What do people think of Locke? [book spoilers]

I like him, he has a nice restrained sense of menace going, I never really liked Vargo's character too much to begin with, but the Brave Companions as a motley collection of sellswords from all over the world would have been a nice inclusion.

I don't understand what this "has no personality means". How does he not? In a few scenes he pretty much proved exactly what he's made of and where he stands, and the actor conveyed it very well, too.

He's a more serious version of Vargo. The lisp was hilarious and effective, as it was so ironic that Jaime would be defeated by a bloke who can't even pronounce properly, but Locke fills the exact same role.

I like him. He's well acted and the change makes sense as it puts focus on House Bolton rather than spending even more time introducing a sellsword company that has no long term importance.

I'm not a Vargo fan (and I'm surprised they exist), but I still think Locke has been a pretty poor substitute so far.

Jaime would be very aggravating to have around, but that seems like a pretty flimsy reason for mutilating a valuable hostage. Vargo at least had a political reason for the hand-lopping.

What makes you draw the conclusion that Locke has flimsy reasons? He's a northerner and quite a lot of the northerners wanted to execute Jaime when he was their prisoner as quite a lot of people had died by his hand or his command. Locke can actually have hatred for Jaime and the Lannisters.

Locke is important to establish the Boltons as players in the story, you have Locke with Jaime, Roose with Robb, and "Boy" with Theon.

TV viewers wouldn't undertand the whole Vargo Hoat thing, he was a minor and unimportant disposable book character with a complex loyalty switch, so this works better with what they are trying to do, establish House Bolton for later and more terrible things to come.

TV Viewers are thinking the "northmen" are taking some payback on a Lannister, just like "boy" and theon, they are not sure about these guys and are guessing, its misdirection to create a suprise when the horrible truth about the Boltons comes out, lol.

Locke is the man. 10x better then Vargo. He is 100% loyal to the king in the north. And Jaime was trying to be sly and thought Locke was dumb and Locke knew it. He also loathed Jaime crying about "my father" so I gotta say Locke is one of my new favorites. He's definitely going to bite it though, you won't escape the wrath of cutting off Jaimes hand a la Vargo. ( though the person who actually cut off Jaimes hand in the books is still alive though )

no "thapphireth", YOU'RE DEAD TO ME D&D

Really though Locke's fine, it's not like Vargo Hoat was a particularly ~deep and compelling character~. He's menacing and has a sick fuck sense of humor, just like Hoat. There's not much more to it. The "saga" of Harrenhall/the Brave Companions was interesting in the books but it's waaayy too convoluted to really bring to the screen, it makes sense that they'd turn them into Bolton men.

Archived