Explosions at finish line of Boston Marathon

Greywolf2375

Fucking hell.

The Boston Globe is reporting that police are about to conduct a controlled explosion over at 600 Boylston St.(dunno where that is in relation to the finish line); presumably of a discovered bomb. This was intentional.

CBS is showing video of the second explosion. It looks like it was about a block away from the first one.

They are also saying police are reporting 2 confirmed dead and 22 hurt. Those numbers are probably soft though.

We here in the Boston area (you can see the City from my house) are very focused on trying to figure out if people are okay.

We know that it happened appx 4 hours after the race started when the elite runners are gone and the "hard core" runners are heading by; it happened on the north-side of Boylston Street (I once worked a block down from there) and there were two explosions. The explosions were considered "localized" and did not appear to be accidental. There are many many many UNCONFIRMED reports that secondary devices have been found at the JFK Library and at the Mandarian Hotel. THey have cleared the area out of everyone and are looking at the blast cite itself.

Everyone I know who was down there appears to be fine. But two people are dead, 23 others injured.

CNN has an AP source stating that two secondary devices have been found. And officials are now using the term "explosive devices."

MY money is that these were bombs.

Fucking hell.

The Boston Globe is reporting that police are about to conduct a controlled explosion over at 600 Boylston St.(dunno where that is in relation to the finish line); presumably of a discovered bomb. This was intentional.

The explosion was at 671. The controlled explosion was another bomb, being reported. And apparently more bombs are being searched for - again, the Middle East model. People running away from the explosion, and other bombs would go off.

I'm leaving this alone for 3 or 4 hours.

There will be nothing but wall-to-wall speculation and time-filling jabber for most of the day. Do yourselves a favor and don't let the 24-hour newsies drive you nuts.

It will be hard, especially if you know anyone there, but nobody is going to know anything for sure until later tonight.

Yahoo news citing an anonymous federal law enforcement agent who says "hell yes" they were bombs. Supposedly at least two and possibly more bombs located around the city and being dismantled by police. I couldn't tell if these included the controlled explosion they already set off or in addition to.

What a day this is. It's chaos around here. I was in Copley Square on my way to a bookstore when this stuff happened and basically had to run home because my unit has been put on standby. I hope everyone's staying safe. I'll update you all as I get information. I know very little except that nobody's phones were working.

*News: An unexploded device has been found...

Archived