Darkstar theories

Dunk tha Lunk

Balon Swann is gonna make light work of Darkstar...No fuss, he'll just turn up at the end of 'Winds' with Mycella, and someone will ask him where hes been and he'll casually tell them that he took care of that Darkstar character, rescused the Princess, killed a few sand snakes, what's next?

(No idea where I got this idea of Balon Swann being such a badass, but I really believe it!)

• 6 months later...

Balon Swann is gonna make light work of Darkstar...No fuss, he'll just turn up at the end of 'Winds' with Mycella, and someone will ask him where hes been and he'll casually tell them that he took care of that Darkstar character, rescused the Princess, killed a few sand snakes, what's next?

(No idea where I got this idea of Balon Swann being such a badass, but I really believe it!)

Well, he's being described as "....young, brave, courteous and a skilled fighter. He is good with a lance, better with a morningstar and exceptional with a bow."

EDIT: He's not as good as Areo Hotah, though. He's a BAMF!

I know we were given a really bad first look at Darkstar but as a Dayne, given the history of Arthur and his prowess as a swordsman and being the last to hold the Title SoTM, I hope Darkstar doesn't turn out to be totally lame.

One thing I can see as him influencing, is the Lannister relationship with Dorne. It was a great move by Tyrion. However, now it appears Dorne is going to be a bit soured by how Quentyn was roasted by a Dragon, but then you also have a member of one of the more prestigious houses in Dorne maiming a young/helpless princess. These two could 'offset' each other if cooler heads prevail but I think they won't.

I'm thinking that Dany will want Dorne especially under advisement from Tyrion as an Ally. Dorne may resist still feeling the pain over the loss of Oberyn and Quentyn, they're probably not going to be in a very good mood. But that still leaves the question, who does Dorne ally with? Aegon initially, I'm almost certain of it. Doran will feel it's a good move because Dany is forever stalling in Essos and Aegon has already started a campaign on Westeros. Given his geographical location it makes sense for Dorne to shore up the southern/southwestern region of Westeros while he makes his way east/north and of course to the IT.

So where does Darkstar fit in with all of this? Well at present he's put a serious strain on the alliance of Dorne with the IT and House Lannister and their allies, but Cersei may opt to put aside her personal outrage over it, at least publically. This gives us some nice political intrigue for the interim. So that leaves Darkstar just being a lone nut-job? Could be. I have some doubts. I think Balon is going to get more than he bargained for. But I'm still not getting what Darkstar's actual significance is going to be. Does he have something to do with trying to ascertain Dawn, out of a selfish/greed/ sense of right because he's a Dayne? I think his part is going to be bigger than simply trying to start a war by killing (trying to) Myrcella. I hope so anyway otherwise, any old chump would've served for that purpose alone.

If Douchestar is working for someone, it has to be Varys/IIIlyrio: by killing Myrcella, DS would've had

A ) killed a valuable heir to the IT that Dorne could have used, thus limiting their options

B ) set the Lannisters against Dorne, thus forcing Dorne to turn to Aegon to protect themselves

C ) damaged the already fragile Lannister-Tyrell-Martell alliance

If DS is just a nutjob looking for war, then he should have let Arianne's plan run its course (since she also wanted war) instead of ruining it, so I don't think that's his motivation

And I don't think he's working for Doran either because killing Myrcella would have been an incredibly stupid move by Doran's part

If DS is just a nutjob looking for war, then he should have let Arianne's plan run its course (since she also wanted war) instead of ruining it, so I don't think that's his motivation

And I don't think he's working for Doran either because killing Myrcella would have been an incredibly stupid move by Doran's part

But Arriane's plan had already failed. Darkstar was doing what he could to make sure Arriane still got the result she wanted: War.

He is not working for Doran, nor anyone but himself most likely.

He is not: Rheagar, Arthur Dayne, nor the real Aegon. I think he will turn out to be a BAMF. Too much emphasis is put on his "of the night" line... and the swipe at Myrcella was a desperate last action before fleeing from crossbowmen and mounted soldiers. Myrcella got lucky there. I also think he will wield Dawn (for a little while at least). I don't think Balon can take him in a fair fight. Balon and Hotah though... might prove too much.

Fingers crossed that Cersei escapes her trial and brings Darkstar to court as Tommen's new master at arms.

Yeah he sounds like a weapon, Arthur Dayne was said to be killed at the TOJ but no-ones around to confirm it.

Howland Reed is the lone survivor (assuming he is actually alive). And, since he played an instrumental part in Arthur Dayne's death (per Ned) he should be able fill in that detail.

...While he finally settles R+L=J. I would give $5 to finally meet this guy.

Has anyone considered that Darkstar could be the child of Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne? Feasibly, he could have left the child at High Hermitage because he would pass near it on his way back north to Winterfell.

I think this is a huge possibility if you all follow the R+L=J theory. He only went to Starfall after Arthur's death to return the Sword of the Morning to the Daynes of Starfall. Ashara has already given birth to her and Ned's child, and is possibly frail, so she dies from grief after 1) being told that her brother is dead and all the other deaths (she was close to Elia and Rhaegar) 2) being told that she can't be with Ned because he is promised to Catelyn Tully 3) being told that he can't be a father to their child because he promised his dying sister to protect and take care of her son (a Targaryen heir). The honorable Ned would stick to his guns about protecting his sister's child, and possibly wouldn't know about his child with Ashara until arriving in Starfall. The honorable Ned couldn't take TWO bastards home (I mean we saw how Catelyn was about one), and in sequential order, he promised Lyanna first. So after Ashara's death, he leaves the child with her family in High Hermitage.

Also, Darkstar is suspiciously similar to Stark, and the dark streak in his hair could be from his Stark lineage. Also, people could say that age is an issue, but I don't recall his age being explicitly mentioned in the books. However, I do know that Arianne considered him a peer, and we know that she's 22. He could easily be around Robb's age (Hell, people in Westeros seem to be older than they truly are). I know this is reaching. It just randomly came to me.

Edit: "Darkstar" = GRRM telling us "Dayne-Stark" I also don't think that Darkstar would be aware of his true lineage, but I'm not sure why it would be kept from him. This is so crackpot lol

Archived