[No Spoilers] Credits Song

What the in the seven hells was that monstrosity? The song was so jarring and completely out of character for GoT that I thought the channel had been changed. Then I remembered I was watching it on my computer.

Is anyone else as pissed off about it as I am?

YES.

But some people apparently liked it, can't imagine why.

This season is playing with something some pretty well known someone (whose name I don't recall) wrote about WWII which, IIRC, is 'banalization of evil' or something along those lines. There might be someone reading this who'll correct all what I'm writing.. IE: the idea that a gestapo torturer can be seen, outside a gestapo prison, tending his garden, taking care of his kids, etc, as any next door neighbor. So if you don't know what his 'job' is, he's just an average, maybe even likable, guy.

Check Locke's band: they are introduced as jolly happy singers in this chapter, having a stroll through the woods. And, as they sing, they are planning rape, torture and mutilation, and probably done it before as well.

I think the song aims in that direction. Check this season trailer again.

Wow really? We really needed a thread to complain about THIS of all things? A song playing over a black screen with words on it? Did it take away from your reading the names of the grips on set? Jesus, you people...

I think the song aims in that direction. Check this season trailer again.

This is a good point, and a lot of the scenes this season tie into that.

It reminds me of another show of HBO's, actually... Sopranos. They were heavily influenced by the same idea. Apparently the writers took a lot of inspiration from a tapped conversation between two mobsters where they were casually disposing of (murdered) bodies while they were discussing their kids' softball game. That same dissonance was used to good effect, but I can understand how the modernity of the credits would take some people out of it.

Completely agree, thought the track was ill-fitting with the series in general and particularly with the final scene of the episode. It's a shame because I thought the National did a really good job with 'The Rains Of Castamere'.

It wasn't the modern sound of the music that was so jarring but its punky, jovial nature in immediate contrast with the quite shocking events of the scene. In fact, I think the song's spirit suited the song pretty well but it didn't sit well with the episode. If only they'd tampered with the song's intro a little perhaps.

Wow really? We really needed a thread to complain about THIS of all things? A song playing over a black screen with words on it? Did it take away from your reading the names of the grips on set? Jesus, you people...

It might seem trivial but the cut to credits is actually pretty important. Especially if the final scene of an episode is hard-hitting. I can remember sitting and feeling really affected by some final scenes and cut to credits watching The Wire, they used to nail it so well sometimes.

Just to clarify after all my negativity, I thought the episode in general was fantastic and the song didn't ruin anything for me at all. Just, as has been said, a little out of place.

I think everyone who felt it was jarring are missing the point that that was exactly the way you were supposed to feel. Sort of like Jamie losing his hand. I thought it was brilliant.

Eh, it just took me totally out of the immersive experience of Westeros and the story and reminded me I was watching a TV show produced by people at HBO in a time that punk rock exists, I doubt that was the intended effect.

Eh, it just took me totally out of the immersive experience of Westeros and the story and reminded me I was watching a TV show produced by people at HBO in a time that punk rock exists, I doubt that was the intended effect.

:thumbsup: Precisely.

The song about the bear and the maiden is very popular in Westeros. Everybody knows it, from peasants to high court nobles. I suspect it is basically a bawdy song.

In episode 3.3, I realized that is actually a marching song, roared out tunelessly.

Absolutely loved it!

The song fit perfectly following that scene IMO. Obviously if that version had been used during the show it would've been ridiculous, but i couldn't think of a better way to follow that final scene. Kudos to whoever thought it up! :)

I totally understand the immersive experience of watching GOT. But once the Credits start running, and you are looking at the names of actors and executive producers and the members of the "Dragon" Special Effects team, and Lena Headey's stunt double; you are no longer immersed in westeros. The song rocked.

Archived