[Book Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

Soooo.....

Basically Locke chops Jaimie's hand during a fit of jealous rage, feeling inadequate next to Jamie's fancy words, and riches, and looks, etc. - and probably without fully thinking out the consequences before he did it?

I mean, he just ordered Brienne to be left unharmed in order to preserve her value as a swap, so why else would he turn around and harm Jamie, an even more valuable prisoner?

I don't think Locke expects that it will most likely be Roose who takes revenge for Jaime's hand.

It does lack some logic, but a medieval woman's virginity was big deal. It isn't as if nobody will ransom the kingslayer back if he only has one hand.

Exactly.... Tywin would pay the same for a one handed jaime or two handed. Of course, there is no evidence that Locke is looking to ransom Jaime to his father at this point. I think Locke is about to go on a power trip, much as Vargo did in the books.

Why the HELL do so many of you idiots think that Stannis just wanted to fuck Mel for the hell of it? it was clearly obvious that he wanted to produce another Shadowbaby to take out another enemy. Hence her telling him that he grew weak, and there was another way.

He flat out says that he wants Robb and Joffrey dead.

Some of you need to please pay more attention before coming with this THEY RUINED THE CHARACTERZZZZ stuff

Why the HELL do so many of you idiots think that Stannis just wanted to fuck Mel for the hell of it? it was clearly obvious that he wanted to produce another Shadowbaby to take out another enemy. Hence her telling him that he grew weak, and there was another way.

He flat out says that he wants Robb and Joffrey dead.

Some of you need to please pay more attention before coming with this THEY RUINED THE CHARACTERZZZZ stuff

[mod] Let's take it easy. No need for name calling.{/mod]

Soooo.....

Basically Locke chops Jaimie's hand during a fit of jealous rage, feeling inadequate next to Jamie's fancy words, and riches, and looks, etc. - and probably without fully thinking out the consequences before he did it?

I mean, he just ordered Brienne to be left unharmed in order to preserve her value as a swap, so why else would he turn around and harm Jamie, an even more valuable prisoner?

Hoat does the exact same thing in the books. It's just the character. Take it up with Martin.

I don't want to like that Bear/Maiden segway, as it's just so out of place and awkward, but because it's so awkward and whacky it somehow love it.

AVClub loved it. Even the experts thread.

I think it was an interesting choice. Most of the episode was very lighthearted for a GOT episode, very comedic, and then it ended in a completely dark moment. Then the fast cut to the punk rock theme just oddly worked for me, but I can get why others may have been taken out of the moment.

overall though I just don't think it's that big of a deal, they still completely nailed the actual scene.

Edited by JonDunn

'His screams to close the episode end up making for one of the best cut-to-credits in recent memory, particularly when accompanied by the raucous rendition of “The Bear And The Maiden Fair” by The Hold Steady.'

From the AVC review. But this is a definitely a controversial choice.

Cutting to an up-beat rock song RUINED the entire moment, for me at least. The gravity of what just happened is totally ruined. It's like when they ended the movie Being There w/a blooper real. Ruins everything.

For me Jaime's losing his hand is only a moment of gravity in retrospect. I think generally speaking the first timer still does not root for Jaime before he loses his hand. Its the turning point for him.

Edited by Zman1863

Burn Gorman apparently showed up in this episode since his name was in the credits (I didn't notice him at all, I'll have to rewatch). It seems odd to me that he's playing a glorified extra in the night's watch when he's a well established actor. Anyone have any ideas who his character might possibly be if he has one?

He was the crow staring at Crasters woman.

Cutting to an up-beat rock song RUINED the entire moment, for me at least. The gravity of what just happened is totally ruined. It's like when they ended the movie Being There w/a blooper real. Ruins everything.

You realize that most people that aren't book readers are probably cheering like crazy right now thinking Jaime got what he deserved. As did the majority of book readers before we got to see new Jaime. So cutting to that song is quite appropriate for the circumstances at hand. People who are Team Stark have been waiting for something to cheer about, Jaime losing his hand is one of the few cheers they are going to get for a while.