How would you rate episode 303?

Ran

How would you rate episode 303?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Best episode of the season, no question.

Plus: Jamie's hand was a real suprise, considering HBO's decision to lessen Tyrion's wounds. Now for the rest of the show there will be an added CGI/practical makeup. In the end, too essential to the character arch not to include it, so thumbs up...

Plus: Westerosi Musical Chairs! Varys has great facial expressions...

Plus: Bringing Theon into the story has been handled well, considering he disappears after ACoK and doesn't reemerge until ADwD. I assume letting him go was all one of Ramsay's games he likes to play, which would explain the solider's WTF moment right before the arrow to the head. More mind games and torture to follow, fingers crossed...

Negative: Stannis has a serious case of depression, which, if you think about it, is probably a more realistic reaction to utter defeat than what we get in the books; I always thought he came off as delusional in ASoS after Blackwater. Just didn't like the scene. And where the hell is Mel going? Don't change too much guys...

Negative: Does anyone else feel Dany's storyline is being rushed? There's a lot more action for her here than in S2, but it seems like they're burning through it rather quickly. I would like more time in Astapor, more Unsullied and more slavers. I was already irked by her scenes in episode one of season three, what with the nonsense of Selmy running around in the Obi Wan robe and his less than shocking reveal, I was hoping for something more. Plus, has anyone noticed in the opening credits just beyond Astapor there's another city? I assume this is Mereen, which implies they are going to leave out Yunki. After the liberation of Yunki Dany earns the title of "Mother" or "Mysha" which just so happens to be the last episode of the season's title. Are they going to cut these scenes? Slow it down folks! And if there's no "Time to cross the Trident" line from Dany next week I'll be pissed...

Negative: End credits music choice took me out of the moment. Bear and the Maiden Fair I get, but why not give us the version sung in Westeros, you know the one everyone was singing earlier in episode? The more I reflect on this the more I hate the decision....

This episode has certainly raised my awareness regarding the Others. I never knew they were great artists, capable of creating brilliant ground murals in the show using only the heads of dead horses. Hot Pie's artistry with the wolf-bread also deserves a special mention.

Does anyone else feel Dany's storyline is being rushed? There's a lot more action for her here than in S2, but it seems like they're burning through it rather quickly. I would like more time in Astapor, more Unsullied and more slavers. I was already irked by her scenes in episode one of season three, what with the nonsense of Selmy running around in the Obi Wan robe and his less than shocking reveal, I was hoping for something more. Plus, has anyone noticed in the opening credits just beyond Astapor there's another city? I assume this is Mereen, which implies they are going to leave out Yunki. After the liberation of Yunki Dany earns the title of "Mother" or "Mysha" which just so happens to be the last episode of the season's title. Are they going to cut these scenes? Slow it down folks! And if there's no "Time to cross the Trident" line from Dany next week I'll be pissed...

It is sped up on purpose. I think that D&D has done this smartly. Dany gets to be a BAMF this season, ending the Unsullied industry in Asatapor by episode 4 and possibly taking the other cities in Slaver's Bay by the end of this episode. Since she is extremely popular among TV viewers, it will be the only positive thing that keeps the viewers watching after the RW. The PW will only be shown in season 4, along with the Battle at the Wall/Castle Black.

I'll give it a generous 8. (It's close to 7)

Theon - Excelent plot, enjoyed every bit of it. 10

Stannis - Dumb plot. They show Melissandre leaving, but to make the time spent worthwhile, they show several minutes of horny Stannis begging for sex. Stupid plot line. 0

Arya - Boring plot line, nothing there. OK hot pie will no longer be a part of the show. Thanks for wasting my time. 1

Jon - Short but fantastic, straight to the point, Mance stole the show. 10

Nightwatch - it was OK. I could've done without the birth, but I guess they want to keep developing Piggy's relationship. 6

Rob - Introduction of Tullys was non existent so for a non-reader those two characters are a puzzle. The scenes were great though, enjoyed them a lot. Fierce Rob was great: 9.

Lady Stark - Boring. 0.

Tywin Roundtable - Whatever. It's watchable but impertinent. 2.

Tyrion/Pod - Whatever, Watchable but impertinent. 2.

Jaime Briene - Awesome - 10

Daenerys - This story is moving along quite well. I liked it a lot. 10.

Edited by Hoo

Yeah, and I mean book readers know how the season's going to end anyway, so why bother making the show?

That is the whole problem with too many folks on this site. They watch the show with a checklist in mind, checking off scenes from the book. They don't even care or are oblivious about good television.

Just watched the episode. Loved it! 9 points from me. Excellent television.

Best points (to me):

• Riverrun (the castle)
  • Introduction of the Tullys: Changed from the books; but not necessarily for the worse. Well fleshed out characters.
  • Hot Pie's goodbye
  • Craster's look when he called Sam a pig and licked his lips :devil:
  • Dany's negotiations with Kraznys
  • Theon being pursued and knocked off his horse by the Dreadfort men

Weak points:

• Stannis / Mel at the beach (WTF?? Stannis suddenly witty yet whiny?) :bs:
  • Podrick in the whorehouse, later getting all patted on the back for whatever (what was the point of that??)
  • Brienne howling as she was dragged away for rape

Shock points for sudden ultra-graphic brutality:

• "This here should help you remember..." :ack:

I think people who dislike the show should generally not watch the previews and the character introduction videos. And not read all the text about the episodes beforehand. Spoiling yourself by letting others tell you what to expect is a surefire way to ruin your enjoyment of the show.

