[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

I don't know how to make a poll (they're probably disabled for non-mods? maybe a mod or admin can edit this post to make a poll) but I'd like to see what's the general opinion regarding the pop rock song for the end credits. Yay or nay?

Personally, I thought it was a terrible decision. I really liked the episode overall (and I'm one of "those purists") and thought it was the best of the season, but that song nearly ruined the last scene for me, it turned a powerful dramatic scene into a joke. I did read D&D's so-called "justification" for it, and it didn't change my mind at all. It didn't help that the song really, really sucked, too.

I'm curious to see how many agree and disagree.

The song really worked for me.

The scene before is a shock, and then, when you think you can be relieved because the closing titles starts rolling... you get this song, which is, kindda "unwordly" for Westeros. It's weird, so the whole ending of the episode is shocking and weird and I loved it !

My first thought: "What the hell ... was the radio just turned on?" and I forgot all about Jamie.

And I believe my initial reaction is what counts here.

A non-reading friend sent med a text message a couple of hours ago: "GoT! What the hell happened with the music at the end?"

It was like being slapped in the face with cold water and reminded "HEY, you are watching TV...there is no worldbuilding or immersion in the experience going on here...because, see, we're throwing in a punk rock song to remind you that you're sitting on your couch in 2013".

Loved it. Thought the whole scene was done perfectly, and the cut the credits was fantastic. It was such a troll you half expected the credits font to be Comic Sans with a looping Snoop Dogg gif in the background.

I can see why some people wouldn't like it though. It was very, very, jarring, but it just happened to work for me.

I paused it right after Jaime's scream ended so I only really got the first note of the song. I was like "Oh they did this with the Blackwater episode, no big deal I guess." But then I saw all the discussion about it so I rewatched the scene and let the closing credits play. I gotta say I'm not a fan, personally.

I like the idea of them doing different things for the end credits, and them incorporating songs from the books in ways we don't expect. I think that's all very neat and fun. I understand it wasn't supposed to fit, and that's their prerogative as showrunners. But I didn't really like it. I felt like it detracted from what is a big moment for Jaime. The normal closing music works so well after big moments like Ned's beheading or Dany's dragons being born, things like that, and it is noninvasive and lets you reflect over what you just saw. This took you out of it and I didn't find it to benefit the episode.

Now, if it had been haunting and quiet like The Rains of Castamere after Blackwater, that would have been something else entirely.

I hated that shit so hard, I thought I was fully immersed in watching a high-fantasy series but the credits song proved me otherwise.

I mean, the song would have fine if it had been used in a TV series setting where it had fitted in, GoT is a such an immersive fantasy that takes me from the current world and that song just broke that.

I'm a Jaime hater so I thought it was awesome. I think the build up and surprise, especially for non-readers, was great. So they were like "what the hell?" when his hand gets chopped, and then they hear the upbeat song that makes it ever more hilarious. I'm assuming most nonreading viewers hate Jaime still, so that's why I loved it.

I LOVED it even though it just about jarred me right up through the ceiling. So powerful - the juxtaposition to what had just happened to Jaime was a real 'call to arms' about what war (and the bloody mummers, Vargo Hoat, the Dreadfort crew, et.al.) is really like. Genius - brilliant!

I quite liked it, although I knew it was coming in advance from these forums.

Also, bloody sky tv always interrupt the credits with an advert for another show, so I was sucked out of it pretty quickly anyway.

If they do that after the RW I'll be PISSED

If they've done it for every episode, they will do it for every episode to come, I'd imagine.

Turn off the TV as fast as you can and drown in your sorrow before the ad strikes? Gods know after we see the RW, I will be out of commission and will not accept interaction from anyone-- in the form of commercials or in person.

Archived