[Book Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

I just loved the look on Jaime's face as it happened, the way he didn't realize what had happened at first and then the realization, the emotions playing on his face. So much good acting occurring in an instant. It was heartbreaking to watch but brilliant. At this point I honestly do not believe that anybody else could have played Jaime.

I need that recorded version of "Bear and the Maiden Fair" in my life.

I liked that they threw Pod a bone -- no pun intended. It was a good moment, as the show is playing up the Tyrion/Pod/Bronn team...plus, we need these moments since the season is going to get much darker in the coming episodes. Might as well capitalize while you can. Moreover, Pod is going to become more important, so might as well try and develop a rapport between the character and the viewers now.

I find that Jon's arc is the one weighing down the early season so far, whereas last season it was Dany. At least we know Jon's arc should pick up steam soon...but, I also felt that way last season with Dany.

Gwen had her best episode of the series tonight. Good stuff. I found her to be too wooden last season, but she's really showing her chops this season.

The musical Council chairs scene was beyond epic.

Edited by Bastard of Boston

Was Missandei not weirded out that Dany understood what Valar morghulis meant?

Valar Morghulis/Valar Dohaeris are common expressions in the free cities - and even though it would be a foreign language to a Westerosi - it would be the equivalent of telling an american, "C'est la vie" - he or she may not speak french but they would know what that phrase meant.

Edited by winterstood

I just loved the look on Jaime's face as it happened, the way he didn't realize what had happened at first and then the realization, the emotions playing on his face. So much good acting occurring in an instant. It was heartbreaking to watch but brilliant. At this point I honestly do not believe that anybody else could have played Jaime.

I am such a Nikolaj-Coster Waldau fan because of GOT - you HAVE. NO. IDEA! :)

Yeah, there was moment before he started screaming when he was just looking at his hand and then the realization. It was a subtle thing, but really nicely done.

From a purist standpoint I wasn't happy as usual. I continue to wish Theon would just disappear for 2 seasons. The Podrick scenes were IMO a waste of time. Too much sex talk. And I can't picture Stannis behaving the way he did with anyone.

Positives: The last scene was great. Even though I think they should stick to the books whenever they can, I feel they did indeed improve on the source material in that last scene.

I might be alone in this but I feel that while Stannis comes off super weak, Mel straight out tells him he is being weak by saying your fires burn low. I think it's a pretty normal and human reaction to such a crushing defeat. While it's not totally true to his character progression through the novels, I still have faith we'll see the hard ass Stannis that many of us love.

Wow! That final scene was amazing! So much goodness in this episode. I really didn't mind how they made Blackfish seem kinds of like an asshole and Edmure kind of a fool. Love how they're handling teh Ramsay/Theon stuff. Cant wait for the payoff there. Also it seems like theyre really making up for how shabbily they handled Dany last season. Love love love it!

So good. So goddamn good. 10/10. And so funny, I was laughing almost the entire time it seemed.

The thing is though, the first two episodes weren't nearly as good. If GoT can be this good, why isn't it always at least nearly this good? This episode is proof that's its possible to balance all the different plotlines without seeming jumpy or giving anyone a shortshrift. The Jon story maybe, but, much as I loved that one in the books, that one isn't nearly as interesting in the show; and hasn't been through the entire series. But yeah, I heart this episode this episode so much.

Even if I was drinking brandy (yeah, and?) throughout.

Minor criticism but how were the Bolton men's horses so much faster than Theon's? And I'm sorry but being hit by a morningstar with the combined momentum of two horses would destroy you, not simply knock you off your horse.

I don't think he was actually hit by the morningstar, the way I saw it he jumped/fell off of his horse before he was struck.