[No Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

The end was really shocking to me. I was 98% sure that Jamie was going to break loose and kill the entire camp to "save the day" for Brienne, and then we would be conflicted about his character, etc. I couldn't believe when his hand was chopped off! This is really disappointing to me, because I was so looking forward to future fights with other skilled characters. He always had that "untouchable" quality and nobody really ever came close to taking him down, so this feels disappointing. Now he's going to be a broken man, and it's the end of any possible showdowns with other swordsmen. Boooooo!

Maybe his eyesight isn't so great - the boat was quite far away if you look at the frame before he shot the arrow.

He was looking at the flag for wind direction, yes.

The end was really shocking to me. I was 98% sure that Jamie was going to break loose and kill the entire camp to "save the day" for Brienne, and then we would be conflicted about his character, etc. I couldn't believe when his hand was chopped off! This is really disappointing to me, because I was so looking forward to future fights with other skilled characters. He always had that "untouchable" quality and nobody really ever came close to taking him down, so this feels disappointing. Now he's going to be a broken man, and it's the end of any possible showdowns with other swordsmen. Boooooo!

I'm so glad a tv-only viewer felt Jaime was untouchable. That fight with Brienne has people confused as to how excellent a swordsman he actually is. Ofc they'll believe what they want, but Brienne thinks back on how epic he actually was after having been starved for months with his hands chained.

Edited by Revae

Speaking still as a Book 1 reader - almost done! - I have a feeling that Astapor slaver is going to get his butt kicked - he's been so rude and nasty and we know Danaerys doesn't like rude, nasty people and doesn't like slavery. I like her and Missandei - they're shaping up to be the Power Puff Girls of GoT - I hope they get some girl power going on, this show needs more female influence besides evil manipulators (Cersei, Melisandre) and whores (gotta have that gratuitous nekked women scene). Brienne is a good foil to those two character types, but we need more of the warrior woman energy. Something tells me Arya is going to fulfill her own prophecy about not becoming the lady of some manor - remember when she told Eddard "That's not me."

The chair-scraping hilarity made me think that Tyrion now is past caring just how much he pisses his father off - in fact, I think that's what he was trying to do in that scene. Literally, scraping his father's last nerve - and has anyone else noticed that Tyrion's overall attitude and tone are much darker and not as light-hearted this season? In seasons 1 and 2, he was more offhand with joking around, except in the most dire situations - but this season, his words have more bite and he is less concerned about who he bites, and how hard. There's a deep anger there that wasn't previously. The Chihuahua is taking on pit bull dimensions, a very subtle transformation, but it's there, probably the outcome of realizing that Cersei sincerely tried to have him murdered. That could be off-putting, couldn't it?

Edited by Arrow

He always had that "untouchable" quality and nobody really ever came close to taking him down, so this feels disappointing.

Ned Stark had a good go at him and Jaime's man had to stab him from behind to stop that fight. Brienne also gave him all he could handle, with the ready excuse for him that he had been resting in captivity.

Ned Stark had a good go at him and Jaime's man had to stab him from behind to stop that fight. Brienne also gave him all he could handle, with the ready excuse for him that he had been resting in captivity.

Brienne actually thinks back on the fight and how epic Jaime actually was after having been starved for months, and with his hands chained during the fight. It wasn't meant to be so one sided.

Also the Ned fight never happened with Jaime either - Jaime would've ripped him in half.

One of the things that disappoints me is that they never mentioned how when Jaime realised the fight was lost against Robb, he cut his way through to kill Robb, and took down a lot of Robb's defenders, about 5-10 himself with very little opposition.

Only 3 people are said to be a match for him when he's not starved and in chains.

Brienne actually thinks back on the fight and how epic Jaime actually was after having been starved for months, and with his hands chained during the fight. It wasn't meant to be so one sided.

Also the Ned fight never happened with Jaime either - Jaime would've ripped him in half.

One of the things that disappoints me is that they never mentioned how when Jaime realised the fight was lost against Robb, he cut his way through to kill Robb, and took down a lot of Robb's defenders, about 5-10 himself with very little opposition.

Only 3 people are said to be a match for him when he's not starved and in chains.

They do say he cut down 10 of our men, or something to that effect, when they first capture Jaime.

It's a little sad how much they played down Jaime's battle prowess...yes, he was a good fighter against Brienne while in chains and locked up for a long time, but Ned Stark being a good match for him is laughable.

All of Jaime's prowess is sort of hinted at through some dialogue in the show. I would have liked if they make him seem the prodigy he was in the books as well, but oh, well.

I think they will have a good opportunity to display it showing him getting significantly better at fighting with his left while practicing with Ilyn Payne or whoever the hell they get to replace him in the show.

Hmmm...that was a pretty vivid hallucintion in season 1. If Jaime was doing so well I wonder why his man had to hamstring Ned from behind? Jes sayin

If I remember correctly, Jaime's man made his move by his own will. I doubt Jaime would ev3r require any help in a one-on-one fight.

Yep. That's why Jaime bitch-slapped the guy after he disabled Ned from behind. Jaime was hugely pissed off at the soldier for doing that. I got the feeling Jaime wanted to disable and detain Ned himself, and he could have done it easily without the soldier's help.