[Book Spoilers] Melisandre and the Brotherhood

The previews have shown us that Melisandre will somehow interact with the brotherhood without banners. There's the obvious Thoros-Red God Priest connection with the two, but I just realized something else that could happen.

Melisandre could take the place of the Ghost of High Heart in a way. Maybe she meets Arya and says what the Ghost says in the books. I'm sure the very dedicated fans can recited part of them in their sleep.

We already (book readers) know that Melisandre has visions of the future, or just claims to depending on your trust in her. Those who only watch the show know that she's magical with the poison drinking and shadow baby-making.

It also appears Stannis wants to ask for another 'son' from her. Instead of Courtnay could her second shadow assassin go after a man on a bridge? I don't know if her shadows have a reception range, but I don't see why they would be restricted.

That's about the only way I could see Melisandre and the BWB characters connecetd.

Well, in the promos there's a shot with Mel and Gendry, so the idea is that Gendry will work as a replacement for Edric Storm. Good idea about using Mel for prophecies of the Ghost of High heart. Not sure if they'll include those at all, but if they do, it sure makes sense to have Mel do it.

I don't think they're really doing any of the little prophecies tbh. They're not really needed, just fun little things for avid readers to analyse. In the show they would just constrict screen time. I do wish the show focused a bit more on the prophecies, but I can see why they're minimising it.

i saw in the preview mel taking a good look at beric and she kind of has that shocked face that she realises because of all his scars that he has been resurected then she turns to thoros and he gives her a look that confirms that

If they replace Mel with the Ghost of High Heart then who is going to make the prophecy about AA or the PtwP being reborn from the line of Aerys and Rhaella, which imo is a very important part of the prophecy? Also I can see why they left most parts of the prophecy out but the ones made by the GoHH are so metaphorical that you can leave them in. Or atleast the ones that Patchface makes. But that's a bit off-topic.

I was curious, has anyone considered the Mel scenes, with Thoros or Beric, could possibly be done by using visions through the fires?? I'm just thinking that perhaps they will have them connect and interact through the fires, not necessarily that Melisandre will physically be with The Brotherhood for the scenes.

I was curious, has anyone considered the Mel scenes, with Thoros or Beric, could possibly be done by using visions through the fires?? I'm just thinking that perhaps they will have them connect and interact through the fires, not necessarily that Melisandre will physically be with The Brotherhood for the scenes.

No, she's definitely interacting with Beric and Gendry. It would also be super cheesy Harry Potter style to do that and there's no precedent to assume its even possible.

It's pretty much agreed that Gendry is taking on the role of Edric Storm, and Melisandre will retrieve him. Also, Bryan Cogman confirmed over on WiC that GRRM wrote the scene between the two of them; it's in episode 7.

It's stuff like this in the show that depresses me a lot, because to me this says that the two won't have unique roles to play in the future, especially if it was written by GRRM...

It's stuff like this in the show that depresses me a lot, because to me this says that the two won't have unique roles to play in the future, especially if it was written by GRRM...

Why not? So many people talk about this change as if Stannis did actually burn Edric. Gendry is not going to die in Dragonstone. Davos can send him away back to the Riverlands and everything will be the same once again, almost like the change had never happened.

Why not? So many people talk about this change as if Stannis did actually burn Edric. Gendry is not going to die in Dragonstone. Davos can send him away back to the Riverlands and everything will be the same once again, almost like the change had never happened.

Exactly. Plus, a few shots in various promos show Melisandre reacting in amazement at seeing how Thoros has resurrected Beric. Could this be hinting towards Jon Snow's eventual resurrection? Only time will tell.

But stuff like that doesn't work on TV. It would be pretty unsatisfying if a character who is only on for maybe a scene with no characterization actually ends up having some huge role in the series. its like Mago (sp?) and GRRM saying that he has a big role. There is literally nothing Mago can do that he can't be replace by a random Dothraki. Its the same for Storm. There is nothing he can do that is so impotant that D&D couldn't just make up a bastard to accomplish it if they had to.

I'm looking forward to the interactions between Thoros and Mel. They're the two most prominent Red Priests in the books yet have wildly different personalities and general outlooks. Maybe Mel will teach Thoros how to read the flames. Would be fun to give her the "wold child, blood child" lines (or whatever she calls Arya) since I'm 98% sure we won't see the Ghost of High Heart.

No, she's definitely interacting with Beric and Gendry. It would also be super cheesy Harry Potter style to do that and there's no precedent to assume its even possible.

I do think, eventually, it seems Mel will actually interact with them, I just meant perhaps the initial scenes would be more along the lines of the fire visions. There's alot of things that happen on the show that doesn't tie into the books, and I wouldn't rule out the idea of it being like visions seen in the fires, at first anyway. They have to find some way to show the non reading audience that there really is something to all these visions that are seen in the fires, perhaps an initial peek through Mel to The Brotherhood would be one way to do that.

Granted I could be wrong, it was just something I wondered about. Last we knew, Mel was at Dragonstone, how the heck does she turn up in the next episode in the middle of The Riverlands with The Brotherhood, if I understand that part correctly.

It also appears Stannis wants to ask for another 'son' from her. Instead of Courtnay could her second shadow assassin go after a man on a bridge? I don't know if her shadows have a reception range, but I don't see why they would be restricted.

This wouldn't work, A: because it would conflict with the important fact that whilst Mel may have predicted the deaths of the three kings, she certainly wasn't responsible for any of them, B: because show watchers - and book readers for that matter - would all think: why the hell doesn't she kill someone like Tywin or Joffrey if her shadow babies are so powerful? which would aid significantly in getting Stannis onto the throne, C: because it would make the entire character of Euron confusing, and D: because having a FM scene would be badass (if done well, naturally).

and I have come to the conclusion that I do like the idea of Thoros and Mel having a little chat. One of the great things about the show is that we can see scenes between interesting non-POV characters interacting with each other.

I actually ship them... :blushing:

:leaving:

Archived