[Book Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

"I should have been there." Well, take heart Cat, you were there in the books.

I laughed out loud when I read this ;)

For the first time, I really liked Talisa in this episode! I hate the change from Jeyne to Talisa, but Oona Chaplin was quite fun to watch.

So many great lines this episode!

Hot Pie to Arya and Gendry- Don't get stabbed.

Gendry- Don't... burn your fingers.

Tyrion- This is more than I pay you in a year.

Bronn- He's a squire, you don't pay him.

Tyrion- Then it's definitely more than I pay you in a year! (Nice callback to Tyrion not knowing how much he's paying Bronn)

Dany- Yes, all men must die. But we are not men.

Hot Pie- I'm no Stark of Winterhell.

Arya- Winterfell.

Hot Pie- Are you sure?

Arya- I'm sure.

And so many more...

I loved Theon in this episode. I'm kind of confused about what they are doing with him though, plotwise. Anyone care to enlighten me?

As confused as you are. I Guess the want us/theon is safe and then boom Ramsay reveels himself. I wonder how much Reek they are going to go with Theon...

Burn Gorman apparently showed up in this episode since his name was in the credits (I didn't notice him at all, I'll have to rewatch). It seems odd to me that he's playing a glorified extra in the night's watch when he's a well established actor. Anyone have any ideas who his character might possibly be if he has one?

He was the member of the Night's Watch that was looking around at the girls in Craster's Keep. I was not expecting to see him at all in this and it shocked me. I really can't believe he'd just be a Night's Watch extra either, but I also can't see how they'd just start featuring him to be important.

Awesome episode, enjoyed the first 2 a lot but this just blew me away!!

Small council non-musical chairs was hilarious.

Final scene worked fantastically combined with the song straight after, loved how we - and Jaime - just have enough time to register what has happened before the song kicks in. Masterfully done imo. :cheers:

I like what they're doing with Theon and Ramsey. It's a nod to what we Know from the books but don't actually get from ASOS. The whole cat and mouse, capture, release, capture. We know he does this hunting measure with woman. The "I am your friend, meanwhile I'm the one actually doing this to you." A nod to how he was initially introduced as Reek, gaining trust and then bam. Also a parallel to how he used to play with Reek as children, while turning Theon into Reek in his own sadistic way. It's a great way to show them both this season when they weren't in ASOS. It's like the untold story we didn't get in the book.

"Give me another baby" was AWESOME.

Really drives home how ducking desperate this guy who considers himself to be The Lord of light is.

Just give me another one of those disgusting shadow fetuses, I have some false kings that need murdering.

And then, the idea that he only needs people of his own bloodline to feed the shadow creatures PUTS HIM AT EASE!

I likey.

I thought it was also a bit of a nod to the book readers (and perhaps this forum?) that Hotipie's farewell was given WAY too much focus and emotional resonance.

Honestly I thought D&D were trolling with that scene, it fel almost like a parody of ever cringeworthy farewell scene ever mad, The extralong shot of Hotpie as they were leaving with Arya saying something encouraging. I really think that scene was suppose to be kind of a joke.

You realize that most people that aren't book readers are probably cheering like crazy right now thinking Jaime got what he deserved. As did the majority of book readers before we got to see new Jaime. So cutting to that song is quite appropriate for the circumstances at hand. People who are Team Stark have been waiting for something to cheer about, Jaime losing his hand is one of the few cheers they are going to get for a while.

:agree:

Why the HELL do so many of you idiots think that Stannis just wanted to fuck Mel for the hell of it? it was clearly obvious that he wanted to produce another Shadowbaby to take out another enemy. Hence her telling him that he grew weak, and there was another way.

He flat out says that he wants Robb and Joffrey dead.

Some of you need to please pay more attention before coming with this THEY RUINED THE CHARACTERZZZZ stuff

I guess I am an idiot then, because I don't like Stannis' portrayal in the show. He is probably the character whose show characterization I dislike the most. Also, he seemed rather lustful for just wanting to make a shadwobaby. Mel completely gave him the cold shoulder when he tried to cuddle her.

Otherwise I thought this episode was pretty great.

Maybe Ghost separated from Jon so they had a better explanation of how he makes it to the other side of the wall when Jon goes over the top.

