How would you rate episode 303?

Ran

How would you rate episode 303?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Sorry, but I can't help but laugh at people who are complaining because the torrented version had a messed up sound track. So you stole something, and you're pissed about the quality of the thing you stole? Bummer.

I torrented the episode after having watched it on TV, so please, tell me, what did I steal? I'm sure there are others who did the same as I did. But let us not turn this tread into a piracy thread.

I didn't quite get the whole Stannis scene the first time I watched it but the second time I don't hate it as much, he seems more interested in the destruction of his enemies than the sex.

Aye, when he got all cozy with Mel and said he wanted her it looked like he was lying just to convice her to make some shadowbabies. You can see he drops the act when Mel rejects it. But the scene was still pretty weird anyway.

Edited by Nezzer

I gave it a 9/10. The highest for anything this season. Ep1 8 (on edge of 9) Ep 2 - 6.

Pros:

• Jaime and Brienne. Well done.
  • Musical chairs
  • The Pod scenes - I think it will be important that he didn't pay. Now he owes a favor, maybe?
  • Blackfish Catyln
  • Dany scenes. Her scenes seem real strong compared to season 2.

Neutral

• Ayra, Robb, funeral

Cons

• Stannis scene. I would put this as the weak part of the show. Not sure I dislike it, but I don't like how emotionally destroyed and dependent he is in the show. Maybe without Melissandre, he will have to re-kindle (no pun intended) his relationship with Davos which makes him stronger Stannis. Don't know. Maybe they can pull it out.

I honestly don't know how I feel about the Jaime hand scene versus the ending credits. I'm all over the place on it. It's unsettling and maybe that's why they used it here.

Was it me or did the Jamie cut to credits cue the Bear have a distinct True blood feel about it? Casually brutal, funny, hysterical song. You know the directors know the nailed an episode when they pull something like that.

Was reading the Huffington post and so many fans don't get the end credits, they are like what is that music? Who wrote this? Outside of beingfrom the books, it's Bree and Jamie, hello the Bear and the maiden, gosh what does that have to do with Bree and Jamie, and what a perfect little bit of foreshadowing for Harrenhall.

I really wish there was a legal way to purchase only the show, not too long after it airs. I don't have any cable or satellite TV subscription (I barely watch any shows, I watch this one because of the books, and I use Netflix sometimes). I have the first 2 seasons on DVD, but they come a year later.

But yeah, I understand your point and so I'm not complaining about the soundtrack mess-up :)

Note, I'm not knocking people for torrenting. I think it's fine that people torrent the show, provided they can't afford it, or don't have access to it otherwise. It's just the complaining about something so trivial that seems tacky.

I torrented the episode after having watched it on TV, so please, tell me, what did I steal? I'm sure there are others who did the same as I did. But let us not turn this tread into a piracy thread.

Then what the hell is your point? Btw, just because you watched the show on TV before you torrented it, does not make it any less torrented. So, in fact, you actually did steal the episode, genius.

Edited by J. Stargaryen

Sorry, but I can't help but laugh at people who are complaining because the torrented version had a messed up sound track. So you stole something, and you're pissed about the quality of the thing you stole? Bummer.

i was not complaining on torrent version dude. i thought the music was some popup and tried looking from where that extra page came up . so i minimsed the streaming video. most of the time when we open internet browser the ad appears.

Solid 8

(+)

- I'm loving how Emilia Clarke acting has improved since s2. Her jungling men around was quite fun.

- Amazing Jaime/Brienne sequence. Whole cutting the hand - the action, the reactions, montage - everyting was handled by the director and actors just perfectly I would say

- not a lot of Arya (sadly) but It was delightfull to see how M. Williams has grown, that look in her eyes when they're leaving the Hot Pie..

-Tobias Menzies as Edmure is just perfect. As unfortunate and clumsy as he should be,

- Loved C. Russel as the Blackfish. His confidence actually projects some hope for the North cause, even if when we know how it ends up

(-)

- Chair scene. What was that?

- Pod scene. In course of the years i came to some terms with instant side nudity shows inside GoT episodes treating them as a necessary evil, but this one is just too big and boring. More then 5 minutes of completely meaningless stuff, which is not even sexy! just boring.

Not sure about Theon stuff. It definitely has something in it, his hope and despair, but either the pace of the story progresses too slowly or it lacks something to make perfect sense, as it did in books.

i was not complaining on torrent version dude. i thought the music was some popup and tried looking from where that extra page came up . so i minimsed the streaming video. most of the time when we open internet browser the ad appears.

