How would you rate episode 303?

Ran

How would you rate episode 303?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Well I'm not sure how you can call yourself a purist if you think it's a waste of air time to portray one of the best, albeit most troubling storylines of the books. It just can't happen like it does in the books and still be powerful. Theon has absolutely nothing to do the next 2 seasons so there's plenty of air time.

:|

quoting wikipedia -

A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences.
.. so I kind of have absolutely no idea what you are talking about..

anyway.. back to the last episode, I completely forgot to mention how much I don't like the King Beyond the Wall.. He completely lacks the energy of Mance. Makes no mention of visiting Winterfell ( that I remember) and lacks charisma as a whole ..

I absolutely loved the opening scene though.. Peter Dinklage is the man !

I've yet to get through all of the whining commentary in this thread, but for all the complaining, I've not seen a single person point out that, with regards to Pod returning from the brothel, the whores didn't take Tyrion's money. Littlefinger's whores didn't take Tyrion's money. Littlefinger's whores didn't take Tyrion's money for the "gift" he was purchasing for his squire...

Nope. Take it from one who has watched past this episode. It was exactly as it was said.

(I find that part of the sequence so hatefully stupid that, yes, I'm going out of the way to spoil people's hopes that it all had some sort of clever plot purpose. It has none, it's just Podrick, World's Greatest Lover.)

Someone a few pages back came up with the idea that Tyrion had paid them in advanced to make Pod think he was that good when they didn't take his money--a nice gesture to boost Pod's confidence. This just sounds like something Tyrion would do too. It shows his cleverness and his kindness. So all you whiners complaining about how pointless the scene was need to think a little harder.

BTW Jaxon I was not calling you out. Kudos to you for actually thinking about it instead of whining.

Oh I love this theory!

Nope. Take it from one who has watched past this episode. It was exactly as it was said.

(I find that part of the sequence so hatefully stupid that, yes, I'm going out of the way to spoil people's hopes that it all had some sort of clever plot purpose. It has none, it's just Podrick, World's Greatest Lover.)

It's all good, Ran. I'm okay with it being just that. I couldn't not at least point out a possible reason for the scene though, in light of all of the negativity...

Sometimes a scene is simply meant to allow the actors to have some fun and explore a little bit about who they are, Now, if the scene is anything more than a briefly referenced memory in the future, or a running background gag in the future, then I reserve the right to re-evaluate my thoughts on its worth as a scene, :P

Well in that case it is pretty stupid.

I give it a 9 of 10.

I've yet to give an episode a 10 but this one came really close.

How much of a beast is Blackfish? He aim's at a target that's moving away from him at what looks like a good 200 yards (maybe more), but it's veering left AND the wind is blowing AND he knows he only has one shot left. Then to top things off he turns away and hands Edmure the bow before the target is struck. That's a man's man right there.

The Small Council scene was pure gold. Tyrion faking everyone out like he was going to take a seat and then moving it to the other head of the table as Tywin's equal AND his opposite was too good for words to do it justice.

Upon further review, I watched the Small Council scene again. When Baelish is talking about Lyssa Aryn being "positively predisposed toward me" check out the sign that Varys gives Tyrion. LOL!!!

Edited by Kenyatta

So it's also confirmed that it wasn't a case of Tyrion having already paid the whores before (the set up was obviously planned as the introduction was clearly staged) so he could fool Pod to think that he did really well and therefor help his very lacking confidence? That's in my opinion a far more likely conclusion to draw than that Pod was actually good (pretty much no one is the first time and whores always take money). It goes well in hand with how they act like they are surprised, which they would have to do in order to make the scam believable.

I wouldn't believe the "Podrick, Worlds Greatest Lover" for a second before the above theory is very clearly debunked. For that matter I wouldn't believe it was a plot by Littlefinger or such either before the above theory since that makes less sense as well.

Edited by Tywin's bastard

It's confirmed.

You don't think they might throw in some subterfuge where Tyrion had them refuse the money and reveal it in a later episode? If not, I don't even know what to say, maybe they were all drunk at a party when they decided to put that dumb 7 minute scene in then if there isn't any subtext at all. Gods be good.

No. No subterfuge or anything. I understand that after the further confirmation of the facts as laid out in ep 3 in this week's upcoming episode, they apparently no longer refer to this business. It was just a joke they really wanted to do.

(In fact, thinking about it... I wonder if the confirmation wasn't also intended in episode 3, so it'd just be a one-off joke rather than a running joke that would go through more than one episode.)

