[Book Spoilers, probably]The Ending

Dove

I have to go with my initial feeling about the ending. For a fraction of a second I thought the radio had been turned on accidentally, and I forgot all about Jamie.

Regardless of how much I rationalize the choice of music, this is how I felt when I actually watched the episode.

However, the song itself is very cool!

Watching from Australia, a country full of, hmm... impatient 'pirates', the ending was totally ruined for me. The copy I saw threw the music in 1 min earlier than the credit roll so i missed Locke's final words and Jaime's scream!!!! When the song first came on i jumped up and was like 'wtf how dare they troll me'. As a Jaime fan I'm so disappointed. Will have to wait for the DVD release to rewatch and take it in.

Brilliant! Genius! It sure did rock my world when the music started, but I can't imagine anything that could more appropriately symbolize what the whole series, what the whole war truly involves. l couldn't be more impressed (and in a good way).

This is not true. I hated what they did and I was watching it on HBO. I haven't been thrown out of a story so quickly in a long time. I thought there was something wrong with my feed until I realized the song was the BatMF. I can't even understand what they were trying to do there. I can appreciate that some people liked that ending, but I actually have a sour feel for the whole episode because of that song. It took my rating for the episode from a 9 to an 8. Yes, it was just that bad imo.

how are you taken out of the story?? it's the credits, the story is over

I had to watch the episode a second time (here HBO broadcast the show at 22h00 and at 1h45 every Sunday) to have the feeling about the ending and the credit's bear and maiden fair, since I had to leave the TV and get to my computer as soon as the episode ended to get my e-ticket for The Exhibition. However in the second time I didn't had the impact and I had already read here many comments about it. I would rather it was the Irish Moutarde version, but still liked the ending, it was very cool for a great episode.

I hated, hated, hated the music. I don't what purpose was served to jar the audience into remembering that its just a TV show by ending with a modern punk rock piece, completely alien to any music ever used before in the show. It was cheesy and cheap and trying too hard. HBO has a ton of other shows where they can show how hip they are by their choice of music. GOT is not one of them.

The song played over the credits, that is the sequence where the cast and crews' names, the production company, and the network are printed out on the television screen. That more than anything should make it obvious to the audience that they are watching a tv show.

Also most people I know who have had their hand suddenly cut off have found it to be a VERY "jarring" experience, so I thought the song worked perfectly.

I am curious why so many fans felt "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" didn't fit with the end of the episode.

Was it the tempo of the music? Hard and fast songs aren't a modern invention. They sang em loud in the middle ages too.

Was it the instrumentation? Most of the orchestral score is performed on synthesizers and classical orchestral instruments (pianos, clarinets, french horns). In fact drums and guitars might be more accurate to the faux-medieval time period of GOT than most of the music we've heard on the show so far.

Archived