How would you rate episode 303?

Ran

How would you rate episode 303?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it an 8 but I'm a tough grader. I almost gave it a 9 just because of Craster's laugh. Seriously how awesome was that laugh?

The Pod scene is a great scene. It's well acted and humorous,and asks the viewer why this thing may have happened - adding layers to the complexity and subtlety of the KL plot and the game of thrones. People complaining about...I guess I don't understand. It's a great scene, and not at all a "Waste of time."

8.5/10- Overall a good episode but there where some misteps

The best:

Riverrrun- Michelle Fairley breaks my heart and I love how they manage the concept of Cat being strong for others after Cat's "character assesination moment" last week. The Blackfish is awesome. I like how they manage to merge the plots of Edmure's mistep and with the Lannister hostages, which was a concerned for me last season.

Theon- Alfie Allen is great and I love that even though I read the books am still intrigued to where this is going. Plus the "you little bastard" line was awesome.

Dany- Pretty faithful to the books. I like the "we are not men" line. After the disappoinitng last season am glad that I actully look forward to see what's going on with Dany.

Arya and the BWB- Arya's pack is dissolving. Hot Pie and that "wolf" shaped bread :crying:.

Neutral

Jaime and his hand- Not epic enough in my book, plus for me the fact that Brienne defeated him so easily last episode to later mock him for it in this one doesn't really convey the non book readers how much of a prodigy with the sword Jaime was and what the loss of his hand truly means for him. Other than that the scene was fine.

NW at Craster's- Fine scene. Not much to complain, only that I would have like some more despair like the sick and the wounded who arrived only to die there. Craster licking his lips after saying that Sam was good for eating was priceless.

Stannis- While I do appreciate how defeated he looks he also appears like a whining prick. Stannis isn't my favorite but he's more complex than this. Otherwise, am interested in Mel's coming and goings. I wasn't very sold on this aspect but it looks promising.

Worst-

LF- But what else is new? Plus I totally hate the cheap ways they try to come up in order to introduce Ros into a scene. They made something as pedestrian as passing a few books into a prolongued boring scene for the benefit of what? Ros's cleavage?

Tyrion, Pod and the whores- There was some humour in it but definetely not enough to compensate what is otherwise an overly long, pointless and boring scene that swallows more important information like that of the Bank of Bravoss

Jon and the wildings- The only good thing I can say is that thank god it was short. This storyline and Kit Harington's acting get closer and closer to a parody with every passing episode.

Edited by Winterfellian

I gave this episode an '8' - a high 8, the best of the season. (My previous grades: 3x01: 8, 3x02: 7)

Overall I really appreciate the comedy bits (all really funny), juxtapositioned with disturbing elements. Also, I was VERY impressed by the first directorial effort by our show-runners.

Best bits:

+ Initial funeral scene

+ Musical chairs at the council meeting :)

+ Pod escapades :D

+ Mance's "ever the artists"

+ Dany stuff

+ Hot Pie goodbye - surprisingly poignant (and funny)

+ hand cutting well done

Worst bits:

- Why no exterior view of Riverrun? I missed that.

- I did not care for the end credits music

Edited by Titan

I gave this episode an '8' - a high 8, the best of the season. (My previous grades: 3x01: 8, 3x02: 7)

Overall I really appreciate the comedy bits (all really funny), juxtapositioned with disturbing elements. Also, I was VERY impressed by the first directorial effort by our show-runners.

Best bits:

+ Initial funeral scene

+ Dany stuff

+ hand cutting well done

Worst bits:

I know! The closest we got was Riverrun in the opening credits, which was still cool though. Maybe next week we can get an exterior shot of the castle!

I think that D&D are doing a really good job of collapsing the story while getting the flock of characters through the right gates at the right times. Every season is a Meereenese Knot for them.

Do I think it is different, yes. However, I still think it is excellent and I am learning a lot about the the differences between TV and book story telling from this adaptation.

I rated this episode a 7, not because I didn't like it but because I am looking forward to even better episodes later! I need a range at the top :)

9/10.

Loved everything except for three things:

1. The music at the end was completely out of place considering the mood of the final scene, but maybe it will improve on additional viewings.

2. The Pod scenes with the whores were a complete waste of time. Cheapest humour on the show so far.

3. Ser Barristan's beer gut.

1. The music at the end was completely out of place considering the mood of the final scene, but maybe it will improve on additional viewings.

The whole point is that it's completely out of place for the mood. Do you think your keen detection skills picked up something HBO missed like wearing a pair of socks that don't really go with your shoes?

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

9/10.

Loved everything except for three things:

2. The Pod scenes with the whores were a complete waste of time. Cheapest humour on the show so far.

3. Ser Barristan's beer gut.

1. I've watched it twice. The music does not get better.

2. Disagree. Tyrion repaid his debt to Pod and the reaction when Pod returns the bag of coins, is priceless.

3. It's the aging process.

The whole point is that it's completely out of place for the mood. Do you think your keen detection skills picked up something HBO missed like wearing a pair of socks that don't really go with your shoes?

