[Book Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

I like what they're doing with Theon and Ramsey. It's a nod to what we Know from the books but don't actually get from ASOS. The whole cat and mouse, capture, release, capture. We know he does this hunting measure with woman. The "I am your friend, meanwhile I'm the one actually doing this to you." A nod to how he was initially introduced as Reek, gaining trust and then bam. Also a parallel to how he used to play with Reek as children, while turning Theon into Reek in his own sadistic way. It's a great way to show them both this season when they weren't in ASOS. It's like the untold story we didn't get in the book.

Make sens ! Because he really needs to break him bad for the rest of the story...

In DWD, Mel notes how her bed has had little use since Stannis has been gone.

The question is why do people think he doesn't have a sexual relationship with Mel? It's obvious that him and his wife have been estranged for years. He is quite weak after losing Blackwater at this point and rightfully so because it takes Davos to remind him his duty to the realm.

He won't have his redemption until the end of this season.

Could someone please answer this for me. Was the music supposed to start before the hand was cut off because it did for me? Or was it supposed to start during the credits?

I don't think it was supposed to, but it happened on my viewing as well. I confirmed with several others that it started before the hand was cut off. It was very jarring and sort of ruined the gravity of that scene.

Ok, so this episode wasn't thrilling to me. I was actually bored a lot of the time. One thing I don't get, and I hope someone can explain it to me - Why did Pod get the whore services for free?

THe problem with that is that if we saw more of Stannis than we could have a better feel for his overall character and how he is. Unfortunately, all we are seeing of him is this bitchy guy complaining and begging Mel to give him stuff; like he's six and she has the quarters to his favorite Arcade game. If they gave Satnnis more face-time, I would be able to forgive it, but they do NOT have that kind of time to give him so they just make him whiney and petulant. Meh...

LIke I said, I get that he is weakening, but that does not mean he should be a weakling.

Not entirely true; we see that Stannis is a wreck; that he mourns Renly (not bitching that Renly laghed at him) and that he WILL NOT take retribution out on his lesser supporters- the scene where he is advuised to invade and butcher a small island that went back over to Joff. Stannis, wisely, refuses. We see that he is still in command; still leading; no quit in him. He also listens to Davos (kind of important); that he is working and that he REFUSES to kill Edric Storm to please Mel. This is hardly the same guy who chaes Mel to the beack to beg her for some nooky and to make another shadow baby.

However, do not mistake me- it can't be like the book; I accept that certain changes need tp be made and time is of the essence. I just think there was a more reasonable and effctive way to present Stannis than what we saw.

Stannis is one of the most whiny, petulant characters in the books, especially book 2. All he does is complain about his brothers and all the shit they got and that he didn't get. He's a miserable, jealous, resentful and bitter. Never understood all the Stannis love on this board.

so by end of season jamie returns to Karstark’s Lavoratory (KL) for gold hand & Oathkeeper, tyrion marries sansa, jöff dies at his wedding tyrion is framed for Saruman (S) escape too by varys/Quest of Thrones (QoT)/Lord Frey (LF), Richard Wagner (RW) happens, jamie returns to Her Highness (HH) with Internet Protocol (IP) training to save Bambi ( B. ) in Best Ever Arch-Rival Prince In Training (BEAR PIT) saves her gives her oathkeeper & she goes to find lady Celine Dione ( C. ) but might find lady Serendipity (S.) then Jamie returns to Karstark’s Lavoratory (KL) to free tyrion we get tysha/Iñigo Montoya (i) killed your son scene then tyrion kills shae/I am your father, Luke (tywin). enough lannister for for 7 episodes Ichabod Crane (i) hope Significant Other (so)

You’re right! Once you puta it that way, it’s guaranteed to be awesomest!

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

so by end of season jamie returns to KL for gold hand & Oathkeeper, tyrion marries sansa, joeff dies at his wedding tyrion is framed for S escape too by varys/QoT/LF, RW happens, jamie returns to HH with IP training to save B in BEAR PIT saves her gives her oathkeeper & she goes to find lady C but might find lady S. then Jamie returns to KL to free tyrion we get tysha/i killed your son scene then tyrion kills shae/tywin. enough lannister for for 7 episodes i hope so

Really? I seriously doubt they will do BOTH the Red Wedding and the Purple Wedding in the same season will they? That will take some balls...

Isn't there all the stuff with the switched babies (Gilly's and Mance's)? Does that happen in ASOS or AFFC? The books are starting to blur together to me. But one of the great things about the TV series is that they can just select what events they want to depict when. So it;s hard to predict exactly what we will get in S3.

S304 looks incredible, with a scene between QoT Tyrell and the Queen Regent!

Could someone please answer this for me. Was the music supposed to start before the hand was cut off because it did for me? Or was it supposed to start during the credits?

If you watched it online then it screwed up. The regular viewing on TV the song aired only during the credits.

I don't think it was supposed to, but it happened on my viewing as well. I confirmed with several others that it started before the hand was cut off. It was very jarring and sort of ruined the gravity of that scene.

