[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends thought and their predictions.

WinterKing

It's just like, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I really hate how the show turned Jaime into a total villain(berating and patronizing even people like Jon Snow for no reason) and being psychopathic(murdering his own cousin in cold blood, and by surprise) - even though Jaime is actually one of the most likeable characters in the books and is PROBABLY going to be a major hero by the end. (That, or go all murder-suicide with Cersei. But I hope GRRM doesn't go this route, it'd be way too obvious)

I have a feeling most readers didn't like Jaime all too much when he lost his hand. He becomes likeable much later.

I really hate how the show turned Jaime into a total villain(berating and patronizing even people like Jon Snow for no reason) and being psychopathic(murdering his own cousin in cold blood, and by surprise) - even though Jaime is actually one of the most likeable characters in the books

I felt like that was a trap being set by GRRM and didn't by into it. It all felt like the whole deal and all the blame was being laid at Cersei's feet. The justice of him losing the hand that pushed Bran out the window notwithstanding, I can't bring myself to walking into Jaime's corner yet.

me: 'Do you pity Jaime for losing his hand?'

mom: 'No, he is an asshole, he threw the little kid of the tower, remember?'

me: 'Do you like Theon's escape, or do you think he deserves some more torture?'

mom: 'More torture.'

Yeah, she's a kind woman indeed...

The four non-readers I watched with all felt pretty bad for Jaime, since he did just help save Brienne / has been amusing the whole season.

The Dany reaction was hilarious. When she said it, all four went "whoooooaaaa!!!!!" . . . then paused, and all decided "oh, she's totally playing the shit out of him, nevermind."

The funnest part for me was my hubby's reaction to Jaime losing his hand. His mouth was hanging open and he kept sputtering, "His hand! They just cut off his hand!" He said he thought maybe a finger is what it was leading up to but not his whole hand.

He is is entirely confused about Theon and kept waiting for Yara/Asha to show up. But I agree with pp up thread that this is intentional by the writers so the non-book readers are in for a shock.

Both my Dad and Hubby agree that there's no way Dany is giving up her dragon and believe that some people are about to be cooked.

Here the main discussion with my no-reader family members was about Jaime and despite the fact that their first reaction - a while after the shock - was that he deserved, they started to think more about Jaime and Brienne's relationship and discussions and started to see that maybe Jaime is not as bad as the one that threw Bran from the tower and even considered that Cersey is really a bad influence in Jaime's life. It was kind of hard to talk with them and hold my tongue. As for Theon, they are still have no idea about what will come and finally, they both agreed that Dany has a plan and she won't give up the dragon, what was really cool.

me: 'Do you like Theon's escape, or do you think he deserves some more torture?'

Wish we still had "Like" buttons! 'Cause I definitely "Like" what you wrote. Too, too funny.

ETA: Both of my co-workers who haven't read the books but are gung-ho about the TV series are OUT today! Nobody to discuss it with, I'm so bummed!!!

Your mom is a little scary, Crown. ;P

It's funny how when you give them a little while to stew on things they start to piece it out. Now it's becoming more obvious to them that Dany's "deal" isn't exactly what it seems, she loves her dragons way too much.

My friends that watched the show with me also read the books, so we just discussed the Theon part a bit.

However, I have a friend in college that watched the show with his dorm mates. When it was over, one of his friends made an online search to find out what is the Kamasutra position known as the Meereenese Knot.

I don't know if it is true or he just made a joke about it, but I couldn't stop laughing when I heard that.

However, I have a friend in college that watched the show with his dorm mates. When it was over, one of his friends made an online search to find out what is the Kamasutra position known as the Meereenese Knot.

HAR!

That's just awesome. Thanks for posting that, I think that just made my day

All three of my nonbook reading room mates were pretty much ABOUT TIME and SERVES HIM RIGHT over Jaime's hand.

It's just like, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I really hate how the show turned Jaime into a total villain(berating and patronizing even people like Jon Snow for no reason) and being psychopathic(murdering his own cousin in cold blood, and by surprise) - even though Jaime is actually one of the most likeable characters in the books and is PROBABLY going to be a major hero by the end. (That, or go all murder-suicide with Cersei. But I hope GRRM doesn't go this route, it'd be way too obvious)

Also, they think Edmure is retarded. Maybe i'm the only one, but I never felt Edmure was THAT inept in the books. I mean, yes he messes up a few times... I don't know. Maybe I just need to reread those ACoK and ASoS Catelyn-in-Riverrun chapters.

Jaime is a dick until he loses his hand. At least for the most part.

All three of my nonbook reading room mates were pretty much ABOUT TIME and SERVES HIM RIGHT over Jaime's hand.

Also, they think Edmure is retarded. Maybe i'm the only one, but I never felt Edmure was THAT inept in the books. I mean, yes he messes up a few times... I don't know. Maybe I just need to reread those ACoK and ASoS Catelyn-in-Riverrun chapters.

I'd say that contrary about Jaime. He has no redeeming actions being shown in the books up until that point but in the show we've seen that him killing the Mad King actually was what he thought was the right thing to do in order to save innocent lives. We don't learn about such things from Jaime in the books until way after he's lost his hand. I'd be really interested to hear what you think Jaime does prior to losing his hand that makes him "one of the most likable characters in the books". Jaime is my favorite character but the only reason I liked him before he lost his hand is because I really enjoy good bad guys and because he's really funny when he's travelling with Brienne, but he's funny by being a true arrogant asshole. The only good thing he does is what he also does in the show, which is telling Brienne how to save herself as much injury as possible when the men will rape her and then tell Vargo/Locke about the sapphires, but that's pretty much at the same time as him losing the hand.

As for Edmure, his failures of not being able to light his father's funeral pyre and that he beats the Mountain at Stone Mill when he wasn't supposed to are both in the books. If anything his blunder with the Mountain is a much bigger deal in the book since if he hadn't done that Tywin would likely have been defeated.

Jaimie is NEVER likable until after he loses his hand.

I asked my friend whether he still think Theon deserves it, and this is his response:

"Theon deserves to die a horrible death that lasts days if not years"

At this point I just told him to read the books. I wonder whether he'll still feel the same way after reading ADWD.

As i mentioned in 2 other threads, one of my friends who isnt a book-reader thought that Iwan Rheon is a bastard of Ned Stark and that he's going to play a major role in the story in helping Robb win the war. I resisted heroically in givung spoilers and started to play my own game with his mind by telling him that Theon is one of the luckiest men alive to find such a nice guy willing to help him in his situation :)))) Another friend who watched the show suspects that he's the bastard of Bolton and that he'll deliver Theon to Robb, he hasnt got the slightest suspicion that the Boltons would betray Robb and thinks that they are useful against their enemies, as Locke who chops Jamie's hand was flying a Flag with Bolton's flayed man on it. They will be in one hell of a ride this season :))))

Archived