[Book Spoilers] Official Theon Thread

BananaSpice

It's kind of interesting that a bow would have been considered a coward's weapon, since in ASOIAF they're always calling poison a "coward's weapon" and Ramsay probably poisoned his brother. Ties in nicely to that.

Until shortly before the start of the series he was just a dude living in a mill with a stinky necrophiliac buddy and nothing to his name except bitterness. Anything peasant-y works fine.

Edit: someone mentioned last page that they might be in Hornwood lands, I didn't think of that. By this point in the books he'd already kidnapped Lady Hornwood and starved her, so if he's acting Lord of the Hornwood now that would explain why he's secure enough in his position to run around indiscriminately killing his own men as a part of his game. (not that it needs an excuse at all since he's a crazy fucker)

What people reveled in his character's treatment of others? Theon deserves death, there is no question, but he didn't deserve that, its a testament to GRRM writing that while I will never forgive Theon for the havoc his stupidity caused, I felt immense sympathy for him. He was a dumb spoiled boy who caused a lot of unintended destruction, and for that he deserves to die, but not be tortured out of his identity. WTF is wrong with people?

Yes, I agree he will probably be a great creepy Ramsey, I don't know, I've tried to explain enough times why the casting seems so strange to me, its not that big of a deal, if TV Ramsey gets a huge twitter fan following, I won't even say I told you so.

Oh he'll have a huge following, of that I have no doubt. he already does. People "enjoy" his character in a number of different ways besides "he's a good villain" and it used to legit bum me out until I learned to laugh at the sheer absurdity of it.

If you haven't already and you've ever got time to kill, you should definitely watch Misfits on hulu, all the episodes are there to watch even for free users. It's a great show (well it's pretty hit or miss actually but i love it anyway!) and it will give you a glimpse at Rheon doin' his thing, especially his persona in the first series

Edit: someone mentioned last page that they might be in Hornwood lands, I didn't think of that. By this point in the books he'd already kidnapped Lady Hornwood and starved her, so if he's acting Lord of the Hornwood now that would explain why he's secure enough in his position to run around indiscriminately killing his own men as a part of his game. (not that it needs an excuse at all since he's a crazy fucker)

This seems possible, as does the Dreadfort. One of the nicest things about this particular story line is that we're nearly as disoriented as the ones who haven't read the books.

I distinctly remember a shot of Yara in one of the trailers released before the premiere aired, so we know that she'll have some sort of part to play this season. Whether it directly involves Theon or is simply set-up for the upcoming Kingsmoot and ironborn conflict is anyone's guess. Maybe she'll just be there to remind us that Balon exists before his death, because most people have forgotten him.

i like the introducing him as ''good'' character WHEN WE KNOW WHAT SHIT'S GONNA GO DOWN, WE KNOW

I'm starting to think this might even be part of the reason why we're getting Locke The Loyal Leech Lord Bannerman instead of Vargo Hoat the Lithping Merthenary. Locke being savage and brutal can be be the hint at the true M.O. of House Bolton/The Dreadfort yet not give away the surprise at the end of this season, as would happen if we saw scenes with Roose signing off on these actions. To say nothing of the revelation that Roose's bastard son is the Sickest Puppy in a story full of Sick Puppies. Either of these could telegraph betrayal too far in advance. Locke can be dismissed by Bolton -- and by the audience watching the show -- as a rogue element.

Once they pull the curtain back and Rheon's "Boy" gets identified as Ramsay The Bastard Of Bolton, it won't be hard for show-only fans to put two and to together.

In light of all this I am REALLY curious to see how they handle Harrenhal next week, assuming Locke drags the maimed Jaime there to meet up with his boss, as Robb has left Roose in charge of it (and Qyburn is presumably still recuperating there) and get the show back in sync (mostly) with the book.

*shrug* They cast an actor who could do disturbing sick puppy well. Iwan can play a very sick puppy.

I think they're trying to make his unveiling epic and horrible because the show needs a villain who can fill the gap when Joffers bites the dust. Say what you want about Joffrey, his actor is bloody fantastic at making you feel visceral loathing.

Archived