[Possible Spoliers] The Improvement of show Dany

Mulled Wino

Dany the Conqueror is the best Dany by far. Let's just focus on how amazing this season is going to be and... not think about Meereen. (but I do think they've learned from their S2 writing and they'll be able to spruce up Meereen)

Missandei seems promising as a sidekick, too. It's a shame Irri and Jhiqui not being around means omitting one of the best exchanges in Dany's story:

"It is known."

"It is not known!"

I'm the only one that likes Kit, aren't I? :P

(And not just because he's lovely to look at)

I like Kit as Jon just fine. I think he get criticized unfairly. To me he is pretty close to book Jon. People that expected some charismatic type character on the show are fooling themselves, that is not how book Jon is written.

I like Kit as Jon just fine. I think he get criticized unfairly. To me he is pretty close to book Jon. People that expected some charismatic type character on the show are fooling themselves, that is not how book Jon is written.

I also think Kit's very good and unfairly criticized. My brother, who hasn't read the books, thinks Jon's the best character, and my non-book reader friends like him quite a bit too,

The thing is, Jon's an extremely internal character. He's not a charismatic man by any means, nor should he be, but reading his inner-commentary on events is truly fascinating, which makes him a better character than he seems to be in the show. He doesn't have nearly enough screentime because of their choice in location* and his true character doesn't really come across. It's nothing against Kit because I feel like Jon is a very slow-building character who doesn't really come into his own until ADwD anyway - if that gets pulled off, it'll all be fine.

*I explained why I think filming in Iceland is detrimental in this thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/85021-book-spoilers-farewell-mance/

They've reduced Tyrion to some sort of comedy relief in King's Landing, yucking it up with Bronn over irrelevant matters.

Not quite. While the scene with Pod may have been goofy, we were also introduced to the iron Bank of Braavos, which will have huge relevance later on.

Jon/kit's problem isnt lack of charisma. That's mance/tormund. His problems start at 1) way too needy 2) indecisive 3) consistently disrespected 4) no ghost. For starters.

Some of this is problems with the writing, some is problems with the actor. Kit said himself that Book Jon was stupid and had no foresight, those are qualities he tries to bring out in his portrayal. Jon is not stupid and does consider ramifications of his actions.

I thought Kit had gotten better. His lines in the tent with Mance Rayder were well delivered imo

I agree :)

Well Jon's season 2 story line was the second most butchered behind Dany's in season 2. Dany has been much better this season. Jon has improved as well, though part of that is just giving him minimal dialogue. I don't really blame the actor though, the story line was a pretty poor adaptation that makes him look like a bumbling idiot who lucks into the right situations rather than a hero who will become commander of the Nights Watch. Likewise there wasn't much any actress could do with dialogue from season 2 that included Dany asking to be let into Qarth so her people won't starve, and THEN threatening to come back after her dragons had grown and burn the city to the ground when she was refused entry. Good luck doing that after starving to death...

Well Jon's season 2 story line was the second most butchered behind Dany's in season 2. Dany has been much better this season. Jon has improved as well, though part of that is just giving him minimal dialogue. I don't really blame the actor though, the story line was a pretty poor adaptation that makes him look like a bumbling idiot who lucks into the right situations rather than a hero who will become commander of the Nights Watch. Likewise there wasn't much any actress could do with dialogue from season 2 that included Dany asking to be let into Qarth so her people won't starve, and THEN threatening to come back after her dragons had grown and burn the city to the ground when she was refused entry. Good luck doing that after starving to death...

"Who stole the 3 most valuable items in the world from me?!?!?!??!!"

"I did, let me give you my address to come pick them up, twas just for shits and giggles"

Likewise there wasn't much any actress could do with dialogue from season 2 that included Dany asking to be let into Qarth so her people won't starve, and THEN threatening to come back after her dragons had grown and burn the city to the ground when she was refused entry. Good luck doing that after starving to death...

To be fair, the Spice King did point out the stupidity of that statement. Dany was also pretty desperate at that point.

That was some of the better dialog during her season 2 storyline. The endless "I had nothing, truly, nothing" and "I will not marry you" discussions were much worse.

They seem to be avoiding that sort of thing this season. The Jorah-Barristan-Dany dialog last episode was excellent.

Really Dany isn't so stupid that anyone should have to point it out to her. That being some of the better dialogue just shows how bad the writing was for her in season 2 and it would be tough for any actress to do much with those types of lines.

Really Dany isn't so stupid that anyone should have to point it out to her. That being some of the better dialogue just shows how bad the writing was for her in season 2 and it would be tough for any actress to do much with those types of lines.

Dave and Dan had their hands full S2 with cramming CoK into ten hours, I guess they just gave up on the Dany chapters, it sure seemed their attention was elsewhere....setting up Blackwater must have been a chore.

It's almost as if they instructed the filming crew to do only a minimal number of takes , because even some of the bad dialog could have been delivered better in more takes.

Archived