[Book Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

Why the HELL do so many of you idiots think that Stannis just wanted to fuck Mel for the hell of it? it was clearly obvious that he wanted to produce another Shadowbaby to take out another enemy. Hence her telling him that he grew weak, and there was another way.

He flat out says that he wants Robb and Joffrey dead.

Some of you need to please pay more attention before coming with this THEY RUINED THE CHARACTERZZZZ stuff

Well, I don't think you need to call people idiots for theit opinion, it's really not nice to put in this way. As for your comment, well for me it was clear since the preview of the episode that he was talking about a shadow son and not a real one and I believe that many here got it. However comparing book Stannis with show Stannis makes lots of book readers frustrated, since so far the character development is not going very well on the show, at least IMO and I'm not a book Stannis fan.

You realize that most people that aren't book readers are probably cheering like crazy right now thinking Jaime got what he deserved. As did the majority of book readers before we got to see new Jaime. So cutting to that song is quite appropriate for the circumstances at hand. People who are Team Stark have been waiting for something to cheer about, Jaime losing his hand is one of the few cheers they are going to get for a while.

It happened here at home, since I watch the show with two non book readers and, despite the fact that they didn't cheer, because they were surprised by the scene, after the show all the talk was about the fact that he deserved. Once again, I had to control myself, since I've read all the books and love Jamie.

So many great lines this episode!

Hot Pie to Arya and Gendry- Don't get stabbed.

Gendry- Don't... burn your fingers.

Tyrion- This is more than I pay you in a year.

Bronn- He's a squire, you don't pay him.

Tyrion- Then it's definitely more than I pay you in a year! (Nice callback to Tyrion not knowing how much he's paying Bronn)

Dany- Yes, all men must die. But we are not men.

Hot Pie- I'm no Stark of Winterhell.

Arya- Winterfell.

Hot Pie- Are you sure?

Arya- I'm sure.

And so many more...

Winterhell was really priceless!!

He was the member of the Night's Watch that was looking around at the girls in Craster's Keep. I was not expecting to see him at all in this and it shocked me. I really can't believe he'd just be a Night's Watch extra either, but I also can't see how they'd just start featuring him to be important.

I saw him even before that scene, I mean when they were arriving at Craster's Keep and found very strange to see him as a member of the NW considering that I don't recall him from previous seasons, so I guess he will have a larger role in the next episodes.

Episode was fucking incredible. It had some of the funniest scenes in the entire show, contrasting really heavily with some of the most tense and nail biting segments with Theon and Jaime/Brienne. The cut to credits with that song just further reinforced the dissonant tone of the episode and I thought it was absolutely amazing. We were alternating between laughing our asses off and gaping in horror.

What is with the casting of Edmure Tully? He's supposed to be handsome and dashing...a womanizer.

This ugly old man on my screen is NOT and could never be a womanizer. For a show that usually does a great job with finding characters I'm a little disappointed.

Sure he can act stupid and useless but the Edmure in the books at least looked good while doing so (at least in my mind).

I have a feeling they are going to leave the Greyjoys out the show... Stannis only said I want Joffrey and Robb dead. So I dont think we are going to see Balon Greyjoys fly off the bridge... I was eager to see that scene... No dead Balon no kingsmoot... No euron no Victarion !? Or maybe they are keeping this for later, when some of the old characters will be dead...

I always picture this scene in my head for some reason and always wanted them to do it .. sadly it's always very comical in my head i.e a 10-second clip of Balon stumbling drunkenly across the rope bridge between castles - gust of wind comes and he goes flying over.. I'd have to imagine it would be hard to completely eliminate the Greyjoy's if they plan on doing a 5th season.

Who the hell saved Theon....that wasn't in the books, or have I just forgotten?

It's not directly in the books no - I'd imagine GRRM had some input on this because the entire writing staff (including Martin) was very hush about Theon in this season.. I have my theories on why they added it and I'm enjoying it so far.. sadly it's going to be getting much worse for poor Alfie but he seemed really excited to be able to act out these scenes from his interviews.