Okay, then my post does not apply to you. Sorry about that. Apparently a lot of people who torrented the ep are complaining because the song came on before the end credits. My post still applies to all of those people.

Oh my god. I can't stop laughing at the hand and sudden jump cut to credits with that music playing. So casually brutal and gruesome, it's perfect. Jaime, you poor bastard. No good deed and all that.

i was streaming tv show on my pc and the music started. i thought the music was some ad or popup and tried looking from where that extra page appeared. but it ws not popup. it was real music from the show. wtffff.

I totally get what they were going for with the song thing and that kind of tonal dissonance works really well for me sometimes, but the problem here is just that I don't think it's a very good version of The Bear and the Maiden Fair. The Rains of Castamere was a great rendition where as this just felt jumbled, awkward and more obviously "putting-the-book-lyrics-to-music" than a song in its own right compared to TRoC.

i was streaming tv show on my pc and the music started. i thought the music was some ad or popup and tried looking from where that extra page appeared. but it ws not popup. it was real music from the show. wtffff.

It's a song from the books, and Hoat and his men are sining it while they march along the road. It's also a sublime bit of foreshadowing for non readers. I see a lot of people don't get it, don't worry you will, as it is one of Jamie's greatest moments and is connected to Jamie and Bree. By the time this seasons ends you will look back at episode 3 credits and get it. Just remember those credits.

How does the Bear and the maiden fair tie to Jamie and Bree? Ha, for shame non reader, for shame. In terms of TV that's about as good as it gets for foreshadowing.

I gave it a 9. Great episode, far, far better than last week. I was surprised that Benioff did such a good job directing. I expect more episodes to be done by him in the future.

Pros:

-Daenerys' scene with Kraznys. Once again, the translation bit was hilarious. "Only because I like the curve of her ass" "Because Kraznys is generous"

-Theon's scenes. Although I was expecting the near rape to be far more aggressive and brutal to watch, I feel this is a good way to make Theon feel emasculated without gelding him. And Ramsay being his saviour works in the long run, as it works into the whole Stockholm Syndrome Reek has.

-Speaking of which, RAMSAY!!! Man, Iwan Rheon is going to own this role. I was a bit skeptical last week, but the look on his face as he strolled over to the last dying man convinced me that he's right for the part.

-Good to see they're making more progress on the whole Ros storyline. LF is yet to repay Tyrion, and I have a feeling that the way he does it involves Ros

-Nice foreshadowing with the Iron Bank. Better to mention it now than the future.

-Locke cutting off Jaime's hand. It looked gory, and Locke is a pretty good substitute for Vargo. And I felt his reasons for cutting off Jaime's hand weren't very irrational. He just got tired of Jaime's shit. But I'm worried it came off as a bit humorous. Especially since such an upbeat song was played right after.

-Roose mentioned BY NAME.

-Cat and Brynden. God, Michelle Fairley is just tearing me apart. If she keeps up this high level of acting, the RW will be absolutely unbearable to watch. I would be surprised and very disappointed if she doesn't get an Emmy nom this year.

-Cersei dragging her seat over to sit next to Tywin.

-LF haters, "Lord Twatbeard" is your new de facto insult. I find it far better than "Lord Pissant", honestly.

-Backstory on Rheagar and Robert's Rebellion.

-Anyone else really liked Arya saying goodbye to Hot Pie? That was the highlight for me. It wasn't nowhere near as emotional in the books, and I thought it was a really, really nice moment. I am going to miss Hot Pie and his ballkicking ways :crying: Arya, why didn't you give him a hug?

Cons:

-What the hell are they doing with Stannis? I'm fine that they're making him a darker character than he is in the books, but he is NOT a lecher. He's a stick in the mud, and let's keep it that way. We are supposed to eventually root for him, and if they keep this up, it will be hard to do so.

-Are we still getting the Barristan/Dany/Jorah confrontation. They really should have addressed it last week.

-Pod's scene was excessive and cheesy, but hey, at least it showed Tyrion being a whoremonger once again.

-Is it just me or was Brynden being a bit of a dick to Edmure?

Overall, a really good episode. Oh, and for any Unsullied viewers that are thinking to themselves, "DAENERYS YOU ABSOLUTE IDIOT!", I can't wait to see your faces next week.

Edited by Pinkie Baelish

I gave it an 8. This episodes biggest strength was its humour. I absolutely loved the wordless banter with the chairs at the small council, Tyrion dragging his chair across the floor was priceless. Also quite enjoyed Talisa assuring the Lannister boys that Robb only ate children on the full moon. I know plenty of people didn't like the Pod stuff, but I thought it was great.

