[book spoilers] Samwell

So, I was concerned that Sam the Slayer would not happen. But after the birth scene I can see where this is going (Sam follows Craster and encounters The Other takng the child). I think that this will tie in nicely wth Gilly and Sam and make more sense for the show (the girl was Gilly right?).

Thoughts? Does anyone else think that Coldhands will make an appearance in the next few episodes?

(Sam follows Craster and encounters The Other takng the child). I think that this will tie in nicely wth Gilly and Sam and make more sense for the show (the girl was Gilly right?).

Thoughts? Does anyone else think that Coldhands will make an appearance in the next few episodes?

I don't think thats what will happen. Sam won't have to save the child from Craster. The mutiny will do that for him. He and Gilly (yes, it was her) will then flee together with the baby and later he will encounter the White Walker and become Sam the Slayer.

I'm getting the feeling Ghost will save Sam from the Other and be under attack himself when Sam finally gets the courage to fight to save his dead friend's direwolf.

This will be on the march home when Sam's fallen behind, not with the baby.

Since they havent established Mance is an expectant father, doesnt this cause problems down the road?

No. Why would it? Was there some scene where it was totally appropriate for Mance to give Jon a slap on the back and say something about being a proud wildling pappy once and for all?

Actually it was kinda important that Sam became the Slayer before mutiny - so that Mormont was seen and heard to take him seriously and so that on the verge of death Mormont stressed to Sam the need to inform about it.

Eh, I'm not sure the way things are going in the show it's strictly necessary Sam become the Slayer before the mutiny, I think it's more or less set up to go in the same direction plot-wise either way. And I do think in the show the Mormont-Sam relationship is sufficiently developed anyway.

Actually it was kinda important that Sam became the Slayer before mutiny - so that Mormont was seen and heard to take him seriously and so that on the verge of death Mormont stressed to Sam the need to inform about it.

Agreed. In the book Sam at least manages to send away the ravens before the Fist is overrun, plus he slays an Other. For a fat fool, that's pretty impressive. Show Sam on the other hand is nothing but a burden to Mormont.

I'm guessing they are delaying Sam the Slayer in order to make it more of a Neville Longbottom moment. Sam's been shown to be bumbling and inept up until now, and they are really piling on with Rast insulting him and Mormont not having much confidence. I agree that the Slayer has to happen in front of the NW, otherwise what's the point? I couldn't for the life of me remember how Sam gets Gilly and the baby out of Craster's, I had to go look it up. So, if he gets them out during the mutiny, then we are running out of time for the Slayer to happen with the NW as witnesses.

Agreed. In the book Sam at least manages to send away the ravens before the Fist is overrun, plus he slays an Other. For a fat fool, that's pretty impressive. Show Sam on the other hand is nothing but a burden to Mormont.

The book effectively conveys that while he is fearful and "soft", he has sense of duty to override his fears. He is still fat, bumbling fool - but he does his best.

In the show he is just a fat stupid coward who will suddenly shine, in the book he gets there gradually.

I actually expected Sam to become Slayer before he met Coldhands, but I like the idea of him saving Gilly's baby.

Ditto. And IIRC in the book, Sam slayed the White Walker before they got back to Crasters. I've got to go back to the book, though, and see just how he did get out with Gilly and the baby. Somehow it seems like there was just so much chaos with Mormont getting killed that he just kind of found her sort of on the fringes of the chaos, as he was, too.

I can't count how many times Sam pisses himself in the books Even after he slays the other, he is still just as cowardly. I just don't understand the love that this fat bastard gets in the books and in the show. I guess it's because he's so pathetic and innocent? The only thing cool about his story arch is coldhands, and they sure as shit better not cut sir badass elk rider out of this series.

I can't count how many times Sam pisses himself in the books Even after he slays the other, he is still just as cowardly. I just don't understand the love that this fat bastard gets in the books and in the show. I guess it's because he's so pathetic and innocent? The only thing cool about his story arch is coldhands, and they sure as shit better not cut sir badass elk rider out of this series.

Sam is highly overrated IMO and has been quite the burden on everyone who helps him. His cowardice basically killed Aemon. Killing the ww was pretty much luck.

Archived