[BOOK SPOILERS] Pod and whores

teemo

So, any real point to this scene except for an excuse to see nudity? I actually thought there was some kind of purpose to it when the whores didn't take Pod's money, but apparently it was supposed to be funny. I do like seeing more of Pod, however. I guess any way to introduce him is a good way? He'll be with Brienne eventually now, I assume - good sign :)

Ran's analysis: http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Episodes/Entry/Walk_of_Punishment/Book_Spoilers/#Analysis

Meh, that whole scene was gratuitous beyond repair. First I thought Pod didn't have to pay becuase he chickened out, then I thought LF gave him "one on the house" for bits of information about Tyrion, but there're a better informants than poor, stuttering Pod. So I guess he's really such a skilled lover even whores want to be with him. Way to go, kid.

Hilarious scene imo, bronn and tyrion are like you fucked the whores for free? They need to know how.

Furthermore I felt it was there as pod is a strong presence throughout the books, helps to build his character.

We know now he is either well hung or a master with the tongue.

Pod having to give Tyrion and Bronn the birds and bees talk, or at least some additional information, was priceless.

Too bad I saw that future scene with Mell and Dondarion, or I would have said that Mel was on her way to KL to have Pod's super shadow babies.

Don't be such a fuddy-duddy, I liked it :)

My theory (which I saw in the recap in wicnet) is that Tyrion paid them on the side for the whole "we can't charge you after such sweet lovin'",

... Oh. Now i have learnt something. :)

Tyrion and Bronn seemed surprised but they are good actors though.

I just read Ran's (I think it's Ran's?) analysis of it and really like it - http://www.westeros....ilers/#Analysis

That's perfectly spot on. I get that they need to break the tension, but it was pretty horrible. The final joke fell flat. Also to add an in-your-face yet pointless mystery (who paid the prostitutes?) that I had to think about in order to make sense of the scene... worst part of the episode by far.

Not everything needs "a point". When you get down to it, everything in the story that doesn't involve the threat of the White Walkers is filler in any case.

But I thought that it was funny, and it brought a good dose of humor to the show, which it's going to sorely need as we get further on in the season.

Also, its nice to flesh out Pod more.

I guess my sense of humor is lame. I didn't find it funny or clever at all...

Ah, you missed the episode's inside humor.

See, GRRM was stuck in the Meereneese Knot, when Pod's scene with 3 naked women untied him. Thus we got ADWD.

/end sarcasm

Not everything needs "a point". When you get down to it, everything in the story that doesn't involve the threat of the White Walkers is filler in any case.

Disagree. While I don't know author's final aim (obviously), I would think it will be more akin to Babylon 5 story - with both the "mystical" conflict (Shadows vs. Vorlons in B5, Ice and Fire here) and the "game of Thrones" (B5 rebellion against Earth; GoT here) have equal weight. And characters ignoring either of these will get it rough.

It was a bit pointless, and the nudity was once again gratuitious, but it entertained me enough to the point where I didn't mind it's inclusion.

To be honest, I think reading the books has caused the inability of many of us to simply relax, let loose and watch what's unfolding in front of us. We're always fretting about when certain events will occur, or trying to analyze every single aspect of a scene, assessing it's relevance and importance to the overall plot. Sometimes, it's fun to just let all that go, and simply try to forget that you've read the books. The plot doesn't necessarily have to run a mile a minute. Hell, us readers sometimes analyze everything on the show even more than TV critics!

Case in point: Breaking Bad's pilot has a scene where Skyler gives her husband a half-assed handjob while surfing for deals on eBay. Is it highly important character development? No. Is it crucial to the plot? No. Is it well-done and entertaining enough to watch? Absolutely. There's no reason why Game of Thrones should be held to a different standard when it comes to deciding whether throwaway comedy scenes should be included or not. Personally, I didn't find the Pod scene that funny(the funniest part was "Lord Twatbeard", and that wasn't even related to Pod), but getting so worked up over it is a bit of an overreaction.

Archived