Pod/ Tyrion / Brienne (book spoliers)

Rebekah

I really like the OP, and want to still disagree in that it could have been done with less nudity, but....

The nudity did serve to emphasize Pod's inexperience and lack of confidence around women. I'm not sure there is a way to have conveyed that without showing how truly awkward he felt as those women were displaying their wares. And, it's a memorable scene because of that nudity, which may make it easier for viewers to understand later why Pod is so loyal to Tyrion.

I thought it was quite obvious that Tyrion had arranged it, but apparently I was in the minority. I just think the glances Ros gives Pod and the fact that Tyrion so blatently puts the purse down for Pod to see was done on purpose so that we know that

1) Ros is buttering him up because she knows of the plan

2) Pod needs to see the purse left by Tyrion to fully register that he supposedly try to pay for it.

I doubt they'd waste several minutes on a Pod is a rockstar in the sack joke. Still, great OP.

I think I'm one of the few people who wasn't irritated by the Podrick Brothel Scene, and it's led me to consider something about the way we as fans process this show. We have a habit of going over layers and layers of meaning in Martin's texts, of analyzing sometimes on a word-by-word basis. This works because Martin is so careful to not only write his story but to craft his presentation as meticulously as possible. We've developed a high degree of trust in Martin because of this - we take note of not only what is said but how.

We as a fan base don't have that kind of faith in D&D, and tonight I think it's caused a lot of the fans to miss the point.

If you look at Pod's scene in the brothel and the follow up gossiping as simple comic relief it comes off as superfluous and silly; more in the vein of a frat house comedy than Game of Thrones. But I don't think that's what D&D were doing at all. Like Martin I think they used this to establish some very important things about where two characters are at now and where they will be at later.

First; Tyrion. We're told over and over again that "a Lannister always pays his debts." More often than not this is used as a threat or a goad to manipulate. Tyrion used it as a double entende with Mord in S1. When it is used as a promise 'help me and I will reward you' that usually means money, titles or land. Tonight I think Tyrion made good on his debt to Pod, and not with sex. With confidance.

I don't believe for a second that three high class call girls refused their fee because a young untried boy was a talented or well-endowed lover. Even if he was phenominal in bed those girls would have to accept the coin. They could never explain to their bosses (Ros and Petyr Baelish) why they hadn't. In fact they would probably face severe consequences if they did. Besides if you are hired to perform a service you don't forgo your fee because you had a good time while doing your job. You count your blessings that your job was entertaining in stead of tedious or distasteful but you still except the fee-for-service.

Instead what I took away from this was that Tyrion had paid the marker in advance. Probably directly to Ros, who runs the establishment. He put gold on the table and let Pod think that was payment. In a way it was grand theatre and Pod fell right in. The girls gave him back the money and told him what a good time they had with him, so much so that they wouldn't allow him to pay. He's confused and flattered but also a bit startled.

Pod is a shy, nervous boy. He performs his duties not only admirably but thoroughly and oftentimes beyond the call, but his shy stutter and awkward social skills have overshadowed his quality service up until now. Now he's led to belive he has a talent that is appreciated for it's own sake. He returns Tyrion's money and is immediately put in the position of explaining to two highly sexually experienced men what he did that impressed theses whores so much that they couldn't bear to accept his coin.

What Tyrion has given him in this is much more valuable than gold or sex. He's given Pod the means to feel confidant; to believe that he has innate talents and skills that are worthy of praise. He's found a way to try to make Pod start to see his own value.

Right about now a lot of you are probably thinking "So what? Who cares about the confidence of Tyrion's squire? Do we need so much screentime on this? We should have more time for (insert Bran/Arya/Dany/etc. etc.)"

But I think we do need to take the time for this.

It probably won't happen until next season but Pod doesn't just disappear when Tyrion leaves KL. He goes off and tries to help Brienne in hops that by finding Sansa he will be able to find Tyrion. This shows a great deal of loyalty. A great deal. In the books we learn something about Pod's backstory that gives us a sense of why he might be so loyal but the screen hasn't been able to clearly do that.

This gift of confidence creates a bond between Tyrion and Pod. Tyrion could have tried to reward Pod with a knighthood, gold, land, the usual suspects. Instead he took an interest in Pod as a person, almost as a little brother figure. Now when he turns up following Brienne the audience will have something to look back on and realize that Pod was more to Tyrion than a servant and Tyrion was more to Pod than an employer.

This may be a minor point - after all we have limited screen time and a lot of people won't care why Pod is so eager to find Tyrion. However Brienne is going to spend a lot of next season traveling. It's very possible they will cut Ser Hyle from Brienne's storyline in the interest of money and time. If so then Pod will be her one stalwart companion on her hopeless quest to find Sansa. Since she's willing to go to extremes to suceed I think understanding why Pod would follow her into those extremes will be important to a lot of viewers. This; I believe; is the intent of these scenes.

Great analysis. Well done. :thumbsup:

You people seem to be under the impression that D&D do subtle, they seem incapable of such.

Well that's certainly not true, but whatever floats your boat.

Anyway, I thought this scene was a funny, entertaining bit of levity to balance the seriousness of the rest of the episode and that there wasn't much more to it than that.