Edited by BreastplateWithNipples

9/10. Best episode of Season 3 so far. Daenery's storyline a lot more watchable this season.

Liked the Blacfish and Riverun scenes.

Only disappointment for me was the Podrick scene - unecessary - only reason I could see it being included was to give Tyrion and Bronn some more time together, but it didn't work for me. I would rather more time was given to thecrucial plot lines.

I loved the episode. Thoros' brief appearance was enjoyable, the Tully men were brilliant, and Mance delivered once again. It's just a shame that there isn't more time for the crows. I also liked how the show took it slow in the right places, rather than rushing through all the scenes as it's had a tendency to do the first two episodes. The negotiation was excellent, and I love how they give subtitles to the Astapori.

LOVED Jaime's fingers twitching at the end. Made it look freaking real. Just a great episode all around. The only real negative was the end theme. That was a terrible decision, and hopefully one they don't make again.

Edited by Wankerfell

A well deserved 8.

What I liked:

- Arya/Hot Pie scene. Is there any scene (yet!) where Arya is not cute?

- Locke. How's Roose going be scarier than this bloke?

- Tyrion. Back in the game after his dada knocked him down.

- Robb/Blackfish. Robb's still mad as hell. Blackfish' got his back.

- Catelyn(!). Usually I really don't care for her. She outdid herself this time.

- The Harpy of Astapor.

- Missandei :drool:

- References: Rhaegar, Iron Bank

What I didn't like:

- Pod scene. Didn't hate it, but I have my priorities. They should have replaced this one with more screentime for Robb/Arya.

- Mance. I love Hinds, but up until now he hasn't delivered.

- Stannis. Too clingy.

And in general: too many storylines, not enough time to add adequate depth to certain characters. I'm wondering how they'll handle this in future seasons. Don't get me wrong, I want Dorne and to a lesser extent the Iron Islands in upcoming seasons. But it's going to require pro level juggling.

Edited by Moseh Khayim

Gave it an 8.

- Jaime/Brienne stuff was great. Jaime's behanding came out of nowhere, which was nice.

- I thought the Riverrun stuff was fairly strong. However I will say that the Blackfish is a total asshole to poor Edmure.

- Aw Hot Pie.

- Dany's bargaining scene with the slaver was a pretty awesome scene, maybe the best in the ep. Didn't like her "we're not men, gurl powah!" line.

- Ramsay stuff was excellent. Point blank arrow execution - wow.

- The scenes beyond the wall were all the best so far this season.

- The Small Council scene was top tier. I have no problem with Pod and his whores, it's nice to fit in a light-hearted fun scene like that while we're still early in the season.

- It's nice to hear the Bear and the Maiden Fair, but the rock version in the credits felt completely out of place. This isn't True Blood.

- Iron Bank was mentioned. I think that bodes well, the writers are setting a bit of stuff up for further down the track.

Yes, thought the Pod scene was hilarious!

Music during the credits following Jaimie's hand being cut off - mind-blowing juxtaposition. When I heard the music, for the first second or two, I thought the channel had somehow changed to another one! Then, WTF?

LOVED the way that the scene with Jaime and Brienne - the Jaime starting with his 'golden tongue bit' was done SO well. "Yes, I do love partridge, " what a scream (paradoxically).

The Arya scene didn't do much, but I guess it was necessary as a set up for Sandor's meeting with Beric next episode, and I liked the closure with Hotpie.

Thought the bit about the horses at the Fist was really inventive - very impressive.

Glad the Riverrun bit was true to the story. Edmure's exposure as a real dolt was quick and effective. Have always loved the bit where he can't get a flaming arrow to his father's bier. The blackfish!!! Awesome.

The whole Astapor scene - amazing! Dany was perfect, and I loved Misandre,,,she's going to be terrific! Also loved the Valor Morgulis bit - now the non-book audience knows what that means (for men, though...Dany's a force to be reckoned with. Can NOT wait for the next episode re Dany's pillaging of Astapor.

For next episode - Mel better leave Gendry alone or I'll go beat her up! Did like Mel telling Stannis his fire was too low -- lol.

I'm sure I've missed something, but gotta get ready for work - bummer.

ETA: Gave it a 9.

Edited by Not Only But Also

Not a fan of teh last scene stylistically, nor the Pod scene, otherwise pretty good. Going to have to accept the way they are changing all the characters, found Aiden's LF voice more grating than ever as he literally chews up the scenery alla a Bond Villain which was quite jarring. Liked seeing Theon's escape attempt. Some good dialogue attempts to save mistakes made earlier in the series, like Jaime-Brienne conversation and Robb berating Edmure, but actually avoiding the need for these dialogues in retrospect (which whilst good attempts are far clumsier than showing and telling things as they actually happen) would have been preferable. Didn't really need to see a contortionist prostitute to be honest. So a mix of pretty bloody good (any scene I haven't complained about but especially Dany's ones which is rare) and pretty bad. Averages to 7