I have a feeling they are going to leave the Greyjoys out the show... Stannis only said I want Joffrey and Robb dead. So I dont think we are going to see Balon Greyjoys fly off the bridge... I was eager to see that scene... No dead Balon no kingsmoot... No euron no Victarion !? Or maybe they are keeping this for later, when some of the old characters will be dead...

I thought this was a very good episode, but thinking back... not much happened in the first 50 minutes, did it?? It's interesting how they kept the entire tone of the episode really lighthearted, a lot of funny scenes. I liked a lot the one with the chairs, everything with Pod... even the Fist of the First Men, which in the books was extremely tensed stuff here was not more than a simple discussion. And then the gut punching ending :). Oh, and Ramsay is a badass here... most book readers think he is a wimp.

The Hot Pie scene really made me sad :( ... are we ever going to see him again?? Oh, and the Stannins stuff doesn't worry me YET. Yes, he's doing things out of character, D&D don't like him, but that doesn't mean they will destroy him completely. They need to make him look bad now, because he has such huge things in the future. We don't really know that much about what Stannis did or thought at this time in the books, because Davos doesn't. So, let's give the show some leniency, until he receives the letter from Castle Black. Maybe this tumblr will change your mind, like it did with me :)

http://lonelysheepofberk.tumblr.com/post/46938901556

Edited by Bayard

I am, sad to say, so disappointed in the casting for Mance. I hated it when I heard about it and not because I haven't liked Hinds in the past. It just sounded so wrong. But then I thought I'd reserve judgment as I ought to trust the show w/ how strong the casting has been overall. But after a few episodes, it feels almost worse than I could have ever imagined.

WTF w/ Theon and the bastard? I'm also assuming that has to be Ramsay, but I was expecting him in the hunt w/ those other people as I assume most were. That was a very surprising twist, and I have no idea what to think.

I'm still not crazy about Mance either. I really, really want to like Hinds but he's just kinda flat. He hasn't been given too much to work with yet, though.

It's not really too much of a twist, Ramsay plays the long troll. It makes sense that he'd even sacrifice his men for the sake of a better "hunt." :dunce:

Honestly I thought D&D were trolling with that scene, it fel almost like a parody of ever cringeworthy farewell scene ever mad, The extralong shot of Hotpie as they were leaving with Arya saying something encouraging. I really think that scene was suppose to be kind of a joke.

I guess they need to make sure the viewers remember who he is, so when he winds up being TPTWP/AA reborn, it doesn't seem like it is coming out of left field, or anything.

I thought this was a very good episode, but thinking back... not much happened in the first 50 minutes, did it?? It's interesting how they kept the entire tone of the episode really lighthearted, a lot of funny scenes. I liked a lot the one with the chairs, everything with Pod... even the Fist of the First Men, which in the books was extremely tensed stuff here was not more than a simple discussion. And then the gut punching ending :).

The Hot Pie scene really made me sad :( ... are we ever going to see him again?? Oh, and the Stannins stuff doesn't worry me YET. Yes, he's doing things out of character, D&D don't like him, but that doesn't mean they will destroy him completely. They need to make him look bad now, because he has such huge things in the future. We don't really know that much about what Stannis did or thought at this time in the books, because Davos doesn't. So, let's give the show some leniency, until he receives the letter from Castle Black.

I definitely agree on the first part.

On the second part, I'm not loving the current departures from the book on Stannis' characterization, but I'm not a die-hard fan of Stannis.

I just find it odd that last week, everyone was flipping out about "Catelyn Stark Jon Snow character assassination ZOMG", but this week's departure on Stannis seemed more severe and less grounded in the books than that, and everyone is saying, "let it play out." Very interesting comparisons.

Anyway, Tyrion was comic genius tonight. I didn't love this episode outside of Jaime (brilliant acting), but I am so excited for next week's NW debacle and one of Daenerys' most important moments in the series, DRACARYS!

The Merenese knot comment had my laughing more than anything this series has ever done. Great scene with Pod, Tyrion, and Bronn. I know there are some that don't like the sex in the series, but I thought that it was well done tonight.

Ya that one was actually very well done. I didn't care for the scene in the whorehouse itself just the scene after it haha

I'm still not crazy about Mance either. I really, really want to like Hinds but he's just kinda flat. He hasn't been given too much to work with yet, though.

