What do people think of Locke? [book spoilers]

I'm not a Vargo fan (and I'm surprised they exist), but I still think Locke has been a pretty poor substitute so far.

Jaime would be very aggravating to have around, but that seems like a pretty flimsy reason for mutilating a valuable hostage. Vargo at least had a political reason for the hand-lopping.

Locke is OK. He is stupider than Hoat though as chopping off Jaime's hand yet letting him (and Brienne) live has put him in a middle ground where the Starks will want to kill him. the Lannisters will want to kill him, and Bolton will have no choice but to hang him for one of them to tear apart, I am quite looking forward to Jaime and Roose's chat ;)

Locke is a patriot. A staunch North loyalist who would rather die than having the North under the Iron Throne again. He realizes the truth in Jaime's words and thinks Roose Bolton would release Jaime and thus, betray the North.

So he cuts Jaime's hand to keep his lord in place. How about that?

The northerners are being portrayed rather cruel this season, though, probably because we haven't seen Lannister cruelty yet in this season

I think he is brilliant. More human, I would say. A lowborn with a very obvious hatred to the highborn who think less of him. Also, I think the unpredictability of his character, and his willingness to carry out the dirty work himself, makes him a tad more sinister than Vargo, who was pretty much a cartoonish villain.

Although, I do wonder if he will bite the dist this season, and if so, how?

I think he is brilliant. More human, I would say. A lowborn with a very obvious hatred to the highborn who think less of him. Also, I think the unpredictability of his character, and his willingness to carry out the dirty work himself, makes him a tad more sinister than Vargo, who was pretty much a cartoonish villain.

Although, I do wonder if he will bite the dist this season, and if so, how?

He will. there is no way Bolton can deal with Tywin unless he also hands in the man who cut off Tywin's son's hand

Hoat turned coat in the book. He started on Lannisters side and moved to Bolton. That is overly cornfusing for the TV fans. Better to have someone from Bolton to keep people's heads from spinning too much.

I like Locke so far, but then again I really like Noah Taylor so I guess it's blind bias. But I thought he fills the role ok. Vargo was funny on paper but it would be hard to translate to screen without looking completely stupid.

I actually liked him. Was very dissappointed they changed the name and all that but in the 5 minutes he's been on camera he's been good. It was good how he ripped Jaime for bringing daddy up whenever he's in trouble and then punished him.

Also...the actor kinda talks like Ben Mendelsohn, who I think would've nailed the role as Vargo.

I don't care for him.. don't like or dislike him. He will be a foregettable character to me. I understand some people did not like Vargo Hoat's lipsing, but I thought it was hilarious. Especially since there isn't that much comedy in the series. I was so looking forward to "Kingthlayer! You are my captith!" I just don't understand DD's reasoning behind changing such a distinct character.

Archived