[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

I think everyone who felt it was jarring are missing the point that that was exactly the way you were supposed to feel. Sort of like Jamie losing his hand. I thought it was brilliant.

Believe me, I am not missing the point, I know exactly what they were trying to do, I happen to vehemently disagree that it was an appropriate choice to throw in a modern song into a fantasy series.

What next? Are the characters going to start turning to face the TV audience and talk to us directly to tear down the fourth wall, because that, too, would be edgy? Or maybe they could have modern dream sequences as well, why not, that would be jarring and create more dissonance in the audience?

I thought it was great. At this point, a lot of viewers don't like Jamie. They might feel like he got what he deserved. Having somber credits might seem like we are all supposed to feel sorry for him in the same way that we felt sad after Ned, or after hundreds of people died in the Blackwater. The song was appropriate. He was being arrogant, then WHAM! Don't forget, not that long ago, he threw Bran out a window, then killed all Ned Stark's people.

The upbeat song afterward was sarcastic.. it was tongue in cheek for all those people out there that went... "What? Holy Sh*t!" then cracked up.

Of course, being a book reader, my feelings on Jamie are... complex... but in this point in the story.. absolutely.

Believe me, I am not missing the point, I know exactly what they were trying to do, I happen to vehemently disagree that it was an appropriate choice to throw in a modern song into a fantasy series.

What next? Are the characters going to start turning to face the TV audience and talk to us directly to tear down the fourth wall, because that, too, would be edgy? Or maybe they could have modern dream sequences as well, why not, that would be jarring and create more dissonance in the audience?

"Modern Song"? Its the Bear and the Maiden Fair.

And if they remain faithful to the book, there will be dream sequences coming up shortly.

I'm usually pretty forgiving about things on the show that most book readers get upset about. I just don't let things bother me too much as I take the show as it is. But the song at the end of this episode I absolutely hated it it yanked me right out of the mood of the scene and pretty much ruined one of the best moments of the show so far.

I think everyone who felt it was jarring are missing the point that that was exactly the way you were supposed to feel. Sort of like Jamie losing his hand. I thought it was brilliant.

What even. I think most of us understand why the creators did it. If we think it's jarring and don't like it, that doesn't mean we missed the point. And we aren't supposed to feel anything. We are supposed to watch the show and decide for ourselves what we like or don't like. Why generalize it like that and insinuate that we are watching the show incorrectly?

Actually, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau acting took me out of the action. Waiting to scream until he realized he got his hand chopped off worked as a WTF moment for me.

That bothered me too. But then my friend reminded me that sometimes when that happens, or when people break bones, your body goes into shock and you don't feel it. I knew a girl once whose arm broke during our gym class and the bone was sticking out. She didn't notice it for a second until she looked at it. So maybe it was supposed to be like that? Even if it's more "realistic" that way, I also found it strange.

Immediate reaction: "What the, did someone loop the wrong music for the end credits?"

After realising it was tBatMF as a rock cover: "Oh, it's tBatMF as a rock cover, weird but OK I guess"

My sister (a non-reader): "WTF was that shit?"

They went for something (I don't know what) with that ending music, but I think it missed the mark for most people. So a bit of a mis-step if you're going to put weight on the majority view.

I personally loved it. Can't really blame anyone who didn't like it, but I feel it did what D&D wanted it to, which was to project the jarring nature of the scene onto the audience...I think this worked for most of the non-reader audience, and the fact that it seems to be almost a fifty-fifty split between book readers is a win for D&D.

I wouldn't worry about it if you didn't like it though, as I'm certain it's not a slippery slope to bieber-izing the end credits from here on out. The writers have taken great care to be as true as possible to the books and make a great series, so i dont think theyd randomly mess something like this without a clear reason. As they said, it was a clear and purposful device, not some arbitrary stunt that they'll be repeating...As show-Stannis would say, "They've played their little trick. They can only play it once."

Also, I haven't heard this yet, and maybe it's just me..But the show is only going to get more gruesome from here on out. And eventhough it's HBO, they still might be trying to tame some of the violence where they can as not to put off people too much....But thats just speculation really.

That bothered me too. But then my friend reminded me that sometimes when that happens, or when people break bones, your body goes into shock and you don't feel it. I knew a girl once whose arm broke during our gym class and the bone was sticking out. She didn't notice it for a second until she looked at it. So maybe it was supposed to be like that? Even if it's more "realistic" that way, I also found it strange.

It was the lack of arterial blod spurting all over the place that I found wrong about that scene, it needed that Monty Python touch. The acting was fine.

I didn't really care for it. The team spends so much time, effort, and money into creating this seamless world you can fall into every week and in the span of one eighth note, they instantly ripped me out of it.. The credits are such a good time to wind down, 'decompress' maybe. I agree with whoever said above, why couldn't they have just used the version from the episode? I thought that was great.

Also, someone said it above "it made me forget about Jamie." A friend of mine said that as well. You can not like the song, the style, whatever. And it's D&D's show, they can do what they want. But when you include a music cue that's so jarring it makes you forget about what is most likely one of the most transformative experiences in the life of one of your major characters... that's just poor storytelling.

That being said, I kind of like the song itself. I though it had a 'Pogues'-esque kind of lilt to it, it was fun. A good version of a medival tavern drinking song done by a current band.

Archived