Does anyone like Catelyn?

The Crow

It seems to me that everyone seems to hate Cat, i like her and i dont understand why others dont.

they say she complains too much, but you would do more than complaining if most of your children and your spouse was killed.

I'm quite firmly in the Cat dislike camp but you're by no means alone. There are many posters on this forum who like her, I know Eadoin's (pretty sure I've spelt it wrong) signature has something like 'Shameless Cat Stan' and I've been in a couple of threads where opinions have become quite heated.

She's one of those characters that's right on the line, you either love her or you hate her.

It seems to me that everyone seems to hate Cat, i like her and i dont understand why others dont.

they say she complains too much, but you would do more than complaining if most of your children and your spouse was killed.

Lots of people really like her, me for example, or Elio Garcia, who created and maintains Westeros.org (his nick on the boards is Ran).

I didn't like Cat but I found her to be a complex character and I understood what motivated her. So even though I disliked her I found her interesting and felt her death at the Red Wedding to be tragic. I wish GRRM would have left her storyline there. The Lady Stoneheart storyline does nothing for me.

You don't have to like a character to find them compelling. I dislike Cersei, and I downright loathe Joffrey and Ramsay, but I also find them to be compelling characters in the book.

She's not on the top of my favorite characters, but it doesn't mean I hate or don't like her. Her chapters are fine, some are interesting while some aren't. As a character, she's likeable but sometimes she does things that you'd like to :bang: .

I like Cat. She isn't my favorite but I liked her. Lady Stoneheart, well she is different, not sure how I feel about her

Can't stand Lady Stoneheart, she currupted the brotherhood without banners and screwed it over, Lord Beric Dondarrion was way better.

When I read the books, every time I turned the page and saw "Catelyn" printed at the top of a new chapter, I would groan. Often coming upon one of her chapters was enough to make me finally click off the lamp and call it a night. Couldn't stand her from the get go, but I couldn't begin to explain why that is. :-/

When I read the books, every time I turned the page and saw "Catelyn" printed at the top of a new chapter, I would groan. Often coming upon one of her chapters was enough to make me finally click off the lamp and call it a night. Couldn't stand her from the get go, but I couldn't begin to explain why that is. :-/

i thought she was interesing, it was the connection to Robb's storyline, which we can both agree was pretty important.

Catelyn was one of my favorites, simply because she was the only way we got to see anything of Robb's story, and we got to see a little bit of Robb's mind, because she knows him so well. She's interesting, but no fount of endless mysteries that some of the characters end up being, she's balanced. Her hatred towards Jon Snow does seem a little irrational, but given that she had it in her mind that he'd try to hurt her children to gain Winterfell (An ambition he DID HAVE as a child...) it makes sense.

I like Catelyn, and everyone I know personally who has read the books likes her too. It wasn't until I've hit the internet that I've found out many didn't, tbh. I think she's an incredibly interesting character, flawed and layered. I even like Lady Stoneheart... Not like her like her, but it's an heartbreaking storyline I'm enjoying.

Mostly I don't understand how can some wildly dislike Catelyn, but love Cersei. And not love her as "she's so interesting", actually understand her and justify her :ack: Catelyn, despite her shortcomings, is wise, strong and humane.

I like Catelyn, and everyone I know personally who has read the books likes her too. It wasn't until I've hit the internet that I've found out many didn't, tbh. I think she's an incredibly interesting character, flawed and layered. I even like Lady Stoneheart... Not like her like her, but it's an heartbreaking storyline I'm enjoying.

Mostly I don't understand how can some wildly dislike Catelyn, but love Cersei. And not love her as "she's so interesting", actually understand her and justify her :ack: Catelyn, despite her shortcomings, is wise, strong and humane.

There are Cersei fans out there? :P

Archived