How would you rate episode 303?

Ran

How would you rate episode 303?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

An excellent episode, I gave it an 8/10. I'm very pleased with the season, and this episode is my favorite so far.

The fact that it was consistently humorous was a very, very good thing, considering how sad Catelyn's mourning was and how dark and gut-wrenching the scenes with Theon, Brienne, and Jaime were at the end.

Yeah, it was an 8.5 - 9.0 for me. A nice blend of new scenes (Pod the Pimp, the wildlings discovering those horses, small counsel musical chairs, and Gimme that sweet thang Stannis) and key moments and character beats from the novels. Although the whole Theon plot, and for some reason Brienne screaming, just didn't sit right with me. Two near rapes in one episode was damned brutal.

I finally watched it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it! I don't always "get" the changes that are being made in the television adaptation but I'm starting to trust the writers and just go with it. Loved the scene with Podrick, Tyrion and Bronn. Blackfish didn't look like I had imagined him but he was awesome. The spiral art created from horse parts by the Others was intriguing and beautiful. Crasters Keep was very much how I imagined it. Poor Jaime! And on and on. Great episode! Loved the closing credits tunes!

I agree with most of the people here. I rated it as 9, definitely one of the best so far. My gosh where should I begin? I love the Blackfish! And that part where the Blackfish shot that arrow, he was like "That's how you do it, son." Pod's scene made me laugh. And Khaleesi, well, what can I say she's a hardcore badass. Note to Jorah and Barristan, you don't question your queen's decision in front of other people. Jaime's scene was very well executed. Poor him.

P.S. Loved the "You little bastard" remark.

Edited by Lord Mark

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Been a couple of years since I read the books, so I'm hazy enough not to pick up on every change, which makes it more enjoyable. (My sister sat through The Hobbit making notes on all the deviations from the book, as her son had wisely forbidden her to speak!)

Thumbs down to Sky though, for talking over the end credits with the wonderfully ironic rendition of the Bear.

8/10

The only really bad thing was the Pod/whores scene which was pointless and rubbish filler.

I thought the Dany scenes were great as always. So was the nw at Craster's (Craster totally killed it actually ~ he was awesome). Jaime and Brienne again, pretty good.

I didn't give it 9 because PatrickStormborn pointed out a variety of weird inconsistencies and plot holes that, now I think about them, were somewhat unfortunate and poorly done. There was also the Stannis scene but I'm not too bothered about that.

Still pretty good though.

Since they have several times used music more modern than medieval...having a "punk" song that was way more folky than punk anyway is a complete non issue...we should have nitpicked probably 15 of the 23 credit song choices.

Great choice. Having some ambient lute after something as epic as that ending would have been completely anti climactic.

Totally agree, I thought it worked brilliantly, it was a superb cover of the song and referenced back to the earlier acoustic version of it when Jaime and Brienne had their hilarious argument about who was the better swordsman and the impact of it coming just after he's lost his hand was really well done imho.

Overall it was a 9/10 episode for me, my favourite scene was Gendry and Arry saying goodbye to HotPie. The pathos and depth to their parting was perfectly understated and all three did a great job in showing it without any grand gestures. Also loved the chair repositioning in the Small Council, hilarious and perfectly timed to add contrast to the rest of the episode.

My only criticism is, as has been mentioned repeatedly, the scene with Stannis and Melisandre. It didn't have anywhere near the sinister impact I was expecting when she starts to refer to the other people with "King's Blood" in them and the threat implicit in that story line to Shireen and, to a lesser extent, to Gendry as well for being a Baratheon bastard.

Here is a link to our review.

What I like is that it has moved on from Intros. And started to move the plot along. Such a MASSIVE event at the end and I am happy with the way to did it.

Still can't look at locke and not see the guy from Tomb Raider!!!!!!!!!

7/10. Solid again. The Jaime/Locke scene and the aftermath of the Battle of the Fist stood out. Arya and Hot Pie was nice. The Tully stuff was good, the funeral was just like I imagined it. Dany's starting to get her "Mother" on, and I'm giddy with anticipation for whats coming next. Theon's storyline is coming along slow and low, I am a bit concerned that more drastic changes are coming....The Tyrion/Bronn/Pod stuff was well played and funny but it just felt like it was wasted time again, just like the Tyrion/Shae scene last week. It's scene's like this that make the show seem boring. Stannis/Mel was a bit bizarre but made more sense than people are giving it credit for. And no it's not "character assassination." Least favorite part was the NW at Craster's. No desperation at all. They just seem like a few guys passing through on a nature hike or something, not half dead of exhaustion from battling and running for days from an army of friggen zombies which we never see this season even though they previewed them in the finale last season....still annoyed with that.

Gave this an 8, slightly better than the first 2 episodes of this season (gave both of those a 7).

