish dash -- with all the swagger and the spark of Errol Flynn in his heyday (I'd say Burt Lancaster to give it full Crimson Pirate kudos (and that's saying something, man, cause as far as I'm concerned it's a toss-up between that and Pirates of the Carribean for best pirate movie ever) but he's not yer beefcake-type, more of yer wily hustler (no, not *that* kind of a hustler)). And as far as plot goes, you've got all the twists and turns of a twisty-turny thing.

Hal Duncan

http://notesfromthegeekshow.blogspot.com/2.../eastercon.html

I read a REALLY really good fantasy novel yesterday and today: THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA by Scott Lynch. It's like SWORDSPOINT as if written by George R. R. Martin. (Actually, all of them share the same editor at Bantam, so this is not too surprising.)

Lawrence Schimmel

http://desayunoencama.livejournal.com/

According to various online stores, June 27th is the offical US release date and June 1st for the UK.

Of course, books are known to have been out weeks before their "official" date, and unless you are Harry Potter latest adventure, bookstores don't really care about official dates.

UK mini-tour for Scott Lynch announced:

http://www.thealienonline.net/ao_030.asp?t...cid=11&iid=3029

Scott Lynch UK mini-tour: dates announced

One of the Fantasy debuts of the year

Submitted by: Ariel

On: 23.05.2006

Scott Lynch, author of The Lies of Locke Lamora is jetting over to the UK next month for his first UK trip to promote his rather superb debut novel.

After being discovered by UK publisher Gollancz, The Lies of Locke Lamora was sold to Bantam in the US in a major six-figure deal and rights have also been snapped up in Germany, France, Holland and Russia.

Word-of-mouth has already attracted the interest of Hollywood movie producers and news of the Tinseltown buzz surrounding this astonishing debut was also reported in US Trade magazine Publishers Weekly. Authors, reviewers and booksellers are queuing up to heap praise on this superb debut novel.

No less a fantasy genre luminary than George R.R. Martin was one of the aforementioned praise-heapers: "This is a fresh, original, and engrossing tale by a bright new voice in the fantasy genre." he said.

"Locke Lamora makes for an engaging rogue, and Camorr is a fascinating and gorgeously realized setting, a city to rival Lankhmar, Amber, and Viriconium. I look forward to returning there for many more visits."

And now, if you live far enough south, you've got a chance to meet Scott in person and get first edition signed of the most talked about fantasy debut of the year – so mark the following dates and get yourself along to say hello:

* Saturday, June 3 - 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. at Forbidden Planet, Shaftesbury Avenue, London

* Wednesday, June 7 - 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. at Ottakar's, 11-17 Castle Street, Norwich

* Wednesday, June 7 - 7 p.m. at Ottakar's, High Street, Lincoln (tickets for this event cost £1 from the store)

* Thursday, June 8 - 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. at Forbidden Planet, Bristol

As always, don't forget to check with the venue before setting off for the event, in case of last-minute alterations and/or cancellations.

Source: Jonathan Weir, Gollancz Books

July's going to be a big month. Temeraire by Naomi Novik comes out in a hardcover Dutch translation and I've been waiting for it, Greg Keyes releases the Blood Knight ( though I still have to read Charnel Prince), Robin Hobb has The Forest Mage coming out and then there's the US edition of Lies of Locke Lamora which I'm going to buy.

Picking up that other new debut, The Blade itself by Joe Abercrombie, this month, and last month I bought In the Eye of Heaven and The Stormcaller by Lloyd, as well as Black Swan Green by David Mitchell. I wonder which one of these newbies will really rank up there with the very best.

I'm about 100 pages into THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA and so far it's good. Nothing grand that will blow your mind -- at least at the moment -- but a very good caper!

It does have the Ocean's Eleven feel. . . And Locke Lamora is a character that readers will instantly like.

I'll keep you posted!

Patrick

I'm about 100 pages into THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA and so far it's good. Nothing grand that will blow your mind -- at least at the moment -- but a very good caper!

It does have the Ocean's Eleven feel. . . And Locke Lamora is a character that readers will instantly like.

I'll keep you posted!

Patrick

At this point in the game, expectations are probably running too high for Lynch.

I don't expect this book to be a life-altering reading experience, but rather a damn good book that entertains me from start to finish. Lynch seems very, very well aquainted with the conventions of the genre and he is playing with them rather than tearing them down.

Consider these things:

This is his first novel.

He is only 28.

This is only book one of a seven-book sequence.

A lot of the pre-publication buzz came from reviewers outside the genre, who claim that this is a book that a non-fantasy audience can enjoy as well.

The news about the movie deal only added to the high expectations and raised the bar even higher.

I hope that the book can actually match the surroundind "hype" and that Lynch does not experience some sort of "backlash".

Calibandar, what did you think of The Stormcaller?

For a book that apparently got so much press in Britain, and has been out for awhile now, it certainly doesn't seem that many people here have read it.

Rhaco,

Haven't read it yet. I am currently reading the other one, in The Eye of Heaven, which I am finding..............not very compelling. I guess it could still come, but sofar not too enthused and I've been reading it for a month.

If anyone wants a taste of the novel, there are two excerpts from Lies on this website

http://stupidnewbie.blogspot.com/2004_03_0...ie_archive.html

There is mention of other excerpts as well, for a total of five... but Lynch seems to have given up on that site... does anyone know if and where one might find more?

I think that Lynch said that Blogger had locked him out of his own blog permanently.

He does have a Live Journal, however.

http://scott-lynch.livejournal.com/

And the cover art for his second novel has been posted online today.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/05750...01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Archived