[Book Spoilers, probably]The Ending

Dove

Thought the music was a bit odd, but that scene left me screaming and holding my hand.. and I knew it was coming.

I don't know why but I didn't think they were going to show them physically cutting off the hand. I thought they'd show it off screen and just show his face yelling or something. Took me completely by surprise

Easy.

Those who didn't like the scene watched the pirated version of the episode where the music overlaps Locke's final lines and the chopping itself. (pirates encoding error)

Those who did like the scene watched genuine HBO/HBO GO on TV

Lol your distinction isn't as on the nose as you might think...

I saw it with the music overlap, thought it was (by some perverted way) supposed to happen like that and I loved it.... It was a total mindfuck, and shocked the hell outta me, even though i knew what to expect from the actual scene.

Posting this here because of one of the other threads even though it's more relevant over there because vague spoilers:

Apparently I don't watch this show as well as you guys because I get "immersed" and everything but never to the level where I'm reminded "wait oh noo i'm actually watching a tv show!!" by something slightly jarring. I'm surprised as many people disliked this as they did, I never could have predicted a reaction like that. ;P

Theon and Brienne's close shaves (and knowing what's still in store for Theon) is genuinely upsetting subject matter to feature back-to-back, followed by Jaime's sudden mutilation - not only was the song a unique, quirky artistic decision but some levity was goddamned appreciated as a transition out of the episode.

Easy.

Those who didn't like the scene watched the pirated version of the episode where the music overlaps Locke's final lines and the chopping itself. (pirates encoding error)

Those who did like the scene watched genuine HBO/HBO GO on TV

I want to see what the pirated people saw. Is there any videos online with the song starting prior to the credits?

Also, afterword I thought it may have been out of place because it took away from what just happened. Still loved it though, it was a nice surprise.

I wonder how he's going to explain this to Bolton next week. "Yeah, so this guy who both sides have been looking for or hunting since late season 1. I chopped his hand off. Why? Well, he got on my nerves. F**k you! That's why."

HAAAAAAAAAA!! OMG - now I WANT him to say that!!!!

I love the end, and the music. Jarring as hell, and perfectly so. And I loved both versions (of the song.)

Posting this here because of one of the other threads even though it's more relevant over there because vague spoilers:

Apparently I don't watch this show as well as you guys because I get "immersed" and everything but never to the level where I'm reminded "wait oh noo i'm actually watching a tv show!!" by something slightly jarring. I'm surprised as many people disliked this as they did, I never could have predicted a reaction like that. ;P

Theon and Brienne's close shaves (and knowing what's still in store for Theon) is genuinely upsetting subject matter to feature back-to-back, followed by Jaime's sudden mutilation - not only was the song a unique, quirky artistic decision but some levity was goddamned appreciated as a transition out of the episode.

:agree: :bowdown: x

It would've been amazing if they used this version of TBatMF:

I've been listening to that version for months now, so whenever I think of the song I hear it that way. It would've been perfect at the end of the episode. I didn't mind the rock one at all, but I have that version stuck in my head so...

Ohhh oh I think that version would have worked really well. It's slow at the beginning so you're still reeling from what happened to Jaime but then it gets upbeat and it provides the clashing effect. I'm gonna edit my download to have this song play, I think.

Juxtaposition works well in many situations but must be done in keeping with the world. The problem here is that the music was very modern, and very American at that, so the inconsistency detached the viewer from the world entirely. It was as bad as the awful talking-over-credits that they do these days: you want time to understand or contemplate what has just happened, but instead of being able to do so, you are distracted and annoyed. There is a certain timelessness about fantasy that is lost if random stuff that is currently trendy is injected into it so unsubtly.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the episode and I think this series has got off to a much better start than the second did.

Archived