How would you rate episode 303?

Ran

How would you rate episode 303?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I thought maybe the quote was to show that Dany can understand what the merchant is saying, wasn't that in the books? Anyway, I don't see what's so wrong about it

If that was the case, they didn't do a good job IMO. It would have been better if Dany responded in Valyrian and Missandei reacted in a way that showed the viewer Dany understood everything Krasnys said, even all the insults and sexual remarks. Just felt that quote was dumb. But I have bigger gripes about this episode which I covered in a previous post.

If that was the case, they didn't do a good job IMO. It would have been better if Dany responded in Valyrian and Missandei reacted in a way that showed the viewer Dany understood everything Krasnys said, even all the insults and sexual remarks. Just felt that quote was dumb. But I have bigger gripes about this episode which I covered in a previous post.

I agree, that's why I said maybe, because if that's what they were trying to show they didn't make it clear. As for the quote, I think they were trying to show bad-ass Dany a little, but they usually fail when they do it.

The issue shouldn't be so much if the quote is silly but if it's silly in the way that suits the character or not. For example, the Lannister house words are really silly, but it suits them. Daenerys can be pretty full of herself at times so it wasn't much out of character.

As for Dany talking Valyrian then no, that should definitely not happen until it's dracarys time. Dropping hints are fine, jumping the gun is not.

Edited by Tywin's bastard

The Good

-Riverrun scenes

-"musical" council chairs

-goodbye Hot Pie

-creepy Craster

-Dany

-Theon scenes (great chase sequence)

-Jaime and Brienne

-The Bear and the Maiden Fair (not sure its my favorite rendition, but a good one)

The Meh

-North of the Wall scenes

-Podrick the Pimp (totally gratuitous, but at least it was entertaining)

-Blackfish shoving Edmure

The Bad

-use of Bear and the Maiden Fair (should have been ep 7 - bear pit scene, cut to credits, song, epic)

The issue shouldn't be so much if the quote is silly but if it's silly in the way that suits the character or not. For example, the Lannister house words are really silly, but it suits them. Daenerys can be pretty full of herself at times so it wasn't much out of character.

As for Dany talking Valyrian then no, that should definitely not happen until it's dracarys time. Dropping hints are fine, jumping the gun is not.

I totally hear what youre saying, but I have to disagree slightly. It ultimately is a responsibility of the show writers to not dumb down characters like Dany for a cheap affirmation of Dany's power in a male dominated world. That was totally a "you go girl!" moment which bothers me for some reason. Dany being full of herself as you say is really you're opinion (one I actually share). But there is no objective way to prove that, unlike proving things like Ned is an honorable man, which the novels underscore time and time again.

I really beat this point up by replying so many times. It really isn't that big of deal, but Dany's quote is just another reason why I didn't think this episode was very good. My bigger problems have to do with #1 pacing, #2 pervy-Stannis (talk about character assassination!), #3 the lengthy whorehouse scene and finally that godawful ending song which, to me, undid the incredible drama of the final scene.

I LOVED the episode. I cracked up when they mentioned the Meereenese Knot! And I was so happy that Jorah's quote about Rhaegar was there. Plus, they handled the Tullys so well. The Blackfish is exactly as he should be! I even liked the ending. I gave the episode 8 points, although it could have easily been a 9. I just assume that there are even better episodes ahead. :)

Right now, I'm in love with the season. They have done a much much better job adapting the book than in S2 so far. I hope it stays that way. Let's see where they are going with Mel and Gendry.

I totally hear what youre saying, but I have to disagree slightly. It ultimately is a responsibility of the show writers to not dumb down characters like Dany for a cheap affirmation of Dany's power in a male dominated world. That was totally a "you go girl!" moment which bothers me for some reason. Dany being full of herself as you say is really you're opinion (one I actually share). But there is no objective way to prove that, unlike proving things like Ned is an honorable man, which the novels underscore time and time again.

I really beat this point up by replying so many times. It really isn't that big of deal, but Dany's quote is just another reason why I didn't think this episode was very good. My bigger problems have to do with #1 pacing, #2 pervy-Stannis (talk about character assassination!), #3 the lengthy whorehouse scene and finally that godawful ending song which, to me, undid the incredible drama of the final scene.

I kind of think that it's a fact that Dany is full of herself, but I don't deny you your right to dispute it. I'll explain myself though. Dany is against slavery and unjust rule but never does she seem to hesitate the least when it comes to her own right to rule over others. She often talks about the blood of the dragon, how that makes her special and basically more than other men. She also often seem to think that she knows better how other people should live than they do.

Basically she has a kind heart but she's still very rooted in that she's more special than everyone else. I think the whole thing that "all men must die, but we are not men" goes into her "I'm the blood of the dragon and no one tells me what to do" (paraphrasing).

As for the rest I can't say that much apart from that it's too bad that you didn't like it. I don't see Stannis as very different for wanting to sleep with Mel though, as they clearly did it a lot of times in the book. He's just a bit more emotional instead of being introvert and brooding when he's crushed. I completely understand that not all will accept that though but I think it will swing around nicely when this particular arc for him ends.