Ok, so this episode wasn't thrilling to me. I was actually bored a lot of the time. One thing I don't get, and I hope someone can explain it to me - Why did Pod get the whore services for free?

I'm guessing Tyrion had it planned, to make Pod feel good or....he's got two twelve inch cocks and a tongue he could lick his own forehead with.

I took it as Pod is a sexual tyranosauras. Edited by Completely Headless Ned

Cersie and Tyrion play a game of chairs, priceless. That brief moment was all about facial expressions, and it played so well. It actually ties into the books a bit in how Tywins kids are often reduced to kids in front of him. There were a lot of highs and Stannis is the only real low, massive change in his character from the books.

Still waiting for Tyrion/Sansa, thought it was coming at the Council. Liked that the put some of the characters internal monolouge into script form. Glad the showed the Lannister boys, and you know what that is building up to. You can see the age and see one of the reasons Robb gets pissed. To many people on this board stand up for Karstark.

You can see where the journey of Reek is going, someone is training his pet.

Jamie and Bree banter was different, but I can actually understand some false bravado by both parties in their present situation.

The Hot Pie scene was really well done, short but sweet. The bread was great, excuse me, really good.

Mance? Seriously, I am not feeling it at all, and they are just chopping the hell out of it. Might asa well just cut it from the show at this rate. I don't even think the producers want to film it, they would rather put Tyrion and Shea in a scene then even bother with the north. Sam, something missing there? Maybe an important moment in his life? Let me guess he saves the baby and that's when he kills the Other.

How did I NOT see what "The walk of punishment" referred to?! When I saw that it was a total DUH moment for me.

I was for sure this episode would be Ramsay's big reveal! Maybe other people were right when they said DD will let "Boy" stretch on to the RW.

Yeah, I felt a bit dumb for not getting that earlier. In the books it was the "Plaza of Punishment" but the Walk of Punishment works just as well.

I'm liking where this Theon thing is headed. Like many readers, I thought it would be fairly monotonous and grim if the whole season was just Theon getting flayed and physically tortured, but this episode sets up his relationship with "Boy" to be one of mental/emotional manipulation and brainwashing, which is far, far more interesting. Can't wait to see where it goes.

I'm guessing Tyrion had it planned, to make Pod feel good or....he's got two twelve inch cocks and a tongue he could lick his own forehead with.

This makes sense, I suppose.

I took it as either Pod is a sexual tyranosauras or he chickened out.

I figured he chickened out, but it wasn't made to seem that way. It was just so weird, and felt unnecessary. I could have done with Pod not returning this ep, especially in the middle of Iron Bank talk.

Really? I seriously doubt they will do BOTH the Red Wedding and the Purple Wedding in the same season will they? That will take some balls...

Isn't there all the stuff with the switched babies (Gilly's and Mance's)? Does that happen in ASOS or AFFC? The books are starting to blur together to me. But one of the great things about the TV series is that they can just select what events they want to depict when. So it;s hard to predict exactly what we will get in S3.

S304 looks incredible, with a scene between QoT Tyrell and the Queen Regent!

Yeah especially since the scene people thought indicated th PW (Marge and Joffrey at the sept) is happening next week from the preview.

Man, if that's the bizarre art the White Walkers like to do in snow, imagine what they'll be like when they come across a genuine crop field!

I laughed hard at this! :lol:

Well... about the episode... Ignoring the usual changes, I really loved this episode. It made me laugh a lot and also remember why I love this story so much in the first place.

Some things that were great points for me:

1- The moving chairs scene. I had a big smile in my face.

2- Tyrion and Bronn wanting to hear the gossip like two girls.

3- The Tyrion-Littlefinger dialogue "You are richer that I am." "Good point."

4- The inclusion of the "Rhaegar"quote.

5- Wonderful acting by Nikolaj. I really love Jaime, and his perfect acting was a gift for me.

6- The introduction to the Tullys. It was different, but good, and I agree that the Edmure-Robb strategy didn't diverge from the basic plot. I actually like that they even kept this plot line.

7- Edmure missing the arrows.

8- Riverrun in the opening credits.

9- The way they are introducing Ramsay.

10- The Robb-Stark-turns-into-a-wolf rumor. I thought it was very nice of D&D to bother mentioning that.

And what I didn't like:

1-Stannis wanting Melisandre.

2- Mance not being a bard.

3- Edmure portrayed as an idiot.

4- Jon's story is absolutely boring in the show, although it's one of the best parts in the books.

I watch with my non book reader sister and her just reading book one now boyfriend, and they both kind of cheered when Jaime got his hand cut off saying he got what he deserved, whereas I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOO."

Watching it happen is so different than reading it. I think my imagination played it down.

Wow your sister doesn't even give him credit for just saving Brienne from gang rape? That's harsh.

So who here clapped at the Meereenese Knot joke? The non-reader friends I watch with looked at me strangely, but I just told them "you'd have to be there." Regardless, absolutely incredible joke on the part of the writers.