I also don't know if Tyrion would manipulate Pod like that, he seems quite fond of him.

Nice analysis, it might even go deeper than that, LF mentions that he owes a debt to Tyrion right at the same time Tyrion mentions he owes Pod his life. They could've worked out the idea before hand of Tyrion pretending to pay for the service then they give Pod's money back or LF could've decided afterwards as a way to pay Tyrion back.

A long time ago Tyrion believes that Jaime did the a similar thing for him with Tysha. Tyrion mentions that he isn't nervous with Tysha etc. so I don't find this situation out of the ordinary for Tyrion doing the same thing with Pod.

Tyrion sees Pod as a shy boy just like he was and a way to get him out of his shell is to give him confidence.

Bingo

I thought that was what had happened as well.

Am I the only person who thinks he came back with the money because he didn't do anything?

I also thought this was the case at first, but then Pod said he did "things", and the only "thing" I can think of is that he had sex with them. Like the OP said I don't understand why the whores wouldn't take the money, as much as they enjoyed it. And I don't understand why Littlefinger wouldn't take Tyrion's money. So, I also thought that Tyrion paid in advance.

Spoiler episode 4

I hate to ruin everybody's delusions, but Ran has already watched episode 4, and he said that the "Pod the God of Sex" subplot is just that. Pod is very good in bed, Tyrion didn't pay the whores, nobody paid the whores.

Spoiler episode 4

I hate to ruin everybody's delusions, but Ran has already watched episode 4, and he said that the "Pod the God of Sex" subplot is just that. Pod is very good in bed, Tyrion didn't pay the whores, nobody paid the whores.

I don't want to sound as a wishful thinker, but that plot may be developed even AFTER episode four! Although I seriously doubt it.

nice analysis you got there. i love pod (quite obvious with my username) but like others it felt like they went overboard with the nudity + taking too much time. although i kinda agree with what you're saying that it would build up future Pod and Brienne quest.

I love the OP's analysis of it and I love Podrick. I think the scenes, along with allowing Tyrion to help build Pod's confidence, showed just what a likeable and precious young man he really is. I like both BookPod and TVPod.

In relation to the title, I do think it will also show why and how Brienne will eventually like and trust Pod and try to help him, in comparison to her mistrust of all others she'll meet on the road. It was just also a way to show how, I think, older people who do notice Pod and give him a chance, do take him under their wing.

Yeah, the tv scene served up the share of nudity, but I didn't see a problem with it. It did add to the basic feeling of Tyrion and Pod responding to each other personally. Just like in the books, Tyrion boosted Pod's belief in himself and his abilities with the naming of the Dornish Banners, the tv show had Tyrion show Pod personal appreciation, not just a reward. I did LOVE how the girls right away were saying "He's handsome, you didn't tell us, he was handsome." As a female, I have to say......if Tyrion really did pay the girls on the side, they did a damn good JOB, LOL, of faking their honest interest.

I do think it served to quickly show some personal feeling between Pod and Tyrion, along with illustrating.....Podrick, both versions, is just PRECIOUS!!

The OP is a well thought out way to look at it. There are so many differences from book to screen, and I actually thought this was a cute difference, for a change. The LittleFinger Dance Parties and Gratuitous Breast Interludes are NOT always so cute and full of meaning. I thought this one was.

I don't want to sound as a wishful thinker, but that plot may be developed even AFTER episode four! Although I seriously doubt it.

MAYBE. Although I highly doubt it. Either way, that's what Ran said. :dunno:

But to be honest I don't like this subplot, and I cannot come with an explanation that would make sense to me.

1. Pod is just really that good. Like the OP said, why would the whores refuse the money? Specially, why would Littlefinger's whores refuse the money? When he threatened Ros to sell her to a rich men who would "transform" her just for crying and making him lose money.

2. Littlefinger owes a debt to Tyrion. In the show we have seen how greedy Littlefinger is, and how Tyrion doesn't save money. So why wouldn't Littlefinger take Tyrion's money? Besides, Littlefinger owes Tyrion nothing. You may say is because Tyrion rescued Ros, but it was Tyrion's fault in the first place. Also, he didn't release her. She was freed in episode 10 while Tyrion was in bed and hadn't gone out of his room because of his wounds. It wasn't thanks to Tyrion.

3. Tyrion paid the whores in advance. Poor Pod, he is just being build up for disappointment. How would he feel when he fucks a whore again and she wants her money and tells him that he is just as good as any other man, or even worse? And who is gonna pay for all his whoring? Tyrion won't do it forever. Would he?

No matter how people explain this to me, it just makes no sense IMO.

Just thought I would reemphasize Ran's spoilers:

In episode 4 it is made clear that no one paid the whores. Pod is a sex god that made these women forget their own interests and gladly put themselves in danger from Littlefinger. That is the end of the joke.

I didn't have a chance to see the episode until last evening and based on the comments I expected some kind of extreme level of nudity. Not so. I think we have time to spend on the story of minor characters.

I also really like your analysis and I think it will work well with Pd getting the confidence to abandon KL and look or Brienne and then convince her he wants to help

Archived