By that logic television producers can't ever make a bad scene as their "detection skills" are always superior to the viewers'.

8/10

What I liked:

• Dany's scenes - particularly "He was not the Last Dragon".
  • Catelyn and the Blackfish
  • Jaime and Brienne scenes
  • The small council meeting
  • Arya's scene

What I didn't like:

• The wasted time with characters dragging chairs... For all D&D's talk of "time constraints", it would appear that there is plenty of extra room within episodes...
  • Hoster's funeral was handled pretty badly. Brynden was respectful and sympathetic to Edmure in the books; why was that changed?
  • The Tyrion and Pod whorehouse scene. Ugh. I feel sorry for Peter Dinklage - he's been given some of the worst scenes of the entire show so far this season, just so that he can appear in the episode. The scene with the prostitutes and the fact that they didn't take Tyrion's money just makes me feel ill. Again I'm reminded of the "time constraints" excuse...
  • Stannis and Melisandre... AWFUL writing. Not only did Stannis feel like a different character, but Melisandre felt completely... normal. It was hard to remember that she's a fire priestess who casts shadowbabies and is probably hundreds of years old.

The episode was quite good overall. Without the Dany scenes it would have been awful though. She's the driving force of the show at the moment IMO.

I gave the episode a 9/10.

The positives:

- Riverrun: Just a series of wonderful scenes, I really enjoyed them all. I also wish that there was an establishing shot of Riverrun. Michelle Fairley is just wonderful! I also really enjoyed Edmure. (Though I did glimpse Riverrun behind Edmure in the opening scene).

- The Theon chase was beautifully shot.

- Musical chairs was brilliant.

The negatives:

- Pod and the whores. The Meereenese knot was particularly creepy looking.

- Aiden Gillen continues to disappoint.

- Repition in the dialogue: twat, 'the world' as opposed to seven kingdoms etc.

Gave it a 7. On the whole a good enough episode, nothing to write home about either way. The hand amputation scene didn't measure up, imo, but then again my non-readers were genuinely shocked by it, so... :dunno:

Visually, not as beautiful as we've come to expect from GOT, but the Theon chase scene was well done. Well paced, well blocked, and well edited. David Benioff gets kudos for the best action scene in the season so far.

Best scenes:

Catelyn at the window talking about Bran and Rickon. I wept with her and for her. She's a wonderful actress, but in that scene she was nothing short of brilliant. She better win an Emmy this season.

The chairs. Such a lovely scene and not a word is uttered.

Meh scenes:

True, the whores were pointless, but they the scene did give us a laugh or two, mainly thanks to Dinklage.

Dany in Essos. Emilia is so bloody wooden, her face and voice so exp<b></b>ressionless that I can't watch her without yawning. I can not connect to her at all.

Worst:

Ending credits music: my reaction to it was WTF, and mute.

ETA:

I might have to add Sir Barristan to my list of worst actors on the show.

Edited by Sun

9. It was incredible. Only complaint was the scene with Pod, but that was so short it hardly mattered. That added scene where Hot Pie makes the wolf for Arya absolutely did me in. It was so sad and lovely.

ETA: I forgot about Stannis' scene because we only saw him once this episode. Knocking it down to an 8.5 for that, because what the fuck? But I'll keep my vote on 9 as I round up.

Edited by Vis

I gave it an 8, like I did for ep 2. I still consider it not yet awesome enough to go all the way to the 9's or 10's, though this was a good step up to it.

Some interesting scenes, and that last image certainly was a showstopper (in an icky way).

What stuck most in my mind: Arya and her weird cake gift from Hot Pie; Theon being hunted and Boy being mysterious; the "Mereenese knot" being mentioned (I heard that right, right?), Jaime...

Worst-

LF- But what else is new? Plus I totally hate the cheap ways they try to come up in order to introduce Ros into a scene. They made something as pedestrian as passing a few books into a prolongued boring scene for the benefit of what? Ros's cleavage?

Tyrion, Pod and the whores- There was some humour in it but definetely not enough to compensate what is otherwise an overly long, pointless and boring scene that swallows more important information like that of the Bank of Bravoss

A significant portion of the tv audience tunes in every week specifically for a few minutes of Ros-boobs and Tyrion/Bronn japery. Characters and their relationships to each other is what captivates audiences; not hints of economics and finance based stroylines that wont pay off for another three seasons. (get it...pay off ;)

Best bits:

+ Initial funeral scene

+ Dany stuff

+ hand cutting well done

Worst bits:

You get to see it at Hoster's funeral, even though it's only in the background and mostly out of focus.