Oh and as this is the book spoilers thread I guess it's no secret as to "who saved Theon".. I don't want to spoil it for you but it's obviously someone you do not want to call "bastard" lest you want an arrow down your freakin gullet :P

Edited by Esero

My goodness. When rock "Bear and the Maiden Fair" started playing I practically jumped out of my skin. A) it was extremely confusing because the music started playing in the middle of the last scene, drowning out Jaime's pivotal moment, and the dialogue beforehand. B) Well...there could not have been a more jarring and irrelevant song to hear right after Jaime getting his hand cut off.

But I really loved that they incorporated this song in this episode! And the rock version...well I think I just found my new ringtone haha.

Meereenese knot. Yes, yes writers! Continue doing good things like that! The whole Pod scene was yes, kind of useless, but so funny.

Melisandre and Stannis scene--made me cringe seeing uptight, hard-ass Stannis saying, "I want you" like that, but I liked Melisandre's reaction. That scene shows just how much Stannis relies on Melisandre for his power.

Ramsay's introduction--awesome! "You bastard!" and then Ramsay just calmly sticks an arrow through his face. Gosh I feel so bad for Theon, but I'm excited to continue watching his and Ramsay's storyline.

I liked the part with Talisa and the Lannister boy. It was funny the way she was like "is it full moon? No? OK then, you have nothing to worry about." scaring the wits out of the kid.

The good bye to Hot Pie was quite fun to watch too. "What is this?" "It's a wolf." "Is that the tail?" LOL

Again another episode that had me laughing out loud, or going "oh no s/he di'in't!" or just plain clutching my face (Jaime. cough. cough). It is definitely different watching things unfold onscreen than reading about them happening.

So who here clapped at the Meereenese Knot joke? The non-reader friends I watch with looked at me strangely, but I just told them "you'd have to be there." Regardless, absolutely incredible joke on the part of the writers.

The great thing about it is that its not even really a book reader joke, rather its a hardcore bookreader joke

The back story that we only get in bits and pieces on Theon is that Ramsay played head games with him before the worst of the flaying, cat-and-mouse stuff. Ramsay, after all, is the person who lets his girls go as if they would be able to escape, and then hunts them down and flays them. This is a version of the game he's playing with Theon.

I think Edmure is being shown as a twit because the show-only people don't get all his back story, and it will make it seem all the more reasonable to understand how he could have been so out of the main events that happen at the Red Wedding. He just misses the important stuff. While the Blackfish can do things with nonchalance.

A shame Mance could not have been as well cast as Blackfish was.

I enjoyed the rock version of the Bear and Maiden Fair because when we eventually see the Maiden Fair with the Bear, Jaime Lannister is gonna rock big time. To me it seems like a neat piece of foreshadowing. :)

And I loved Hot Pie saying "Winterhell"! "Winterfell!" "Are you sure?"

Haven't seen this mentioned in this thread yet so ill bring it up. Was it just me or did Bronn pick up what looked like to be a glass candle in Tyrion's office when they were discussing Littlefinger's ledgers??

I thought it looked like a piece of quartz tied to a rope, like a cheap necklase or something.

Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought valiantly, and Rhaegar died. Jorah's delivery of one of the lines I've been most anticipating gave me chills.

Did you notice the shifty eye barriston gave when jorah said Rhaegar was dead? :dunce:

So who here clapped at the Meereenese Knot joke? The non-reader friends I watch with looked at me strangely, but I just told them "you'd have to be there." Regardless, absolutely incredible joke on the part of the writers.

Was that a book nod? Refresh my memory?

... he REFUSES to kill Edric Storm to please Mel.

I am extremely sorry that we don't get to see this side of Stannis on the show. I don't really care that Stannis is being portrayed as weak and totally whipped by Mel, but they're kind of generic bad guys right now and giving him a chance to demonstrate wrestling with his sense of justice would have been good.

What I hope we see more of is multi-character King's Landing scenes. I thought those were some of the best scenes in books 2-3, as well as Sansa observing different things within the court, and I hope they're not cut out in favor of one-on-one character scenes (especially if the one-on-one is Tyrion and Shae).

Were the Lannisters so young in the book? I don't remember having many feelings about it one way or the other when reading. It was a good move to show them onscreen and they should probably do it again next episode.