[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] The symbol of the Others?

naik2902

we saw two different signs made by white walkers from dead bodies so far. one was in pilot episode and now at the fist of the first men.

what does those signs indicate ?? i think the others have their own sigil .

I live in England so I haven't seen the new episode yet (it's on tonight) but in the pilot episode the symbol made out of the dead Wildlings means a change in seasons. So that would be the foreshadowing of Winter coming by The Others.

I think the only logical reason for the symbols is it will eventually be shown as a short cut to explain something about the others--the book will have a longer explanation, but we are only so far into what we know about the others, so we can't see it yet.

I mean I get that's it's possible it is plain old artistic license, but that would bug me, where I understand the reason for needing shortcuts.

Edit: Made a full album instead, easier to browse. Minor spoilers from 1 and 3 season.

http://imgur.com/a/ly3Wh

As these corpse arrangments is a recurring theme it is fair to assume that the producers puts some meaning into it. The most obvious reason is that they want to show that the Others actually are an intelligent species, which would not be entirely clear otherwise. But, is there more to it?

Well, a striking similarity is that both arrangements are connected to the universe.

Are they trying to indicate that the Others have some form of connection to the universe? That they are creatures of another world or such?

The interesting inclusion of these symbols reminded me of another time the showrunners decided to include interesting designs not mentioned in the books: when Quaith paints that spiral thing on the sailor to protect him from when crossing Valaryia. Maybe there is a connection between the Others and the Doom (I'm guessing Astronomical/Astrological) which GRRM hasnt told us yet but D & D know.

The interesting inclusion of these symbols reminded me of another time the showrunners decided to include interesting designs not mentioned in the books: when Quaith paints that spiral thing on the sailor to protect him from when crossing Valaryia. Maybe there is a connection between the Others and the Doom (I'm guessing Astronomical/Astrological) which GRRM hasnt told us yet but D & D know.

Was it a spiral? I thought it was a circle surrounded by triangles.

Well, I completely missed the symbol in the prologue which opened the series, although I thought the one last night was absolutely stunning. That makes two episodes I need to go back and watch tonight. How interesting if the While Walkers do have their own sigil. And so I guess the wights would be their sellswords? LOL

But as to the thread...It has "book and tv spoilers" right there in the title of the thread, and it is listed in the forum under Season 3, E03, "Walk of Punishment"...so why the objections to it ("thanks for the spoiler" posted above) or (this is book thread, that belongs in TV thread). I'm confused...

It looked like a Golden Spiral to me - The Divine Proportion. Then we had Craster talking about belonging to the true gods. Is the show trying to tell us that the Others are the Old Gods??????

Any heretics around that can expand on this idea?

I think the Others/Whitewalkers use of symbolism is used to reiterate to TV viewers that they are very different from their horde of mindless wights and show a certain degree of motivation and emotion. Similar to our own use of symbolism, I suspect its usage has a strong tie to the god(s) they worship. I also think that Craster's comments help support this.

[start brain dump]

The celestial theme could mean anything and/or everything at this point. Afterall, D&D have the inside scoop where this story is heading. Ice is akin to cold dark lifeless space. Fire represents the sun/stars, light, and life. Maybe they're just analogies at this point. Maybe they embody the very gods in this timeless battle of the cosmos.

[/ end brain dump]

Archived