Also really enjoyed Dany, and the fact that her thread is, to the most part, keeping the book dialogue. As far as I'm concerned, the best scenes of the season so far have been the ones that stuck to the book dialogue (Tyrion/Tywin, Margery/Sansa/Olenna, Dany in Astapor).

I liked that they put in Tyrion explaining how the Bank of Braavos works, always good to get that stuff in.

I thought Theon's arc picked up the pace, and I'm happy with where they're taking it.

Someone said that Jaime's scene was ruined by last episode; as Brienne beating him has played down how important losing his hand is and I agree. The scene was great though, particularly in the way they lulled you into a false sense of security.

I have two major problems with this episode. The first is character assassination. They've really messed Stannis up. But the real disappointment was Littlefinger... he was never that much of a kiss-ass in the books, and he certainly wouldn't have been one to try to make it first to sit at Tywin's right hand. They've completely missed the point with him I'm afraid.

The second is the Bear and the Fucking Maiden Fair. They got it in earlier in the episode and it was really enjoyable, so why would they ruin the final scene by playing that stupid punk rock rendition? Really inappropriate and hugely unnecessary.

Last little grumble: Mance Rayder is impressing me less and less each episode.

I gave it a 7. Not nearly as enjoyable as the second episode, but better than the first.

Enjoyed the musical chair moment, Cersei taking space near her father, and clarifying to the room at large she's still the boss(besides her dad...) Absolutely loved every minute of Riverrun. Blackfish is amazing and I can't wait to see more of his character brought to the screen. Robb's moment was very well acted and strongly portrayed. I have been lukewarm to his character but he was great in his little scene. Even Talisa who I usually can't stand was good, felt more natural for once. I'm really loving poor Theon's story. Something I can't predict! Love the actor too. He's perfect in almost every scene, in my pov. Happy to hear the bear and the maiden fair song finally! Really DID NOT like it's modern punk rock version at the end. They did a great job with the rains of castamere, why couldn't they have also created a more appropriate sounding version of the bear one too? Jamie and Brienne were great. Jamie losing his hand, while i prefer the book situation more, was a horrific and very very sad thing to watch. That actor is brilliant. Dany feels better this season so far. I don't know exactly if it's different makeup or wardrobe department, or if her acting's gotten better, but at least i can tolerate her scenes more. Her new slave handmaiden I do not care for at all. The actress seems wooden and very boring to me.

Arya's time felt far too rushed. The hound bumping his head was an odd, almost comical moment for such a depressing intense character. And her brief exchange with him about remembering the place was bizarre. I suspect that most viewers have forgotten who the butcher boy was..hell even i forgot his name.

Hot Pie had hardly any screen time, so his leaving really left no impression to me. Arya's reaction helped to explain that they had a stronger bond than what was shown, but it would have been nice to see more development there before they separated.

The scene with Stannis also felt out of place and could have done without. I love the character-more in the tv show than the books actually, but his physical, demanding nature towards Mel seemed really out of character. What was that a hug?

Only complaint besides some of the more rushed scenes, was the absolutely pointless and ridiculous brothel scene with Pod, then afterwards Tyrion and Bronn dragging chairs over to hear all about it? What the hell am i watching here? teenage boys gossiping about a good lay? :rolleyes: This story has so many amazing plots and characters that haven't had their fair share of screen time, i hate to imagine what we could have been given instead of the elongated pod orgy-gossip scene.

So I'm watching it on Couchtuner, and just as the last scene with Locke talking to Jaime before cutting off his hand comes on, some silly rock version of the Bear and Maiden fair song starts playing.

Anti climax... You're doing it right.

And the sexual tension between Tyrion and Cersei just seems too much. We need another incest scene. lol

Edited by Toxspecific

I gave it an 8. Pretty much loved it. Don't really like what they've done with Tormund, or Mance really -- he's kinda dull. Also, wtf is up the Others and the corpse circles? I suppose it'll scare some farmers when they finally invade westeros.

Highlights:

Hot Pie and the direwolf treat.

"You little bastard!" -- see what happens when someone calls him that?

Rhaegar was mentioned! I almost thought they forgot about him.

The Meereenese knot - har!

The beginning of Ser Jaime the Just. Though, as others have mentioned, I don't like how they played down his abilities. Makes losing his hand have a bit less of an impact. I don't think D&D think too highly of him.