How would you rate episode 303?

Ran

How would you rate episode 303?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I thought it was the strongest episode of the season by far. I'm still not a fan of where Benioff and Weiss are spending alot of their time -- Theon's storyline or Pod's sexcapades are just eating up far too much screentime which could be served in developing some of the main characters (Danny, Jon, the Stark kids, etc...), but this was a vast improvement over the last 2 episodes.

I did like the Game of Chairs. It was actually a pretty funny and subtle character development scene.

I loved the Theon horse chase sequence as well, an exceptionally well crafted if not necessary scene - although it was a nod to Ramsey's love of hunting people. Although it retrospect, I'm not sure I'm liking their take on Ramsey. I would have preferred a much colder sociopath than this warm and cuddly mind fucker they have presented so far. And I didn't like the ending with Ramsey killing his own men. This is such tired trope in television and film. People just don't kill their own minions! Otherwise, you will never be able to have your own minions!!

I loved the casting of the Blackfish, just wish he and Edmure had been introduced much earlier in the series (late Season 1 or early Season 2).

I even liked a Talisa scene - which is the first that has ever happened!

I'd give the episode a solid 7.

Edited by pleonasm

I just finished the episode.

I loved:

- The scene with Hot Pie, Arya, and Gendry. The wolf bread was so sweet. It made me want to cry.

- Dany's scenes were very good. Soooo much better than last season. Jorah is being so sassy to Barristan and I love it. And Jorah is so fine.

- The bit where everyone was moving the chairs in the council room, but I think it went on too long

- Brienne and Jaime's dialogue. Jaime's facial expressions when Brienne is about to get raped. He seems so conflicted over saving her.

- Jaime's hand removal literally came out of nowhere

- Before Ramsay (aka "Boy", at this point he isn't revealed) kills the guy about to rape Theon, the guy says "You little bastard." Such an awesome tip to book readers, because WE know it's Roose's bastard.

- Michelle Fairley's acting is fucking phenomenal.

- I actually didn't mind Talisa's scene.

I didn't like:

- Stannis/Mel scene. Mel's acting was very weird and not at all mystical or otherworldly like she has been before.

- Pod/Tyrion/Bronn scene. I don't mind the added sex stuff usually but the stuff where Ros was giving him the books and then the scene of him in the brothel was just too long. And in the end, the joke with him not having to pay the whores because he's just SO GOOD at sex? It wasn't funny to me.

- Littlefinger's acting is just terrible.

- Mance Rayder continues to disappoint.

And I didn't like the ending with Ramsey killing his own men. This is such tired trope in television and film. People just don't kill their own minions! Otherwise, you will never be able to have your own minions!!

People normally don't, but Ramsay believably could. He would kill his own minions just for the sake of his sick games. That's what sets him apart.

Good episode overall. Loved some scenes, disliked some others, hated the credits.

the good:

-Dany vs. Master Karazek - gotta love that nasty bald berk; I'm saddened that his untimely end is likely coming in the next episode. He should get his own shows or something where he gets to ridicule Dany for an hour straight. The translator was great as well. Dany's actress wasn't as wooden as usual this time around either, it seemed to me.

-Small Council meeting chair hilarity. I actually laughed out loud at Tyrion. Great acting all around.

-Aria-Hot Pie-Gantry farewell. Very touching scene. The misshapen wolf was cute.

-Brianne/Jamie dynamic. It seems he's taken a liking to her after all. Nice character development for Jamie over time, and more of that surely to come now that he's lost his main asset. The scream in the final scene wasn't very convincing though.

the bad:

-Pointless hooker scene again. Who's still wowed by T&A on TV? The Joffrey BDSM scene at least served a purpose, but this? Ditto poor Podrick.

-Talisa or whatshername. I don't care that she wasn't in the book, I just don't like the actress.

-Stannis played for a fool by Melisandre. Breaks my heart. He deserves better.

-Edmure being such a jerk-off. Was that in-line with the novel? He seemed quite capable to me in CoK, certainly not the laughing stock of Riverrun.

the ugly:

-Credits country music - totally killed the ending for me. Why not play Gangnam style instead, I'm sure that'd provoke even more WTF reactions if that was the intent.

Absolutely loved this episode.

We only got a snippet of Jon with the wildlings but I loved Mance's line something along the lines of "ever the artists" about the Others.

I thought the meanicing undertones of what's about to happen at Craster's keep was done very well.

I like what they're doing with Theon. Non-book readers are going to get smacked pretty hard in the face with Ramsey's level of cruelty and depravity when it dawns on them.

I really enyoed the Riverrun scenes. The Blackfish was great, I loved Robb's reaction to Edmure (played perfectly) and even liked Cat's scenes this episode.

The Jamie/Brienne scenes were excellent. Seeing Jamie's hand cut off was pretty harrowing, especially after he'd done his good deed to stop Brienne being raped. Steelshanks (I presume it's a character based on him) played that one brilliantly.

Really enjoyed the council meeting. There's so many great scenes like that in the books with lots of main charcters discussing what's going on and making decisions. Loved it.

I enjoyed Danearys toughening up and showing Barristan and Jorah who's boss and I loved the Barristan/Jorah dialogue which was lifted from the book.

Also..."Meerenese knot"!!! :rofl:

Look closely in the background when Edmure is firing the arrows, you can see it reasonably clearly.

Thanks, Rabid! I will have to look for that next time I watch it!

Also, I know this is really random, but does anyone know if Peter Dinklage has read the books? I know that Kit has, but I'm really curious about Peter.

