Stannis Ruined? (Book Spoilers)

Well, he does have some Wall Rescuing to do; so they might be setting things up to twist the audience's expectations.

Just look at what they're doing with Ramsay, for instance.

And will do with Jaime, if they reveal the events before his Kingslaying.

I don't know, Stannis wasn't really in the first part of Storm, all you heard about him were rumours of never leaving the Red Woman's side and burning people. He kind of was a villain. As long as his direction changes when Davos eventually sways him then I don't have a problem just yet.

That scene felt really weird to me too, but since Davos was locked up all through this period it's kind of a blank spot for us as readers anyway. I guess it makes sense that he'd be pretty "off" after such a crushing defeat.

Dan Weiss thinks Stannis would make a terrible king (at 4:30)

:shocked:

Renly... practical? If so, couldn't he have joined Stannis, be claimed his heir and... whoops! Stannis died in the big battle! Shame, that.

Unquestionably better king than Stannis? I guess Renly is Aragorn, everybody likes him, so of course he'd know what to do!

It also changes Davos' lordship and handship - in book it was clearly done in the presence and with approval of Mel - despite Davos' open defiance of her god. She pretty clearly states "I know you are not my friend, but you are friend of Stannis".

I fear the writers kinda demolished this character dynamic, turning Stannis to a terribly shallow character.

As for the checklist above:

Using dark magic to kill your own family? Check. Did the said family plan to do the same to you (and your men) using conventional approach? Check. Tit for tat.

Considering burning your own nephew? Check. In a way and in context, it is rather interesting to see someone putting duty to realm above family. Tyrion also considers taking steps (which won't be pleasant) against his nephew and actually poisons his sister, yet he is writer's beloved :)

Allowing your most loyal servant to rot in a dungeon? Check. Again, books give a bit more background - one part of which is that Davos is kept for a prolonged period in pretty warm place, which is, from medical PoV, exactly what he needs to get over the illness. Generally it was evil on the level of modern day escape courses (minus the interrogation, sleep deprivation etc.), which are inflicted on loyal servicemembers to test them ;)

:shocked:

Renly... practical? If so, couldn't he have joined Stannis, be claimed his heir and... whoops! Stannis died in the big battle! Shame, that.

Unquestionably better king than Stannis? I guess Renly is Aragorn, everybody likes him, so of course he'd know what to do!

Thai is also something the book states clearly - Renly was a dolt, liking flashy stuff. "Summer child". Most characters (even some of those who thrown their lot with him) have... Doubts :)

What was that line? "I was trying to win the crown to save the kingdom, when I should have been saving the kingdom to win my crown." (paraphrase!) I said this in the other thread, Stannis was twisted by Mel's prophecies at this point in the story, but Davos showed him what a King would truly do and he did it, that's when he becomes the Stannis we all know and love. It wasn't a character ruin by any means because there's still another shift in ideologies that'll come late this season or early next.

That said, Stannis would never dry-hump Mel on a beach.

What did Jaime say about Renly being king last episode? Something about only fit for a 13 course meal? I tend to agree with that...well, if the creators hate Stannis, then big surprise he's a boring, one-dimensional villain. He might fit the "criteria" of being a villain if you use a checklist or whatnot, but I never really felt like that while reading his POVs ever...people were so up in arms about Cat's character being "assassinated," but that was one monologue...this is Stannis' entire character since he's been introduced.

Let's be honest here, Stannis is pretty much a force for evil

Using dark magic to kill your own family? Check

Burning people alive? Check

Considering burning your own nephew? Check

Allowing your most loyal servant to rot in a dungeon? Check

That's only focusing on the negatives though. Stannis does possess notable good qualities, and I think the show would be better off portraying Stannis to be as morally ambiguous as he is in the books. He's one of the greyest characters in the series, thus the show needs to do his character justice. He's more interesting that way.

This is one of the drawbacks of adapting a series that has such polarizing characters. While we may interpret him in one way, the creators might interpret him in a completely other way, and their interpretation can sometimes damage the character.

They're certainly making Stannis a more passionate sort of character. Presumably because they think it makes him more sympathetic and likable? Curiously, the enjoyment of Stannis in the novels has a lot to do with his being unsympathetic and unlikable.

Archived