[Book and TV spoilers] Jaime.....

DarkSnow

Does anyone think they will include the scene between Brienne and Jamie in the bath, which is kind of an early glimpse of his redemption as a character in the books (and hopefully the TV show)?

He expresses some pretty somber, pitiful and deep thoughts in this part of the series.

Also, seeing big Brienne's nakedness would be intense.

So who cut off Jaime's hand was it the Bolton men or the Brave companions (Bloody mummers) because that changes the Bolton and Lannister relationship. Bolton doesn't want Jaime in the books because of Tywins Wrath right?

They have deleted the Bloody Mummers. So many new characters already for viewers to get their heads around, and we already have the Brotherhood without Banners in Season 3 (having both BWB and BMs would be far too confusing on screen). So Vargo Hoat has become Locke, a minor / renegade bannerman of Roose Bolton, and that streamlines and simplifies things nicely. Roose himself can still be plotting with Tywin as in the books (which Hoat/Locke doesn't know about), and therefore Roose can still be shocked/angry that Locke has removed Jaime's hand, because it's not going to make Tywin very happy. That was exactly the point of the Jaime / Roose dinner conversation at Harrenhal, when Jaime promises that if Roose sets him free to go on to KL, he (Jaime) will assure Tywin that Roose was not responsible for chopping off Jaime's hand.

Of course, handless Jaime is going to present ongoing issues for the producers (and Nikolaj!). He'll probably have to wear a special glove and keep his fingers clenched into a light fist as a 'stump', and also they may have to subtly adjust his sleeve length on that side so his arm 'looks' shorter. Otherwise, they are going to be doing regular touch-ups and special effects to 'adjust' his hand every time Jaime is on-screen!

They could get away with Tyrion just being scarred and not noseless, avoiding the need for heavy makeup, but they can't get away with Jaime not being handless :)

Of course, handless Jaime is going to present ongoing issues for the producers (and Nikolaj!). He'll probably have to wear a special glove and keep his fingers clenched into a light fist as a 'stump', and also they may have to subtly adjust his sleeve length on that side so his arm 'looks' shorter. Otherwise, they are going to be doing regular touch-ups and special effects to 'adjust' his hand every time Jaime is on-screen!

They could get away with Tyrion just being scarred and not noseless, avoiding the need for heavy makeup, but they can't get away with Jaime not being handless :)

all they need is a few episodes to fill that up. after that all they need is a goldcolored, nonmoving glove....

They have deleted the Bloody Mummers. So many new characters already for viewers to get their heads around, and we already have the Brotherhood without Banners in Season 3 (having both BWB and BMs would be far too confusing on screen). So Vargo Hoat has become Locke, a minor / renegade bannerman of Roose Bolton, and that streamlines and simplifies things nicely. Roose himself can still be plotting with Tywin as in the books (which Hoat/Locke doesn't know about), and therefore Roose can still be shocked/angry that Locke has removed Jaime's hand, because it's not going to make Tywin very happy. That was exactly the point of the Jaime / Roose dinner conversation at Harrenhal, when Jaime promises that if Roose sets him free to go on to KL, he (Jaime) will assure Tywin that Roose was not responsible for chopping off Jaime's hand.

Yeah ok that makes sense to me know, before i thought that they were Bolton men but thought it would but Roose in a bad situation

all they need is a few episodes to fill that up. after that all they need is a goldcolored, nonmoving glove....

Given how they minimized Tyrions damage, it will be interesting to see how they do handle it though. Similar to Davos only having nubs for fingers, I hope they more go the route of a few displays but then basically handle it by hiding the hand instead of extra long cuffs, etc.

In the books it was Vargo Hoat who had already turned coat from following the Lannisters at Harrenhal as part of the Companions. By the time he got a hand from Jaime he was on Bolton's payroll. I imagine the GoT rulers thought that would cornfuse too many people so Locke was introduced.

Yeah ok that makes sense to me know, before i thought that they were Bolton men but thought it would but Roose in a bad situation

Yes, it's only an 'issue' in the sense that the writers need to address it in the way that they write the return to Harrenhal, and the Roose / Jaime scene(s) there, assuming they are following the book and will have that dinner where the two of them are playing verbal diplomatic games. But it's in no way a 'showstopper' or insurmountable, and it's not going to lead to huge plot inconsistencies. It's the sort of thing that would naturally flow out of story adjustments once they made the decision to change Vargo Hoat to Locke, so I'm really not worried.

Yes, a rigid golden glove would probably be the way to go. In the books he doesn't wear it all the time, but it would make life a lot easier for NCW as well as the producers if they just gave him the glove. Well, Jaime did have ironic thoughts of being 'Goldenhand the Just' :D

Well, Jaime did have ironic thoughts of being 'Goldenhand the Just' :D

Heh.

I'm just interested to see how they play out the Harrenhal endgame with Locke. He's not Hoat, so he could avoid Hoat's fate and potentially be an ongoing character. I halfway wonder if they'll use him in place of the Brave Companions that survived the Mountain in the books, as they're doing so much character consolidating on the show. Anyway, I think the whole Locke storyline is a very intriguing change.

Archived