I loved the Astapor / Dany scenes. Which is a bit surprising because in the show nor in the books was she never one of my favorites. The haggling for unsullied scene in particular was great.

The ending was very well done as well and the song didn't bother me a bit.

Overall this episode there just wasn't really anything for me to whine about, but I'm not going to give it a 9 or 10 because that's reserved for the truly great episodes. And I do hope the rest of this season will deliver those great episodes.

Third 8 at a row. To me this episode had the highest and lowest points so far this season. Some scenes were absolutely great, like the last one which did end in Jaime loosing his hand and i loved the dynamics of the small council scene.Some others like the Podric scene and its follow up felt like those had little purpose, while i do not mind the nudity at all. Bit of mixed feelings, but overall a solid episode.

... But Jaime losing his hand is a big event and deserves a more tense or melancholy ending theme...

...or nothing at all. Else I totally agree; you are taken out of the moment completely while still trying to digest the ramifications of what just happened. It actually detracts from the impact of the event.

Poor creative decision imo.

Wow... fantastic episode! From that absolutely wonderful opening scene to the brutal shocking finish, this is the type of episode that made me fall in love with the series. Drama, intrigue, great dialogue, and that oh-so-wonderful sex and violence.

I have the blessing of never having read any of the books (nor do I plan to until the series is finished), so nothing about these episodes is tainted for me. I don't have any of those "why did they?!" or "why wasn't...??" types of moments. So when an episode like this comes along, I can just enjoy it with pure unadulterated Game of Thrones bliss.

I honestly can't pick a favorite moment from the episode. Kudos all around... I gave it a 10.

I've yet to get through all of the whining commentary in this thread, but for all the complaining, I've not seen a single person point out that, with regards to Pod returning from the brothel, the whores didn't take Tyrion's money. Littlefinger's whores didn't take Tyrion's money. Littlefinger's whores didn't take Tyrion's money for the "gift" he was purchasing for his squire...

Reading too much into a scene meant to play for humor? Maybe, but it's a nice little conspiracy theory that there is more to it than Pod is just that good...

It was a great episode.

Regardless of the Stannis we know in the books, the show Stannis is falling flat, and that is disappointing in terms how we expect him to go because of the books...will the show Stannis take a different path? The Stannis scene was the one negative, even if it was beneficial to crucial information.

Wow... fantastic episode! From that absolutely wonderful opening scene to the brutal shocking finish, this is the type of episode that made me fall in love with the series. Drama, intrigue, great dialogue, and that oh-so-wonderful sex and violence.

I have the blessing of never having read any of the books (nor do I plan to until the series is finished), so nothing about these episodes is tainted for me. I don't have any of those "why did they?!" or "why wasn't...??" types of moments. So when an episode like this comes along, I can just enjoy it with pure unadulterated Game of Thrones bliss.

I honestly can't pick a favorite moment from the episode. Kudos all around... I gave it a 10.

I wish more us book readers had your attitude. I absolutely loved this episode. Definitely one of my favorites so far. I gave it a 9.

I've yet to get through all of the whining commentary in this thread, but for all the complaining, I've not seen a single person point out that, with regards to Pod returning from the brothel, the whores didn't take Tyrion's money. Littlefinger's whores didn't take Tyrion's money. Littlefinger's whores didn't take Tyrion's money for the "gift" he was purchasing for his squire...

Reading too much into a scene meant to play for humor? Maybe, but it's a nice little conspiracy theory that there is more to it than Pod is just that good...

It was a great episode.

Regardless of the Stannis we know in the books, the show Stannis is falling flat, and that is disappointing in terms how we expect him to go because of the books...will the show Stannis take a different path? The Stannis scene was the one negative, even if it was beneficial to crucial information.

Someone a few pages back came up with the idea that Tyrion had paid them in advanced to make Pod think he was that good when they didn't take his money--a nice gesture to boost Pod's confidence. This just sounds like something Tyrion would do too. It shows his cleverness and his kindness. So all you whiners complaining about how pointless the scene was need to think a little harder.

BTW Jaxon I was not calling you out. Kudos to you for actually thinking about it instead of whining.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Someone a few pages back came up with the idea that Tyrion had paid them in advanced to make Pod think he was that good when they didn't take his money--a nice gesture to boost Pod's confidence. This just sounds like something Tyrion would do too. It shows his cleverness and his kindness. So all you whiners complaining about how pointless the scene was need to think a little harder.

The reason I thought it to be that way is because Tyrion seems so perplexed at the notion, not considering that it could have some sort of hidden or political meaning (Not like him) that he was basically feigning ignorance to butter up his boy for whom he owes his life...A small price to pay for a man with unlimited wealth. He also invites him to sit with Bronn and share some talk with the boys. It just seems like a gift.

I wish they made it a tad more clear though because it could really be interpreted several ways.