[Book Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

I thought you were talking about in the books, but i think it applies to the show as well.

Would the ball have been knocked from her hand if Barristan hadn't intervened? No. Therefore, he saved her life.

I took it to be that , as in the books, when Jorah is dismissed, Barristan becomes her main advisor, and he's still there by the end of ADwD.

Setting up Jorah to frog march Tyrion to Meereen.

By the by Barristan saves Dany's life yet again , but I don't know if they are going to use that.

(By the by on the show I have not seen one of her Blood Riders with her at all. There were three that seemed to accompany her in Astapor all the time in the books , tho they seem to hang in the background.)

As to Dany owing Baristan her life.... i don't think so. He was only doing it to gain her acceptance so he might have a chance to apologise for failing her family. He is loyal to her, as a member of her Queens guard, but saving her is his duty.

Dany doesn't owe him anymore than any Queen owes her protectors.

Well if she was dead he would hardly have had the opportunity to gain her trust.

Doesnt change the fact that he saved her life, before he was her protector even, in the show and the books.

And again later on, from Mero in the books (though at this point it was his job)

I now think even less of Stannis after that weird scene with Mel. I'm not one for complaining, but that was just plain character assasination IMHO.

I also disliked how they treated Edmure at Hoster's funeral, the whole shoving him out of the way was unnecessary there are other ways to show how badass BF is.

The Pod/whores scene was weird on many levels. It was just a blatant boob fest on the shows part. Merely feeding critics of the show more ammo IMO.

Why do we see so little of Jon :dunce:

I loved the final scene!(with the exception of Brienne not seeing/hearing Jaimie save her butt). Still bummed that there's not Vargo Hoat though.

All in all good episode, glad that the pace is finally picking up.

Edited by Grand Maester Mithrandir

My jaw dropped when I saw Gazza!! yea I think he's the man who's gonna stick it to Craster

I thought they dragged Rast back for that.Gorman is too big a name and too good an actor for a bit part like that.But,he's wandering around like he belongs and no one is questioning his presence,so yes it looks like he's the Craster killer,not Coldhands.

Odd,though.

Here is what I think of the episode. I review each one.

Is anyone else just wanting them to reveal Ramsay! I think they are dragging that out a bit now. I want to see Iwan as Ramsay, not the boy.

I think it is better to watch the series without reading the books. This is the first series i have gone into knowing what happens. It;s not as good.

STOP READING haha

Well,it's too late now.I've read them all twenty times.I can't unread them,nor squeeze milk back up a cow's udder.And no,the Ramsay reveal will happen,and be more devastating for the viewer,when the time is ripe.

We are telling the same thing. Sorry my English is poor so i can't explain myself. I'm saying that Barristan should have never question Dany in front of the strangers. This is out of character. He has been in hunderds of meetings and he must have learned not to question your king/queen in front of the strangers.

i agree with both of you. however, i think the questioning is more to emphasize that these are DRAGONS. he knows that she isnt technically queen of anything right now, if she gives away her dragons, she never will be. i think he questions her more in the books later on, but never in public or without her first asking for counsil. i dont think he fears her in the same way he feared aerys either. also, we remember that once he was given his "retirement," he said whatever he wanted to the king, so to me he comes across as an outspoken dude. its the same thing ive always said about dany...you get what you pay for...

Edited by timstanton

I think it would be a waste to reveal that Boy is Ramsay already. It will obviously be much more of a shocker for the viewers if he is planted as a decent guy, helping Theon, showing up at just the right time after Theon over and over again has been beaten, hurt and mistreated - only to one day twist the knife and turn the heat up, showing what a sadistic, wicked man he actually is. It will have a larger emotional impact if he looks like the perfect angel with a halo that turns out to be the devil in disguise. Personally, I enjoy watching the game. We didn't get it in the books.

Edited by Peptalk

I think it would be a waste to reveal that Boy is Ramsay already. It will obviously be much more of a shocker for the viewers if he is planted as a decent guy, helping Theon, showing up at just the right time after Theon over and over again has been beaten, hurt and mistreated - only to one day twist the knife and turn the heat up, showing what a sadistic, wicked man he actually is. It will have a larger emotional impact if he looks like the perfect angel with a halo that turns out to be the devil in disguise. Personally, I enjoy watching the game. We didn't get it in the books.

umm you might wanna check out preview for episode 4! ramsay is taking theon to Moat Callin to draw out remaining ironborn. then he will flip the switch. maybe not episode 4 but def by 5. also helps add name Theon TurnCloak before he becomes Reek

Well,it's too late now.I've read them all twenty times.I can't unread them,nor squeeze milk back up a cow's udder.And no,the Ramsay reveal will happen,and be more devastating for the viewer,when the time is ripe.

sup busy bee. see any major rewrites coming to season 3? like you i have read the book so many times that i am getting VERY impatient waiting for the winds of winter so i would rather see the show really put their own "twist" on this season (SoS) to surprise me.

i just don't get why season 3 won't end SoS. yes its got some important parts towards end but making season 4 again about SoS seems boring to me. then on top of that GRRM/D&D say they want to incorporate 4&5 into 4! too much i say, cut/edit SoS to make it work for season 3 then start anew with AFFC/DoD with season 4.

yea we gotta have stannis,jon,mel parts from SoS in season 4 but danny will need to be in meereen & i would like to see tyrion/arya in essos as well. also besides the trial of tyrion in kl most of the characters story arc's will need to be from AFFC & ADoD

umm you might wanna check out preview for episode 4! ramsay is taking theon to Moat Callin to draw out remaining ironborn. then he will flip the switch. maybe not episode 4 but def by 5. also helps add name Theon TurnCloak before he becomes Reek

(snip)

Well, if that turns out to be the case, that would be a major departure from the books! So, you're saying Theon does the Moat Cailin thing before he calls himself Reek and before Ramsay reveals himself to Reek? Wow.

Well, if that turns out to be the case, that would be a major departure from the books! So, you're saying Theon does the Moat Cailin thing before he calls himself Reek and before Ramsay reveals himself to Reek? Wow.

There's no way this is happening. Ran would have definitely mentioned it by now. The preview has Ramsay saying that his sisters men are in the castle, but that might just be motivation to get Theon back to the dungeon.

There's no way this is happening. Ran would have definitely mentioned it by now. The preview has Ramsay saying that his sisters men are in the castle, but that might just be motivation to get Theon back to the dungeon.

I would favor this interpretation. Introducing the Moat Cailin scene this early would be just too major a departure from the books, and to no apparent end.

Agreed, including it this early would be a misstep imo and would make Theon seem like an even bigger idiot/turncloak/more unsympathetic. God knows he doesn't need help with that with most viewers :lol:

I thought they dragged Rast back for that.Gorman is too big a name and too good an actor for a bit part like that.But,he's wandering around like he belongs and no one is questioning his presence,so yes it looks like he's the Craster killer,not Coldhands.

Odd,though.

This is really odd indeed. It's extremely weird that they would bring a relatively "big name" just to die the next episode. And I really don't see how they could expand this role. He'll probably kill Mormont, survive, and get his end later in the season somehow.