[Book Spoilers, probably]The Ending

Dove

Just from browsing the reactions in the episode ratings and discussion threads it's obvious that the ending to this episode is extremely polarizing. I'd love to get perspective from others about whether it "worked" for them, why it didn't, if they found it too jarring, etc.

Personally, I loved it. The whole episode featured a lot of contrasting humor with horror or sadness - the ending was the perfect culmination of it all for me.

The senseless, pointless brutality with a smash cut to the credits featuring a cheerful, up-tempo rendition of Bear and the Maiden Fair... it was absolutely hilarious and horrifying at the same time, extremely jarring and dissonant in all the right ways. I couldn't stop laughing for at least five minutes, but at the same time going "oh, god, poor Jaime."

Easy.

Those who didn't like the scene watched the pirated version of the episode where the music overlaps Locke's final lines and the chopping itself. (pirates encoding error)

Those who did like the scene watched genuine HBO/HBO GO on TV

That's pretty funny about the pirated version, yeah. To be fair some legit HBOGo users may have gotten that quirk too, not sure.

Though I miss the "Thappireth". Pity Locke doesn't go Hoat on us... :(

Hahaha. I know, right? One of my favorite Jaime moments was after he gives Hoat the sapphires speech and he's all like, "Ah, it's nothin', I just wanted to hear him say 'thapphireth'."

I had no problems with the ending and credits, but Locke's motivations seemed a bit strange to me. The ending of the previous episode could've given me the sense that Locke's an honest northman (he wasn't even tempted by Jaime's bribe and he payed the farmer instead of killing him) if I hadn't known what was to come, but the fact that Locke's motivation to chop of the hand of the kingdom's most powerful and wealthiest man's son was... *drumroll* ... his hatred of lords. That was pretty random.

I wonder how he's going to explain this to Bolton next week. "Yeah, so this guy who both sides have been looking for or hunting since late season 1. I chopped his hand off. Why? Well, he got on my nerves. F**k you! That's why."

Easy.

Those who didn't like the scene watched the pirated version of the episode where the music overlaps Locke's final lines and the chopping itself. (pirates encoding error)

Those who did like the scene watched genuine HBO/HBO GO on TV

This is not true. I hated what they did and I was watching it on HBO. I haven't been thrown out of a story so quickly in a long time. I thought there was something wrong with my feed until I realized the song was the BatMF. I can't even understand what they were trying to do there. I can appreciate that some people liked that ending, but I actually have a sour feel for the whole episode because of that song. It took my rating for the episode from a 9 to an 8. Yes, it was just that bad imo.

This is not true. I hated what they did and I was watching it on HBO. I haven't been thrown out of a story so quickly in a long time. I thought there was something wrong with my feed until I realized the song was the BatMF. I can't even understand what they were trying to do there. I can appreciate that some people liked that ending, but I actually have a sour feel for the whole episode because of that song. It took my rating for the episode from a 9 to an 8. Yes, it was just that bad imo.

You deducted a point over the end credits? That's pathetic, its not even part of the episode. Also, its not like any of the music used so far is from the period. Half the songs have synths for fucks sake!

Didn't like it.. it's a dramatic and important scene. And then immediately cut to some bad and out of place music. Felt really off, I immediately stopped the video.

It might have been hilarious if it was used, softly, as background music for Pod's scenes.

I'm expecting him to deliever Jaimie up to Roose the way a dog drops a dead rabbit in front of its master.

And then Roose will kill him.

Depending on how they execute it, that could also provide a motivation. (He's scared of getting tortured by Roose.)

I wasn't a fan or the silly/funny/upbeat music immediately following the brutal scene. Simply because it almost plays that last moment for comedy. Or at least it makes it seem like it.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to consider the credits as wholly separate from the episode. But if that song isn't supposed to inform the scene, then it should have been pre-empted by say, 10 seconds of silence so you have a moment to ponder the moment before it kills the mood.

I get that they are using the song they introduced in the episode in the credits. And I want to hear a version of TBATMF. Thats cool. But while the somber tone of Rains of Castamere's suited the events that preceded it, that isn't the case here.

Still, this was the best EP so far of the young season and this is really my only criticism.

Supposedly the HBO broadcast on the East Coast had the ending and the credits mixed up in a faulty way. The broadcast on the West Coast had the song after the final scene, like it was supposed to be.

Apparently torrenters (that's not a word) uploaded a bad version of the episode that started the song before the actual credits started. Serves them right for making GoT the most illegally downloaded show.

The actual complaint is that the song played over the credits immediately after the scene, and it was jarring because it was rock music which didn't fit the vibe of the last scene. It's not that the song was "silly or funny," it was just misplaced.

You deducted a point over the end credits? That's pathetic, its not even part of the episode. Also, its not like any of the music used so far is from the period. Half the songs have synths for fucks sake!

Why yes I did. Opening credits of a show are supposed to prepare the viewer to enter the story. The end credits are supposed to transition the viewer out of the story. The song overwhelmed the final scene which threw me too abruptly out of the story. It was a poor artistic choice, imo. I found this choice so poor that it rated one less point, imo.

Archived