[Book Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

Wouldn't Tyrion's betrothal to Sansa have been revealed in the "chair scene" if it were ever to be revealed? Maybe they are cutting Tyrion/Sansa wedding...

Spoilers for TV show:

The wedding's going in. It was spoiled a long time ago that the Tyrion/Sansa wedding was happening and that it would fall in Episode 8...The 3x08 episode description states "King's Landing hosts a wedding, and Tyrion and Sansa spend the night together." There's also a shot in one of the trailers of Tyrion's hand slamming a dagger down and Joffrey reacting at some sort of gathering, and this is almost certainly from the book incident at the wedding feast where Joffrey wants to go ahead with the bedding and Tyrion refuses and threatens Joffrey.

...I sort of thought the wedding might be cut, since the writers aren't shy about changing other big things, but nope, it's definitely going in.

Edited by Newstar

I think ppl are really overreacting with the whole, "Tv Stannis is weak" thing just because of the last episode. We don't get any Stannis or Mel pov chapters in ASOS we only get Davos so all the tv series is trying to show is that there is obviously an emotional and very real intimate connection betwwen Stannis and Mel that is definitely one of the reasons(among other obvious reasons) that Stannis refuses to part with her, and the book Stannis would never admit to that even though it's obviously true. If you've watched the countless season 3 trailers as most have then you should know that Stannis will get back to his normal badass self by the end of this season. There's a scene in one of the trailers that shows Stannis talking to a man behind a cell that is most likely Ser Davos, and he lays out a pretty badass quote in my opinion:

"The Darkness will devour them all, unless I triumph. We do not choose our destiny, we must do our duty no? Great or small we must do our duty."

Ya I'd say Stannis will definitely end this season as his normal stone cold, mean muggin, badass self.

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Correct me if i'm wrong, but around this time in ASOS, don't Jon and Ygritte start getting down and dirty on a regular basis? Till now there's been no indication of that on the show. But i believe that, along with Jon's feelings of conflict between what he felt for Ygritte and his honour and duty, was one of the stronger points from the Beyond the Wall thread from the books (Especially since they've toned down the characters of Mance and Tormund). Any idea if they would bring in all that later into the season?

Could someone please answer this for me. Was the music supposed to start before the hand was cut off because it did for me? Or was it supposed to start during the credits?

I suppose I would feel differently about the song if this happened while I was watching. I'm just so amazed by the harsh feelings that one little piece of music has caused. I did assume that the Bear/Fair song was supposed to be a fun drinking song, but even the other version seemed a bit hard to keep up with. Especially after a wild night of downing tankards.:)

I loved this episode. The best so far this season for me. My non book reader husband is very confused though. I am enjoying explaining who's who.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but around this time in ASOS, don't Jon and Ygritte start getting down and dirty on a regular basis? Till now there's been no indication of that on the show. But i believe that, along with Jon's feelings of conflict between what he felt for Ygritte and his honour and duty, was one of the stronger points from the Beyond the Wall thread from the books (Especially since they've toned down the characters of Mance and Tormund). Any idea if they would bring in all that later into the season?

Well in one of the season 3 trailers there's quick glipse/image of a scene where Ygritte is stripping down in front of someone who is most likely Jon Snow. So I'd say Jon and Ygritte will definitely form the beast with two backs at least once this season lol.

Edited by Jon Icefyre

I think ppl are really overreacting with the whole, "Tv Stannis is weak" thing just because of the last episode. We don't get any Stannis or Mel pov chapters in ASOS we only get Davos so all the tv series is trying to show is that there is obviously an emotional and very real intimate connection betwwen Stannis and Mel that is definetly one of the reasons(among other obvious reasons) that Stannis refuses to part with her, and the book Stannis would never admit to that even though it's obviously true. If you've watched the countless season 3 trailers as most have then you should know that Stannis will get back to his normal badass self by the end of this season. There's a scene in one of the trailers that shows Stannis talking to a man behind a cell that is most likely Ser Davos, and he lays out a pretty badass quote in my opinion:

"The Darkness will devour them all, unless I triumph. We do not choose our destiny, we must do our duty no? Great or small we must do our duty."

