[Book Spoilers] Mel finds Gendry

Tourniquet

I always have a hard time catching everything they show in the previews - seems to all move so fast. But, from the scene last night with Mel and Stannis (and speculation on the forum that Gendry will serve as a 'substitute' for Edric Storm), I assume she's going after Gendry. Seems like there was one exchange in the preview where Mel and Thoros were talking, and that must be about Gendry. In the book, though, Davos spirits Edric away, and since he's in the dungeons on Dragonstone now, I don't know how Gendry will be 'saved', but I'm feel sure he will be. Wonder if, after the 'disappointing' (to say the least) exchange with Mel in last night's episode, Stannis will go back and let Davos out, wanting his old friend for counsel since Mel has 'abandoned' him.

And, the other talk about Stannis wanting a son (I guess that came up in another thread) is definitely, IMHO, all about his wanting another shadow baby. That's power for him, and right now he doesn't have any himself [his "fire is burning low"].

In the book, though, Davos spirits Edric away, and since he's in the dungeons on Dragonstone now, I don't know how Gendry will be 'saved', but I'm feel sure he will be.

Davos saves Edric AFTER he was released from the dungeons. He was put in there because he wanted to kill Mel (she saw that in the flames), not because of Edric. So I assume this thing will work out just like the book, except Gendry will substitute Edric

If they removed Edric Storm completely from the picture, maybe we'll see other changes as well.

Maybe Stannis will take Gendry to the Wall so he can meet Jon and tell him about Arya.

Since he probably can't read/write, Gendry can learn at the same time as Davos. Davos will start to like Gendry, and probably take him under his protection...two tickets for Skagos, please!

Ahhh, a man can dream.

If they removed Edric Storm completely from the picture, maybe we'll see other changes as well.

Maybe Stannis will take Gendry to the Wall so he can meet Jon and tell him about Arya.

Since he probably can't read/write, Gendry can learn at the same time as Davos. Davos will start to like Gendry, and probably take him under his protection...two tickets for Skagos, please!

Ahhh, a man can dream.

That would be cool!

Hey did anyone think about this:

Davos saves Gendry because they're both from Flea Bottom and no one deserves to be sacrificed to the flames...

so Gendry makes one appearance after Arya leaves the Brotherhood right?

Davos sends Edric away to Essos and is basically not heard from again.

Here's my "stupid dream" Davos sends Gendry away to Essos, and Gendry ends up in Braavos......

Hey did anyone think about this:

Davos saves Gendry because they're both from Flea Bottom and no one deserves to be sacrificed to the flames...

so Gendry makes one appearance after Arya leaves the Brotherhood right?

Davos sends Edric away to Essos and is basically not heard from again.

Here's my "stupid dream" Davos sends Gendry away to Essos, and Gendry ends up in Braavos......

That's possible.

I'm assuming Gendry will take the place of Edric Storm.

It's also entirely possible that Davos does not save him, and that Thoros or Beric tells Mel to go fuck herself and there is no "sacrifice to the flames" plot. I have a hard time believing the Brotherhood would turn over Gendry to Mel. Seems to go against what they stand for

Don't know how that would work as Arya uses aliases while she's there. If she had interactions with people from her past it would ruin her Faceless-men-storyline. And Gendry's not interesting enough to become a POV character on the show. Maybe he'll end up as Tyrion's "squire" when he goes to Meereen, maybe he'll join the NW or maybe he'll just remain with the BWB. Who knows.

That's possible.

I'm assuming Gendry will take the place of Edric Storm.

It's also entirely possible that Davos does not save him, and that Thoros or Beric tells Mel to go fuck herself and there is no "sacrifice to the flames" plot. I have a hard time believing the Brotherhood would turn over Gendry to Mel. Seems to go against what they stand for

If Thoros thinks Gendry is Roberts son. Wasn't Thoros friends with Robert. So id find it hard to believe he would be willing to burn Roberts son.

Depends who's higher up in the church of R'Hllor. Besides, from one still I saw it looked like the only burn Gendry is going to feel from Mel is in his loins. He'll be the father of the shadow baby that takes out Balon.

I'll be fine with the change as long as Gendry isn't killed off, but is smuggled out of Dragonstone and returned to Beric and Thoros by the end of the season. My main gripe is: would it have been that hard to cast a random child, give him two lines and introduce him as Robert's only legitimized bastard? The Mel/Gendry plot just seems to complicate things for the writers.

I've seen some speculation that the Mel+Gendry thing is mainly an excuse to have Melisandre and Thoros meet, and for Melly to learn a little more about a certain kiss? Dunno.

Gendry is pretty cool, it'll be interesting to see him doing new stuff. And apparently GRRM wrote the episode that has most of the Mel+Gendry stuff, so it could be important down the line.

I'll be fine with the change as long as Gendry isn't killed off, but is smuggled out of Dragonstone and returned to Beric and Thoros by the end of the season. My main gripe is: would it have been that hard to cast a random child, give him two lines and introduce him as Robert's only legitimized bastard? The Mel/Gendry plot just seems to complicate things for the writers.

I think perhaps they feel the audience would have more emotional investment in Gendry than a seemingly "throw away" character that has two lines then is saved.

Archived