The good:

— The woman who plays Catelyn is sensational. The scene where she cries in front of the Blackfish was so heartfelt; what a talented actor. Although they forgot to edit the tears back in on the cut to the close-up! :)

— Blackfish, Blackfish, Blackfish.

— The changes made to Theon/Ramsey etc. Perhaps the biggest departure from the books yet but I thought it was ok actually, no biggie. Sped things along a LOT! Understandably they can only have so much violence in one show. And months and months of perpetual medieval torture doesn't make for great TV...

— Daenerys scenes in Astapor. For once she acted fine for a whole show! Just one or two corny lines, which I'll forgive her for. She looked incredible and lost a bit of her self-entitlement and became strong and more dragonlike.

— The reference to the Meereneese knot. CHEEKY!

— Most of the Jaime/Brienne scenes; if much more toned down in cruelty and suffering compared to the books (expected) until...

— Jaime's hand getting cut off. Holy, holy crap. For a while didn't think they'd do it. They did, oh boy did they. It looked so realistic and I felt sick watching his arm slide away and hearing his cry of agony. But it captured the book perfectly. It's such a critical scene. Even though they used Bolton men (a bit wtf, but they have to simplify everything so it's fair enough).

— The guy who plays Kraznys, the slave master. He's an utterly superb asshat.

— Riverrun. The funeral scene. Robb Stark's actor, as usual, being amazing.

The meh:

— Corny watered-down dialogue between Selmy and Jorah, for the viewer's benefit.

— Missandei aka the translator who cannot act, aka Inexplicably Posh Robotic Slave Girl, who now tragically works for Dani.

— Jon/Mance etc. Boring. Corny.

The ugly:

— The council meeting. Er... where are the Kingsguard? Where is, oh I don't know... EVERYONE?!! King's Landing is apparently empty and 5 or 6 people rule the entire Kingdom with all its logistics. I'm not saying give them all lines. Just show a few more important people here and there, in the background, nodding or talking privately. Throw in a grumpy lordling or two. A serving wench, a knight, a captain, a page, a scribe... someone, anyone! It's the capital city for goodness sakes. No time for musical chairs. Stupid.

— The Podrick getting laid scene. Funny yes. Pointless otherwise yes.

— Stannis acting completely out of character from BOTH previous scenes AND the books. I think they're over-playing the "he's getting weaker, Mel's sapping him of life/dignity" card. Dunno, just did not work IMO. (Mel's sexy though).

— That stupid bloody song in the end credits. What. The. Hell.

Think that's all. Overall, I liked it. 8/10.

Edited by mrlukeduke

— The council meeting. Er... where are the Kingsguard? Where is, oh I don't know... EVERYONE?!! King's Landing is apparently empty and 5 or 6 people rule the entire Kingdom with all its logistics. I'm not saying give them all lines. Just show a few more important people here and there, in the background, nodding or talking privately. Throw in a grumpy lordling or two. A serving wench, a knight, a captain, a page, a scribe... someone, anyone! It's the capital city for goodness sakes. No time for musical chairs. Stupid.

It's a small council meeting. Why would the population of King's Landing be sitting in a small

Council meeting? It's not court, it's a private meeting. That musical chairs scene was a no dialogue portrayal of the attitudes and motivations of each council member, very well acted and entertaining.

I give this a 10/10. Perfect television.

At first I thought Podrick scene was going to be a waste of screen time, but it quickly became one of the funniest moments of the show with the Meerenese Knot joke.

Mance declaring war and the excitement on Tormunds face was epic. Not the way the book Tormund would've reacted but I like this Tormund too.

Unlike some I absolutely loved the end credits and the whole Jaime getting his hand chopped off. The moral ambiguity in the whole setting is why I love this GoT world. A guy who just saved a woman from being raped (but also threw a kid out of a window) is getting his hand chopped off by a guy who is supposedly on the side of the good Northerners. Excellent.

They also set up some memorable events from the book and you kind of get the big picture of how the show is going to pan out this season.

gave it an 8 ...mostly for not enough explanation of the shit going on north of the wall...i mean what's with the horse art...

in addition i am one SOB who was glad to see Pod get laid... :smoking:

You're not supposed to know anything about the Others yet, other than they're not brainless zombies. I find it kind of exciting that way. After 5 books we don't even much about them. I dig the suspense!

really should watch some more shows.

anyways, this was probably the best of the season. but not better than an 8. still a bit disjointed

They should watch more shows because they liked something more than you did? Because they found something they couldn't complain about, and were completely happy with? Oookay, buddy.

They should watch more shows because they liked something more than you did? Because they found something they couldn't complain about, and were completely happy with? Oookay, buddy.

well to consider that perfect television.......i would believe that they are missing out on a lot of stuff that is much much better

it was a pretty good episode but far from perfect