Ya I'd say Stannis will definitely end this season as his normal stone cold, mean muggin, badass self.

I think people forget that characters need to go through arcs in order to maintain the drama and seem real. It seems like everyone wants the characters to be one way 100% of the time, and/or they think the way the characters appear NOW is the way they will appear throughout the rest of the series.

I don't know if it has already been said in this very long topic, if so, excuse me. I'm a little concerned with the Ramsay-Theon story line. After the quite not impressive first and second episode this third one seems pretti awsome to me, with the BF, the heartbreaking farewell of Arya and HotPie and the very funny Tyrion-Pod-Bronn scene in the whorehouse; but what's going on with Ramsay and Theon? How could they kill the bastard so early in the series? I mean, we don't even know which importance Ramsay will have in TWOW or in ADOS, so, what will they do with the Winterfell sotryline of ADWD?

I think also that these few scenes of Theon in prison could not give the idea of the very big sufferance that this character got in the books (wich is very important in his psychological developpement, think about all the Reek thing and the depersonalization) to everyone who just watches the HBO series and does not read the book series.

And in the end, who the hell is the lad who saves him?

What do you think about it?

I don't know if it has already been said in this very long topic, if so, excuse me. I'm a little concerned with the Ramsay-Theon story line. After the quite not impressive first and second episode this third one seems pretti awsome to me, with the BF, the heartbreaking farewell of Arya and HotPie and the very funny Tyrion-Pod-Bronn scene in the whorehouse; but what's going on with Ramsay and Theon? How could they kill the bastard so early in the series? I mean, we don't even know which importance Ramsay will have in TWOW or in ADOS, so, what will they do with the Winterfell sotryline of ADWD?

I think also that these few scenes of Theon in prison could not give the idea of the very big sufferance that this character got in the books (wich is very important in his psychological developpement, think about all the Reek thing and the depersonalization) to everyone who just watches the HBO series and does not read the book series.

And in the end, who the hell is the lad who saves him?

What do you think about it?

Honestly I don't know if I have the heart to spoil it for you or let you find out by watching the show.

Edited by The Duke of J-Town

I'm really liking Jorah and Barristan scenes, as it is more interesting this way as they both are aware of each other. Like Jorah saying "Is it 'we' already" was great. I'm just wondering that since Barristan wasn't in the Small Council in the show, how will they do Jorah's exit?

Also not sure if this is discussed in the thread but I don't have the time to go through it, so sorry if it is.

On Locke:

Whose to say Locke isn't a sellsword hired by Roose? I think this a oppose to him being some knight or his lieutenant is reasonable. All we know is that he is Roose's "hunter." As a sellsword, it would establish an additional tie to Vargo explained by his poorer upbringing. Also it alleviates him from the responsibility of thinking about the political implications of Jaime. On the other hand, he is directly planning on ransoming Brienne, so the treatment of Jaime isn't hypocritical. Considering the butterfly effect of taking the Bloody Mummers out last season, this seems as true to the books as you can get if you ask me.

He carries the Bolton banner so do his men, all of whom refer to him as "Lord." They wouldn't bother with this if he was a sellsword, and also they are obviously trying to incorporate Bolton men as much as possible.

Dany's line with Barristan was stupid. She said something like do not question me in front of the strangers. That was stupid. Barristan was kingsguard of the 3 kings. He was in the all important meetings. He must have known courtesy better than anyone.

It was from the books, but I agree with you. The only reason it worked in the books was because, at this point, Barristan was still "Arstan" and not a member of Dany's queensguard.

^

but he, and Jorah for that matter, think of dany as inexperiencedchild, she is suppoused to be 15 isn't she? so I understand his doubts.

what is a meereense knot? I can't remember it mentioned in the books!

The Mereneese Knot was what George called his problem of getting the story in ADWD together (and therefor a big part of why the book took so long to finish). Since he had to scrap his original idea of there being a 5 year gap after ASOS he had trouble with the timing of when characters arrived at Merreen and how they would affect each other.

So in the show it was a little nod to all of us that have waited for ADWD for a long time.