[book spoilers] Tormund lead the climb

Tormund's safe -- he's much too essential in the books to come, plus nobody else can say "Har" quite the same way! :P

I have a feeling that we aren't getting any "Har"s out of show Tormund. He is so serious he makes Jon Snow seem upbeat.

if as they imply tormund goes instead of sigorn it means tormund dies this/next season?

it makes no sense that they introduced sigorn in the meeting with mance scene.

or are they planning some of the climbers to survive the fight of castle black?

what do you think?

Tormond is more important to the story later on, having him lead the attack gives him more to do. I don't think they'll have Tormond die either, he'll keep his story from later on, he just gets more stuff to do now.

Tormond is more important to the story later on, having him lead the attack gives him more to do. I don't think they'll have Tormond die either, he'll keep his story from later on, he just gets more stuff to do now.

but anything that he has to do later, they could just give to someone else

I have a feeling that we aren't getting any "Har"s out of show Tormund. He is so serious he makes Jon Snow seem upbeat.

He's only been in the show for about 10 minutes, and most of that time he's simply been listening to Mance.

I think people are jumping the gun on Tormund and Mance's characterisations. Sure, they seem to have a lot less charisma than in the books but that's simply because we've only had three very short scenes with these characters.

In this episode we got a little bit of classic Tormund and Mance during their conversation. You could see a bit Mance's charisma coming through and Tormund's jovial nature as well. It's only a taste but we've got 7 episodes left. Even if Mance has very little screen time this season he's going to be around for a while. There's plenty of time to develop his character down the road.

I mean, look at the Hound. He barely got anything to chew on until Blackwater. Seasons 3 and 4 will, hopefully, give the character his due. Theon and Renly were a lot better in Season 2 and Margaery in Season 3.

Give it time.

They typically don't cast re actors and give them interviews and extra content if they die after 10 minutes of screen time.

Ygritte's gonna die and she'll get about the same amount og screen time as Tormund by the time the attack on Castle Black happens.

In the book no wilding survives the southern raid on Castle Black. But that doesn't have to be the way of the TV series, as long as Ygritte dies. It would be a mistake to keep Ygritte alive. Tormund may or may not die. I'm leaning towards not and that he's a prisoner for the duration of the battle of the Wall. It actually makes the DwD stuff easier in that Jon doesn't have to go through the hassle of finding Tormund in order to get him to bring the wildlings onside after Mance's "death" by fire. This is an example of a good change for the sake of truncating a story line.

I think people are jumping the gun on Tormund and Mance's characterisations. Sure, they seem to have a lot less charisma than in the books but that's simply because we've only had three very short scenes with these characters.

yeah but were also past the point where they get most of their characterization in the book

They typically don't cast re actors and give them interviews and extra content if they die after 10 minutes of screen time.

probably true. i try to avoid spoilers like these though

Ygritte's gonna die and she'll get about the same amount og screen time as Tormund by the time the attack on Castle Black happens.

In the book no wilding survives the southern raid on Castle Black. But that doesn't have to be the way of the TV series, as long as Ygritte dies. It would be a mistake to keep Ygritte alive. Tormund may or may not die. I'm leaning towards not and that he's a prisoner for the duration of the battle of the Wall. It actually makes the DwD stuff easier in that Jon doesn't have to go through the hassle of finding Tormund in order to get him to bring the wildlings onside after Mance's "death" by fire. This is an example of a good change for the sake of truncating a story line.

Ygritte was in S2 though. She doesn't escape Jon and then 3 episodes later gets killed.

Guys, guys....calm down - Tormund isn't going to die. A couple things:

1) Notice who else was sent on the mission? Someone who was already dead in the books, and hasn't died yet? Orell "I've only lived this long to explain what a Warg is" the Eagle? HE'S gonna die. Then he's gonna spend the rest of his life as an eagle pecking at Jon's face.

2) The writers wisely do a lot of condensing - Ser Merwyn Trant is "All speaking Kingsguards," Tormund is "All non-Mance wilding leaders." And since in the books, the only wilding leader who remotely likes Jon is Tormund, and the others tolerate him at best, he is relegated to frowning a lot, which will make his trusting of Jon at the end more remarkable. Then we can have D&D show us exactly how shocking with another punk rendition of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair."

Archived