How would you rate episode 303?

Ran

How would you rate episode 303?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

10/10! Can't really think about anything bad on this episode. Riverrun was awesome, changing my funeral plans to a Tully one and thinking about having my two nieces call me Blackfish from now on. Gotta love seeing Jorah and Barristan compete for #1 Queensguard. Little light on whats happening in the North but we all know it will get its episodes. Theons storyline is coming along nicely. (Notice I didnt say Poor Theon like a lot of people do, because he deserves everything he gets.) Love seeing Jaime's attitude towards Brienne start to come out, guess he does have a heart after all. Such a powerful moment when he lost his swordhand.

Also, who knew Podrick was such a pimp? Anyone who hated those scenes with him, Tyrion and Bronn I have one thing to say...

Dont hate the playa, hate the Game (of Thrones)

It shatters his world to the point that he comes out of a medieval setting and is shot into a modern one, including a punk rock song? Ugh. This was HBO trying too hard to be hip and failing. The music for the show is fantastic and fits the setting, story and mood perfectly. Throwing in a punk rock song was just silly.

I didn't like the song choice but I doubt they did it to be hip and cool. I mean if they were trying to make the song hip why would they use a punk rendition?

Jaime's hand - knew it was coming, but still was holding my breath. Agree that The Bear and the Maiden Fair was jarring for that. Like the song, sweet to have that version, but didn't seem right for the moment.

Think the show is picking up steam, though the bouncing around does bother me a little. Wish I could put the story lines together.

Liked the musical chairs scene and Pod's scene too. Chuckled at both.

Since they have several times used music more modern than medieval...having a "punk" song that was way more folky than punk anyway is a complete non issue...we should have nitpicked probably 15 of the 23 credit song choices.

Great choice. Having some ambient lute after something as epic as that ending would have been completely anti climactic.

I like the way they're doing the whole cat and mouse with Theon. We know Ramsey likes to do this with the woman. The bait and switch with , I'm your friend , but I'm really orchestrating all this, is a cool way to integrate material that's not in the books.

Another pretty solid episode -- I liked it as much as the first and better than the second, I gave it an 8, as I'm a fairly hard grader.

What worked for me:

• Clive Russell is looking to be an awesome Blackfish if tonight's episode is any indication. Stellar casting job once again. His scene with Michelle Fairley was perfection.
  • Michelle Fairley gets some well-deserved props for the above scene -- I haven't enjoyed a Cat scene so much since season one.
  • Jaimie and Brienne's scenes were great once again, and dear God, the ending!!
  • The meeting of the small council and the musical chairs game; some of the best actors in the series all facing off at the same time is always great viewing
  • I enjoyed the Tyrion, Pod, and Bronn scenes for the comic relief they provided; this is a somber, somber season, so I appreciate the chuckles even if they don't move the story forward in any significant way
  • I was surprised that the Hot Pie and Arya/Gendry farewell was actually fairly touching to me; I don't recall being particularly phased when he left in the book.

What didn't work for me:

• Stannis and Mel; Whah??? Since when is Stannis some lovelorn horndog just begging Mel for some? Really not liking the direction the show is taking Stannis in.
  • Edmure -- in the books Edmure is a decent, kind hearted chap who's a bit on the hapless side at times. In the show, Edmure looks like a spoiled, haughty, buffoon. And since when is the Blackfish so totally down on Edmure to the point where he would shove him and diss him publicly? And what was with Robb snickering at Edmure for missing his bow shot? They are at a funeral for goodness sakes -- show a little decency and decorum!
  • The whole "bastard" and Theon character arc -- I'm just not buying it. Maybe it will improve with further developments, but for now, I'm thinking this just strains credibility a bit too much to successfully go where it's supposed to be headed in the books. Maybe it is going in a totally different direction all together, which would be a huge mistake in my opinion.
  • It also still rankles me that Bran and Rickon are supposedly just "missing," since their "deaths" provided such true and obvious motivations for so many things which happen in the story, while their being missing does not have the same emotional resonance.
  • Not really digging the punk version of the Bear and the Maiden Fair. Talk about pulling the viewer out of the ambiance of the show.

Am I the only one disappointed with that rendition of the bear and the maiden fair? There are many fan-made versions in youtube waaaay better than that.

