[Big Book Spoilers] Thoros and Melisandre

- This is the video for a Game of Thrones: New Characters feature. At 8:11, it shows Thoros, Beric and Melisandre. Melisandre looks shocked, probably because she is looking at Beric's wounds, and can't believe he is alive.

I'm almost certain this didn't happen in the book, so there has to be a reason for such a major deviation. Also, she'll have travelled pretty fast...

Is this so she can gain the knowledge to do something to a certain character at the end of Dance/Start of Winds?

(I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post it, but seen as it is about the show, I thought it was the correct place. Also, if there is another post like this, I apologize.)

Hmm... true from what I recall Melisandre and Thoros never meet in the Book. I would have assumed that Melisandre is more the Master and Thoros the Padawan but maybe only since Melisandre is more the major character.

Nevertheless I think the majority have assumed that they have similar powers that Melisandre has not yet demonstrated. I think the greyjoys that were headed to Mureen also had hooked with a red priest with healing power so it seems common for order.

Everyone complains over the fast travel with certain characters. I guess red priests have also mastered breeding of the gold chocobo. I could never be bothered with that

I think the speculation is that she is getting Gendry who will take the place of Edric Storm. Also gives the Stannis crew a bit more to do this season, as they probably won't be at the wall by Season 4.

Having said that, I'm slightly disappointed that they seem to be making Melisandre seem such a dark character, since I particularly like her, especially after her chapter in Dance. In the Unsullied thread in TwP, some people want to see her burned alive by Dragonfire, which I find shocking. Does she tease Davos about his son's death in the books? Does she burn people alive because they follow a different faith (I remember the burning people, but my impression was that Stannis was killing traitors who were plotting to surrender to the Lannisters, not just anybody still following the Seven). And I was also disappointed that she didn't offer Cressen an out back in Season 2.

I think that they are always looking for someone to be a victim or sacrifice of Melisnadre's fires since there is a general shortage of guys condemned to death.......and that she is dying to get a hold of someone with King's blood for some reason

We can really figure out what is up with these red priests.... we know that they are supposed to be to opposite of the dark power that is behind the white walkers but they are still kind of dark characters themselves.

I'd say this is the reason the story is better then goofy star wars since there is more complicated in the good vs evil thing. Here it is fire and ice....we don't know where the good is on that spectrum

It's been a long time since I read the novels, but I always got the impression that Mel is ruthless and very dedicated to her faith. So her portrayal on the show is in my opinion quite accurate.

I'm very eager to see the interaction between her and Thoros. If I can recall correctly we haven't seen two red priests interacting neither in the books nor on the show and I wonder if Thoros will agree on tossing Gendry on the pyre. I highly doubt it, so it will be interesting to hear how each of them explain why their way is the way of R'hllor and how they see the Red God.

Archived