Top 7 military commanders in ASOIAF (including Robert's Rebellion)

Fetch me a block

5 is too few and 10 is too many. 7 Is lucky.

1. Robert Baratheon. He smashed 3 armies in one day, smashed Rhaegar's Army at the Trident (recognizing that killing the enemy commander will do wonders for destroying your opponent's morale) and almost tore the Iron Islands into the Waves. As Jon Snow puts it, he was a very bold commander.

2. Robb Stark. Defeated two big Lannister armies with brilliance and daring, and won a string of minor to decent victories against the odds. He also had decent subordinates. I think both of the Tullys were good for him. He was clearly a prodigy on the battlefield. Undefeated on the battlefiield.

3. Stannis Baratheon. The most experienced on the list at only 38 years old. Held out the Tyrells, took Dragonstone, smashed the Iron Fleet, captured Great Wyk in the Greyjoy Rebellion and defeated Mance Rayder's host that was ten times his size. Great commander on land and sea. As Jon Snow puts it, he is a very deliberate commander.

4. Brynden 'Blackfish' Tully. Fought in the war of the ninepenny kings, Robert's Rebellion and TWotFK. Noted as being brilliant by everyone and commanded Robb Stark's vanguard regularly.

5. Eddard Stark. Has won his fair share of battles in Robert's Rebellion and the Greyjoy Rebellion, and he was the commander of Robert's vanguard because he knew how to command, but also because he could be trusted. Also undefeated on the battlefield. He recognized that the North needed fortification before TWotFK even started, and saw through Tywin Lannister's plan to spread Edmure Tully's troops thin, which all of the Riverlords fell in to.

6. Tywin Lannister. He's in it for the long haul. He has a fearsome reputation as a commander, and though Robb Stark wiped the floor with him, Tywin has a fearsome reputation for a reason

7. Randyll Tarly. If we are to believe what people say about him, can read the battle better than any commander in Westeros.

Honourable mentions: Edmure Tully, Jon Snow, Jon Arryn and Euron Crow's Eye Greyjoy. The battles of the Fords and Castle Black respectively were military masterpieces, doubtless Jon Arryn had a big commanding role in Robert's Rebellion and Euron's plan for the Shield Islands attack was brilliant.

Edit: Switched some around,changed some descriptions and added 4 honourable mentions.

I'd get rid of Eddard, Tywin, and Stannis.

Stannis defeated the Iron Fleet (big deal with the power of the realm behind you), took Dragonstone after the war was over, and defeated starvation at Storm's end, and no credit for beating the Wildlings. Lost the Blackwater miserably, stuck in the snow in Winterfell. I wouldn't call him bad, he does have a lot of pros on his resume, but they're weak for my liking.

I would consider adding Bloodraven. I also think Tyrion deserves some consideration. Generals need to be smart, and Tyrion did a better job than probably anybody would have. His resume is small though.

I'd get rid of Eddard, Tywin, and Stannis.

Stannis defeated the Iron Fleet (big deal with the power of the realm behind you), took Dragonstone after the war was over, and defeated starvation at Storm's end, and no credit for beating the Wildlings. Lost the Blackwater miserably, stuck in the snow in Winterfell. I wouldn't call him bad, he does have a lot of pros on his resume, but they're weak for my liking.

I would consider adding Bloodraven. I also think Tyrion deserves some consideration. Generals need to be smart, and Tyrion did a better job than probably anybody would have. His resume is small though.

Bloodraven isn't in ASOIAF or Robert's Rebellion. Right about Tyrion though.

I don't think Robb wiped the floor with Tywin. I don't think they ever met in battle.

Tyrion acknowledges Robb is kicking his arse. They didn't meet directly in battle but they fought in skirmishes for months, and it can be assumed that forces in the Westerlands on the Lannister team are 'Tywin's'. If Robb and Tywin are the Commander-in-Chief's of their respective armies, then Robb was beating Tywin.

Good list except I would replace Tywin Lannister with Jon Arryn, who was the real tactical mind behind Roberts Rebellion by most accounts. Tywin was more of a politician than a general, as evidenced by his inability to best the significantly less experienced Robb Stark on the field as you mentioned, and perhaps most infamously the fact that he lost a battle to Edmure Tully of all people.

Tyrion acknowledges Robb is kicking his arse. They didn't meet directly in battle but they fought in skirmishes for months, and it can be assumed that forces in the Westerlands on the Lannister team are 'Tywin's'. If Robb and Tywin are the Commander-in-Chief's of their respective armies, then Robb was beating Tywin.

By this logic Balon Greyjoy beat Robb hands down.

Good list except I would replace Tywin Lannister with Jon Arryn, who was the real tactical mind behind Roberts Rebellion by most accounts. Tywin was more of a politician than a general, as evidenced by his inability to best the significantly less experienced Robb Stark on the field as you mentioned, and perhaps most infamously the fact that he lost a battle to Edmure Tully of all people.

Really? I didn't know that

Really? I didn't know that

I completely blanked on Jon Arryn not being there, I agree on him possibly being the real tactical mind behind RR but Ned and Robert did do their part and shouldn't go without recognition. Jaime's POV during his War Council made me question Tywin as a commander and if all the credit should be given to him, though as the Commander he has the final word on tactics so I guess it might be fair to give it to him.

Also this is going to explode into "ZOMG STANNIS/TYWIN/NED/RANDYLE are overrated!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!"

Tywin's the one that's overrated. His only battle in RR is sacking KL. he's not mentioned during the Greyjoy Rebellion, except in relation to the entire Lannister fleet being burned at Lannisport. He's doing great in Wot5K, till Robb Stark joins the fray, and then he disrespects him as a green boy while Robb showed he was tactically more sound than Tywin, a man almost 4x his age. Littlefinger negotiates the alliance with the Tyrells, which allows him to go to Kings Landing and take Tyrion's glory since there would have been no glory had the city not held.

His big victories are actually against his own bannermen, the Reynes and Tarbecks.

Archived