Anyways, I give this episode a 9, even the whores are better this season lol

ETA: after reading this thread most of us didn't like how the music was used in the credits, my bad for post before reading :P

Edited by franko99

Stannis and Mel; Whah??? Since when is Stannis some lovelorn horndog just begging Mel for some? Really not liking the direction the show is taking Stannis in.

ALOL.

You did NOT get the point of that scene did you?

Stannis wants Mel to produce another shadowbaby to take out enemies. he doesn't just want to 'get some'

Well I am one of the more critical viewers, I gave episode 1 a 4 or 5 and episode 2 a 5-6, did not really enjoy either. Episode 3 I give an 8.8. The Brotherhood was great, Riverrun and Blackfish, they nailed it. Tyrion, and Cersie playing musical chairs had me rolling, did not see that coming. Pod, I get the Pod change and he got some props, makes sense but the whole it was free thing, was outstanding. Dany is building up to a great moment, and it keeps in line with her attitude in the books during that period. Had me wondering n the books and even though I know, I was still like whats with the attitude? Jamies scenes were more subtle that I thought and I actually thought they would change things and make him lose an eye. Really well done. I had one problem, Stannis, that was it and I just thought they butchered him. But to much good to bring the grade down much. Also I loved the extended scenes, giving the characters more time, it felt far less choppy. The transition from Dragonstone to Astapore was near perfect, simple but perfect.

Special shout out to Hot Pie, they three kids have not gotten much time but in that moment they translated so much emotion. Thats tough to do considering a lack of development for that story. The hound was only in it for a second, but it was perfect second for him, "watch your head."

No Shea = huge bonus.

There was emotion, there was plot, there was great acting and they managed to squeez in some funny moments without dumbing down the show. I am waiting for it to come on again so I can watch it again Just to see the look on Cersie's face when she moves the chair. Priceless, that my might be the best funny moment the show has ever had. Although I was expecting Sansa/Tyrion and thought that was the perfect lead in and just was left waiting for it. The looks that Varys was throwing back and forth, OMG, where did they come up with that, so Childish and yet so right. You can tell Tyrion thought it was Childish but had to do it anyone because Cersie did it and he had to one up her. I telling you, it was genius. The looks of the people at the table, can't stop laughing about it. Just look at there faces while all this is going on.

Renewed faith in the series after watching this.

ALOL.

You did NOT get the point of that scene did you?

Stannis wants Mel to produce another shadowbaby to take out enemies. he doesn't just want to 'get some'

Well, I was being a bit facetious with the horndog reference, but judging by the body language, I believe that ol' Stannis was not simply looking for an expedient way to produce his desired end result.

I give it a 9/10. Quite arguably the greatest non-event (Ned's head/Blackwater) episode in the three-season series. The ending was incredible. I knew what was going to happen but it was still amazing.

Also, the song in the credits was hilariously great.

Edited by briantw

I totally enjoyed this episode and I LOL'd a lot. Scenes I love:

-The small council.

-Arya saying bye-bye to Hot Pie. I was kinda sad. :( But the "watch your head" one made me smile.

-Hoster's funeral, and the Blackfish and Cat's scene.

-Astapor

-Jaime's hand getting hacked off

-Theon's hunting scene, my favorite.

I watched it twice. The best by far. :)

I personally could care less about the closing song. No biggie, the show is what matters.

The music is part of the show, if they're going to start throwing in modern songs here and there it will totally change the feel of the series. So, I see a huge red flag that says the producers are losing their way in this season that they say the so wanted to get to, weird.

The music is part of the show, if they're going to start throwing in modern songs here and there it will totally change the feel of the series. So, I see a huge red flag that says the producers are losing their way in this season that they say the so wanted to get to, weird.

Bit of an overreaction to a credits song that, at best, is deliberate soundtrack dissonance done for dramatic effect, and at worst, is just an anachronistic reference gag.

I actually thought the music was fitting given that the forced amputation completely shatters Jaime's world. Additionally, many viewers, like many readers before them, will have viewed Jaime's declawing as calling for something more celebratory than melancholy. And really, if ASOIAF has made it to HBO, it's already mainstream depending on how much of a hipster the beholder is.

I really agree with this quote. I think book bookreaders forget Jaimie is still one of the bad guys at this point. He doesn't deserve sad music.