[Book Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

I was wondering WHAT was Arya talking about when she said to the Hound "Do you remember the last time you were here?". After reading this I remembered she does not stop talking to him about what he did to Micah from Season 1!

This was me exactly. I was so confused what she was babbling about and then I remembered. I appreciate the continuity there.

Burn Gorman apparently showed up in this episode since his name was in the credits (I didn't notice him at all, I'll have to rewatch). It seems odd to me that he's playing a glorified extra in the night's watch when he's a well established actor. Anyone have any ideas who his character might possibly be if he has one?

I don't know who that is. But after a google search and seeing his image, he is indeed in this episode. We catch glimpses of him when the NW meet Craster outside, and when he looks up at one of Craster's wives

Edited by Tom son of Tom

Lets all give Jaime a hand for getting Brienne out of a "sticky" situation!

Loving Locke, he's Vargo but not a lisping idiot. I really wanted Ramsay to reveal this week , it'll probably be a 3-4 episode arc before he does.

Yeah. At one point I was wondering how they were going to include Vargo Hoat without him looking like a completely friggin' stupid character.

Problem solved. Replace him with... well... a less completely friggin' stupid character.

Not that the guy didn't have his charm, mind you (I mean literary charm, obviously, not that I think I need to clarify). But I'm liking Locke as a TV character.

Dany scenes were good, especially the bargaining scene, I loved how Barristan and Jorah were so distraught about the dragon, I remember feeling that way the first time I read it. I'm wondering whether they'll keep her being able to understand the trader in, since they still haven't made mention of it. I loved that they kept the line that Rhaegar was honourable, he was true, and he died. One of the best lines from the books.

Hey, I just ironically read that chapter on Saturday. It turns out Kraznys is speaking a Ghiscari corrupted form of Valyrian. And Dany knows High Valyrian, but makes out like she doesn't know it at all. It gives one a nice hint why she "gave" the Dragon to Astapor. ;)

Sorry! I guess I should have clarified it for other people who were confused with me. The Walk of Punishment is the area where slaves are punished in Astapor.. When Dany was walking with Jorah and Barristan, one of them says something about the walk of punishment then gestures to the row of whipped slaves. There was an entire board here with posters guessing at what the title of the episode meant prior to airing.

Nearly every episode has a hidden meaning in its title, one obvious, the other not so much. The Walk of Punishment (as mentioned in the episode) was the area where the slaves were displayed. But the small walk of punishment that Jaime took at the end of the episode will surely be the one most remembered.

Edited by TripleOZero

Soooo.....

Basically Locke chops Jaimie's hand during a fit of jealous rage, feeling inadequate next to Jamie's fancy words, and riches, and looks, etc. - and probably without fully thinking out the consequences before he did it?

I mean, he just ordered Brienne to be left unharmed in order to preserve her value as a swap, so why else would he turn around and harm Jamie, an even more valuable prisoner?

Good action-packed episode. My bookreader knitpicks:

-I keep waiting for Sam the Slayer. When he went outside at Craster's, I thought for sure it was going to happen.

-Pod is a child in the books and is totes adorbs (Ser? My Lady?) Pod getting laid squicked me out a bit.

- "I should have been there." Well, take heart Cat, you were there in the books.

I know the Robb/Edmure strategy stuff wasn't the same as the books, but I felt like it still held to the same basic plot. Hot Pie was cute. Does he still not realize Arya's a girl? He said "brother of a king".

Not bothered really by the Stannis/Mel changes. He does sleep with Mel for recreational purposes in the books, so him wanting her is not out of character. He is kind of crazydesperate after Blackwater. I have no idea how the Gendry changes affects all this, interested to find out.

Jaime hand chopping - OMG. I was expecting to be more emotional, but it happened so quickly. Jaime screamed. Wow. Great acting by NCW. Also when Jaime tells Brienne to steel herself for the impending rape. That's when Jaime starts caring about her.

Kind of hoping Jon's storyline picks up soon. It's dragging.

Soooo.....

Basically Locke chops Jaimie's hand during a fit of jealous rage, feeling inadequate next to Jamie's fancy words, and riches, and looks, etc. - and probably without fully thinking out the consequences before he did it?

I mean, he just ordered Brienne to be left unharmed in order to preserve her value as a swap, so why else would he turn around and harm Jamie, an even more valuable prisoner?

It does lack some logic, but a medieval woman's virginity was big deal. It isn't as if nobody will ransom the kingslayer back if he only has one hand.

Soooo.....

I think you just answered your own question

Loved the episode. The credits at the end sort of ruined the Jaime scene. I would rather have preferred that they show Jaime getting his hand chopped off like they did then fade to black and then have Jaime scream. Also, I would have used a sadder tone for the bear and the maiden fair at the end credits not that rock version I felt that was a weird and out of place. The rock version would have been a better fit at perhaps the end of episode seven?

So much happened in this episode, almost forgot: It seems likely that Mel is off seeking Kingsblood which would make Gendry the likely source. I like it. Edric Storm isn't that important character that he can't be combined with Gendry. And it keeps Gendry around which is good because I like the actor.

It does lack some logic, but a medieval woman's virginity was big deal. It isn't as if nobody will ransom the kingslayer back if he only has one hand.

Precisely. To Tywin, at least, Jaime wouldn't really be worth any less, even though it's perhaps not the smartest strategic move Locke could have made.

OTOH, in context, given the culture, if you kidnap a woman and take her virginity, you probably won't get her weight in horse manure for her, much less sapphires.

It's not nice, but that's kinda how it was.

Soooo.....

If I recall from the books, the goat planned to use Jaime's hand as a token to get Tywin to ransom Jaime. Perhaps they will work that in. But it's still difficult to do that since Locke is more solidly Roose's creature than Hoat ever was.