Gave it an 8, a one up over the last two episodes. Aside from the last scene and Dany's scene there weren't really any super awesome stand out scenes, but unlike the last two episodes there weren't any I hated either. And I thought Pod the Pimp was funny even though it could have been a bit shorter.

ETA: Actually the Stannis scene wasn't too cool but other than that it was good.

Edited by protar

Thanks, Rabid! I will have to look for that next time I watch it!

Also, I know this is really random, but does anyone know if Peter Dinklage has read the books? I know that Kit has, but I'm really curious about Peter.

He said he hasn't read them because he didn't want to know too much or something like that back at the emmy panel a few weeks ago.

The end credits. There to make the viewers go WTF enough to not die of heart attacks from the last scene. :lmao:

In all seriousness, I was expecting the hand-cutting to happen in this episode, but not for it happen...like that...so suddenly and disconcertingly...

Catelyn...no words other than "heartbreaking."

I loved Daenerys's smirk when she was trading with Kraznys. You just know she's planning to have Drogon roast his face. Oh and the "oh it's we now?" from Jorah was hilarious. Also the "Rhaegar died' quote. Loved the way it was delivered.

Ah Hot Pie. The only character I can think of off the top of my head leaving the show who doesn't die.

Very high 8 for this episode.

I gave it a 5 and explained why in an earlier post. Just Watched it again. Wtf was up with that scene btw Dany and Missandei?

"valar morghulis".

"yes all men must die.....but we are not men".

Soooooo women don't die? ASOIAF is so appreciated by females because of the strong feminine characters. But this quote is just heavy handed and dumb. I'm surprised Dany didn't throw in a "girlfriend!" while the "I am woman, here me roar" song played in the background. Sheesh....

Edited by Ronrusso75

I gave it a 5 and explained why in an earlier post. Just Watched it again. Wtf was up with that scene btw Dany and Missandei?

"valar morghulis".

"yes all men must die.....but we are not men".

Soooooo women don't die? ASOIAF is so appreciated by females because of the strong feminine characters. But this quote is just heavy handed and dumb. I'm surprised Dany didn't throw in a "girlfriend!" while the "I am woman, here me roar" song played in the background. Sheesh....

What is this post even.

The quote was there because it's a good soundbyte and it's a cool sounding quote for Dany. She's underestimated for being a woman. And she's highlighting that in saying "all men must die", the men forget that women are there too and can be just as powerful.

i dont know why is everyone complaining about the ending credits music

fuck, that rock/punk version of the bear and the maiden fair was the most awesome piece of music i heard in months!

if you didnt like it, well the episode ended right there, nobody told you to continue watching the ending credits, you could just turn it off

but i absolutely LOVED IT

Edited by Vendelin

What is this post even.

The quote was there because it's a good soundbyte and it's a cool sounding quote for Dany. She's underestimated for being a woman. And she's highlighting that in saying "all men must die", the men forget that women are there too and can be just as powerful.

If a viewer can't see that Dany is a person to be taken seriously, regardless of her sex, then they should watch other shows. Again, I'm saying the quote was HEAVY HANDED and silly.

I thought maybe the quote was to show that Dany can understand what the merchant is saying, wasn't that in the books? Anyway, I don't see what's so wrong about it.

I gave the episode a 9, things are picking up and the episode was good, the Jaime/Brienne scenes were great and I wasn't bothered by the music, actually I laughed because I wasn't expecting it, they cut Jaime's hand and suddenly I'm listening to a punk/rock cover if The Bear and the Maiden fair, but I understand why other people didn't like it.

I loved the Arya scene, I didn't expect it to be so moving, but the wolf-bread got me, it was a very nice scene.

The Pod/Tyrion/Bronn scenes weren't bad, but IMO they were longer than necessary.

And I love the Blackfish, he is just like I imagined

Edited by Dark_Sister

If a viewer can't see that Dany is a person to be taken seriously, regardless of her sex, then they should watch other shows. Again, I'm saying the quote was HEAVY HANDED and silly.

I'm not talking about viewers. I'm talking about, oh I don't know, the entire khalasar in season 1, Viserys, many people from Qarth, Kraznys....

i dont know why is everyone complaining about the ending credits music

fuck that rock/punk version of the bear and the maiden fair was the most awesome piece of music i heard in months!

if you didnt like it, well the episode ended right there, nobody told you to continue watching the ending credits, you could just turn it off

but i absolutely LOVED IT

I think it really took away from the drama of the last scene. If there was precedent to playing punk rock music at the end of shows, it probably wouldn't be so "jarring" to quote the first person who criticized the music. But this music came out of nowhere and interrupted my processing of the moment. I read the books and knew it was coming, but I wanted to see how they would pull it off on the series. They nailed it, but then immediately the music came on and it totally threw me off, thus minimizing the power of the moment. And I disagree that the cheerful punk sound served as a clever juxtaposition to the scene. With that reasoning, the producers could have done even more by using a circus theme.

Agree to disagree, but the song just didn't fit IMO.

I thought maybe the quote was to show that Dany can understand what the merchant is saying, wasn't that in the books? Anyway, I don't see what's so wrong about it

She isn't really about "girrrl power" though, it seemed a very out of place modern thing for her to say, and unnecessarily heavy handed, as well, simplistic since Valar Morgulous "all men must die" means men in the universal meaning of humans not males.

Dany isn't talking to the viewers, though. She talking to a young slave girl who has just listened to her master insult and berate this woman. She knows nothing of Dany even if we do.