Here is a link to our review.

What I like is that it has moved on from Intros. And started to move the plot along. Such a MASSIVE event at the end and I am happy with the way to did it.

Still can't look at locke and not see the guy from Tomb Raider!!!!!!!!!

Oh And i forgot to say. The Scene with Tywin is just amazing. Such a powerplay!!!!!!

• There has been no mention of Robb's plan to lure the Mountain West at all prior to this episode.
  • Also Robb talking about "our country" in the West - what is he referring to?
  • Robb's concern over losing men, but nobody mentions the 4000 soldiers he lost when he married Talisa.
  • Jorah questioning Daenerys in front of Kraznys. Dany's arc last season (whilst badly written) at least led to Jorah realising that he can trust Daenerys because she knows what she's doing.
  • Littlefinger thanking Tyrion for freeing Ros even though Tyrion was the reason Ros was arrested in the first place, and even though Tyrion was incapable of doing anything after the Battle of the Blackwater.
  • Ramsay killing four of his own men.
  • Mance sending a group of 20 to attack Castle Black.
  • Two Lannister children being able to recognise Talisa as Robb's wife, despite no one in King's Landing even being aware of Robb's marriage yet. Or worse: if everyone in King's Landing is aware of Robb breaking his oath to the Freys, why is no one discussing it?
  • Daenerys not freeing Missandei. It's inconsistent with her book characterisation and also the characterisation on the show (she freed her khalasar as soon as she could, and she's always had a strong anti-slavery stance).
  • The lack of funds to pay for Unsullied. Dany could buy around 227 Unsullied if she sold the ship (that isn't hers to sell), her goods, and her Dothraki. So why did Jorah suggest buying Unsullied if Daenerys couldn't afford them?
  • Melisandre getting on a boat and sailing away from Dragonstone without knowing where she has to go.
  • The prostitutes not accepting Tyrion's money (the most likely solution is that Littlefinger arranged a free session to repay Tyrion... but again, this makes little sense; it's not in-line with the show's characterisation of Littlefinger, and it's not in-line with the show's characterisation of Tyrion, who doesn't have any interest in saving money).
  • Brienne being able to fight off her (attempted) rapists for the amount of time it took for Jaime to explain her value to Locke, and her rapists handing her back without a problem.

I'm not sure I see the point of picking plot holes before the whole season has ended, as what it would appear as a plot hole might in fact make sense in context or be explained later on. Some of the things you mentioned could also be explained even now; for instance in the Brienne thing, Locke made a point of him "going first" and the other men would have her after him, so they weren't trying to rape her yet at that point, just beat her up. Or Ramsay killing his men, the guy is deranged, why is that surprising? Dany will probably free Missandei later on.

Just give it time, also because you said you gave it an 8, so it can't be that bad ;)

It is sped up on purpose. I think that D&D has done this smartly. Dany gets to be a BAMF this season, ending the Unsullied industry in Asatapor by episode 4 and possibly taking the other cities in Slaver's Bay by the end of this episode. Since she is extremely popular among TV viewers, it will be the only positive thing that keeps the viewers watching after the RW.

Good point. This season's continued cruelty toward the Starks may alienate many Unsullied viewers, with Sansa's forced political marriage into the despised enemy Lannister family followed by the devastating RW. And Theon's arc is horrifically dark. I think the show runners are smart to inject humor throughout (Pod/Tyrion/Bronn "We're going to need details. Copious details." lol), and give us plenty of dragons. Keep 'em coming back for more.

I give it a 3.

This season is beyond terrible for me, so far. The Theon arc story is missing every mark; They are making Stannis into an idiot; losing screen time for whores in kings landing? Yeah i know, titties are required in every GoT episode, but come on.

Average: Jaime and Brianne scenes (1 point)

Above average: Riverrun scenes (1 point)

Slightly Good: Dany's scenes in Astapor.(1 point)

Thats it.

Edited by Eric Baratheon

I give it a 3.

This season is beyond terrible for me, so far. The Theon ark story is missing every mark; They are making Stannis into an idiot; losing screen time for whores in kings landing? Yeah i know, titties are required in every GoT episode, but come on.

Average: Jaime and Brianne scenes (1 point)

Above average: Riverrun scenes (1 point)

Slightly Good: Dany's scenes in Astapor.(1 point)

Thats it.

I don't really recall Theon building an ark but maybe I need to rewatch.