[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends thought and their predictions.

WinterKing

I think the reason a lot of non-book readers aren't enjoying this season is in part thanks to all the catching up/introductions. And I think the show did a poor job introducing the new characters.

My friend was very confused as to who the hell the Tully's even were. There was absolutely no mention of ANY Tully for all of season 2, then all the sudden Robb shows up and starts yelling at Edmure. I bet a lot of people during that scene were trying to figure out who Edmure even was. In the books, the Tully's play a really big role. We meat them all in book 1 and by book 3 they are well established characters

Samething with the reads. I talked to a few people who just don't get what's going on in Bran's storyline at all. It was made a bit clearer in the books. You can tell Bran is going to have a huge role to play from book 1. The Reeds are also established early in book 2, here they just show up in the woods and you're just kind of like WTF?

The Jaime situation made little sense. In the books, Lord Vargo had already been established since book one of having an obsession or dare i say fetish for cutting off people's limbs. This guy locke is an evil dude, but you're given the impression that he just cuts off jaime's hand because he hates him. in the books, there is the whole back story of Vargo being brought to Westeros by Tywin, betraying him for Roose, being promised Harrenhal by Roose, and therefore wanting to send Tywin a message, in addition to his reputation as the foot man.

I also just found Vargo Hoat to be a hilarious character. Very evil, but so fricking hilarious, especial the thapphire scene. I think this Noah Taylor is doing a great job as "Locke" but the character from the novels is far more interesting. Its like when you read a scene with Hoat, you don't know whether to laugh or be frightened, especially with the voice Roy Dotrice uses for him.

I know its a complicated show, but I just think these things all could have been explained a bit better.

The Jaime situation made little sense. In the books, Lord Vargo had already been established since book one of having an obsession or dare i say fetish for cutting off people's limbs. This guy locke is an evil dude, but you're given the impression that he just cuts off jaime's hand because he hates him. in the books, there is the whole back story of Vargo being brought to Westeros by Tywin, betraying him for Roose, being promised Harrenhal by Roose, and therefore wanting to send Tywin a message, in addition to his reputation as the foot man.

Well, in the show, Locke is almost insulted at how stupid Jaime takes him to be, and is fed up with his "My father" blessed-born arrogant crap. He's a member of a house whose sigil is a flayed man and Jaime is a prisoner fighting for the opposing side. It seems pretty likely that some resentful soldier of a historically brutal house would like to send a message to the high and mighty lord of an opposing house.

my friend - "this show doesn't have the spark to it that it used to" :( it's the most exciting time of the series!!!!

Everyone misses Ned Stark's spark. It is known.

My favorite speculation so far is from my sister; she hasn't read the books but she tends to over-think things, so she's a great source of theories. She thinks that Dany is going to join forces with Robb through Talisa's family this season, since it's been mentioned that she's a noblewoman from outside Westeros. She's also fairly certain that Theon is being decieved by a Stark loyalist, that he's been rescued from the ironborn and is being delivered to Robb for "proper" punishment.

Dany decieving the slaver was caught on to fairly quickly by my non-reader friends, they're fully expecting her to hand over the dragon and let him get roasted when it gets unruly. They also think that Stannis is getting addicted to magic and he's going to go through a downward spiral, maybe even become a full-blown villain. It's fun to hear their thoughts.

Riverrun and the Tullys were met with a bit of confusion, and a couple of them ended up really disliking the Blackfish right away for his treatment of Edmure. :lol:

true, i know a couple people actually who have liked the show much less ever since he died :(

to be fair, season one was a deal better than season two (imo.) but season three will be better than one!

to be fair, season one was a deal better than season two (imo.) but season three will be better than one!

True. I recall not really enjoying aSoS as much as aGoT up until we get Jaime's dismemberment, then his chapters just totally took over. I surprisingly found the Jon/NW stuff a bit boring and sort of anti-climatic even though they essentially fight two battles. But we had 2 epic weddings and Oberyn Martell. I think we'll only get 1 epic wedding and no Oberyn until S4.

I found the Jon stuff boring too but it was better on the re-read. Buut yeah shit's gonna hit the fan soon. I wonder what sorts of theories will go on after this season is wrapped up...

I guess people care a lot more about the Starks (especially Robb) than I ever did

Stark Blindness is all too common, especially amongst non-readers, sadly.

I love the how much everyone loves Iwan :P

I was quite reluctant for them to include Jeyne's wedding night, but if he develops a fanbase, I think they might just have to include it, just so that we really hate him. Either that or show him raping peasants. The last thing the world needs are Ramsay fanboys/fangirls claiming that he's just "misunderstood" or something. We don't need another Viserys/Malfoy situation :)

After S2 I had people ask me if Sean Bean was ever coming back.

I replied "Ned's dead, buddy. Ned's dead."

LOL - Welcome to the world of GRRM, boys and girls. People DIE. Really die. Even GOOD people! *sigh* Hollywood and its good guy syndrome has a lot to answer for ...

I was quite reluctant for them to include Jeyne's wedding night, but if he develops a fanbase, I think they might just have to include it, just so that we really hate him. Either that or show him raping peasants. The last thing the world needs are Ramsay fanboys/fangirls claiming that he's just "misunderstood" or something. We don't need another Viserys/Malfoy situation :)
Ah yes, those wonderful memories of HP fandom and the wild Malfoy adoration :D

I think people will be disappointed with Tyrion's arc this season - but it'll be made up for next season. Jon's arc will also get much better come Season 4 - the only problem is I'm not sure if people are strongly invested in Jon's story. Kit Harrington has some work to do!

This season, episode 4 will be amazing, episode 5 will be amazing, episode 6 will be amazing, episode 7 will be amazing...you get my point. ASOS only gets exciting when Jaime loses his hand. All the best stuff happens now.

My friends already predict the "Dracarys" scene. However, they are fully in dark with regard to Theon. Better keep them that way. It seems obvious that the producers intended the viewers to believe that Theon was being held at the Iron Islands.

Unfortunately, they have not yet familiarized themselves with the Boltons.

Well, in the show, Locke is almost insulted at how stupid Jaime takes him to be, and is fed up with his "My father" blessed-born arrogant crap. He's a member of a house whose sigil is a flayed man and Jaime is a prisoner fighting for the opposing side. It seems pretty likely that some resentful soldier of a historically brutal house would like to send a message to the high and mighty lord of an opposing house.

Well he's even stupider than Jaime took him to be, without any hindsight required in that type of situation you should take Jaime's gold or his head.

I think this thread is my favorite. I love all of the non-reader theories. It just further confirms how amazing GRRM is at shocking you and twisting things around.

My Dad cracks me up the most though because he is just flat out a 100% Dany fan and thinks she has something to do with everything on the show and that she is going to end up taking care of everything and everybody.

My other half thinks Stannis is a villian, likes Tywin because of Charles Dance, couldn't care less about Robb or the Tullys, and thinks Jon Snow is a woose. He also thinks Emilie Clark looks better with dark hair.

Very logical, all of those, Stannis might still end up being a villain for all we know, Dance rocks Tywin, Robb is one of the least sympathetic hero characters around in the show, Jon is a bit of a whiner and Emilia Clark definitely looks better with dark hair!

Archived