It's not really too much of a twist, Ramsay plays the long troll. It makes sense that he'd even sacrifice his men for the sake of a better "hunt." :dunce:

Totally agreed on Mance, but hopefully they'll give him a bit more. My main problem with Hinds is that he's too stately/rugged, and my mental Mance needs to be more wily with the steel undercurrent. But we've got more wildling time to go.

After last week’s disastrous episode I was very pleased with the recovery this week in what was probably one of the better episodes in the series so far.

What I liked:

The Queen of Westeros and Her (Really) Small Counsel: What makes Dany work is that she surrounds herself with good people and then she listens to them. What others call arrogance, Dany possesses incredible insight into people and incredible understanding of why people do what they do (loyalty, greed, fear) and she operates with that in mind. Tied to that is that the whole while she is listening to two opposing view-points via Selmy and Jorah. The fact that she took in all that info from two competing spheres is a testament to how she takes in info and how she uses it against those who she operates against.

On top of that I thought the show did a great job showing how the slavers operate, how they think, and how a slave-society functions- even how slaves would rather be dead than slaves. In just two, three scenes they made the whole world work. They even threw in a Godfather reference.

Brynden Tully: Total Win.

Tyrion "Blames" Pod; Tywin Doesn’t Have To Blame Anyone: Tyrion’s gratefulness towards Pod was not just limited to saving his life, but in being a genuinely good person. So, finally, a character is rewarded for a being a good person. I thought the way it was ended was great and very funny. Great scene.

But more over - the show is at its absolute best when it pays attention to the “behind the scenes” people and how they interface – Tyrion and LF; Tywin and the Small Counsel; etc. Its that deft-hand in showing how this all works that keeps me coming back.

Reek and Ramsey : My money is that the guy who freed Theon is Ramsey Bolton.

Pie in the Sky: Just like the book, I loved how the show finished things with Hot Pie; how the show maintained the decency of a character that said- not in so many words – “I’m done; I am dropping out of this rat race.” And I loved how Arya ended up liking HP and appreciating everything about his short good-bye.

The Maiden and the One-Handed Lion: From start to finish, I thought Jaime and Brienne’s interplay was great; the dialog is tremendous. I thought the very real threat of rape was so well done (and later revisited in the Theon scene). I loved how Jaime wrestles with being decent while also trying to gain advantage- for himself and for his family.

I also loved that – unlike the books – the show makes the North just as mean, horrible and cruel as the West. The wolves lie with demons just like the lions.

And taking Jaime’s hand off like that was incredible. Just as good as the book. Can’t think of abetter compliment.

What I am Not Certain Of:

Not Holding Onto ‘Hold Riverrun’: One of the biggest controversies on these boards is deftly avoided by simply shrinking the impact of “Hold Riverrun” and “Killing the Mountain” (though it again seems more likely than not that Martin’s explanation makes less and less sense under scrutiny, so the show changed it).

But… I am not sure I liked much else, most certainly I did not enjoy Edmure- loved the actor, loved how he spoke to Robb and interfaced with Blackfish, but… why have a character be so incompetent so quickly so much of the time? Now, I a get that that is Edmure in the book so it makes some sense here, but in the book- AT LEAST Cat mentioned how Edmure had a good heart and at least he defeated Tywin! This guy here at RR is a train wreck… and we have only seen him for two scenes.

The Devolution of Stannis: Stannis Baratheon was the guy who stormed the walls of KL; he kills people , he leads men… and … “Whaaa!!!! Why Can’t I have another kid! Why Can’t I BE KING! Please fuck me!!” Now, I get it: he is rudderless and much like the book, Stannis is weakening. But book-Stannis was not a weakling who always wanted the easy way out! In fact, he sometimes made things as hard as they could be! Don’t turn him suddenly into such an untethered, forgettable bad guy! Give the guy some purpose… please! LIstening to Stannis whine on a beach was about as bad as I have seen the show handle one of the most captivating caharcters in the series.

What I did Not Like:

Nothing really sunk to the level of outright dislike. I thought this was the best episode of the season and loved almost every minute of it. I also LOVED the slower pace that gave us time to feel each individual story line.

60 minutes of win.

Edited by Rockroi