[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

“It’s such a shocking ending and when we read the scene in the books it was so shocking to us,” Weiss says. “To really hammer home the shock of that moment you need something unexpected. There’s no version of a traditional score that would keep you as off balance as we wanted that scene to leaving you feeling.”

“I can’t imagine having that conversation with Ramin [Djawadi] our composer — ‘Now we need the Jaime-gets-his-hand-chopped-off music,’” adds Benioff. who made his directorial debut with this episode. “What we always loved in An American Werewolf in London, we see our hero shot and killed and then his lover runs to embrace his dead body — it’s a sad ending — but then we cut to black and it’s [the bouncy 1961 Marcell's hit] ‘Blue Moon.’ And that jarring juxtaposition was fantastic.”

I was surprised too and I think it worked well. Liked it better than the Rains of Castamere version by the National. Actually, the punk version of The Bear and the Maiden Fair reminded me of It's the End of the World by REM, at least the beginning.

I've changed my opinion on it about 50 times already.

I think a lot of people are maybe a little annoyed with it because they watched the episode in a 'creative' way and the song started playing whilst Locke was in the middle of speaking.

Didn't like it - felt it was out of sync with all previous closing music. Sounded jarring to me, too modern and just out of place in my ASoIaF world. Overall a really bad rendition and have heard better. One of the few disappoinments in an otherwise really good episode.

This proves that "It's not in the book but it sounds cool" is rarely if ever a good reasoning when adapting books to TV or movie.

Doesnt prove shit. If anything, it proves that people don't like punk rock, and are ridiculously obsessive over closing credits. The main reason this complaint occurred was that many people torrented the episode illegally, with a messed up audio sync at the end. Now tons of people are covering it up by saying that it didnt even fit in the closing credits. Closing credits are not part of the episode, its quite clearly separated from the show. There listing all the names of the production members for christsake, you have quite clearly left the show when the credits start rolling.

Honestly I barely noticed it, I've long grown completely immune to jarring end credits music from watching The West Wing way too many times (if you don't know what i am talking about, it has a really cheery and upbeat ending credits music, even though most episodes end in a completely different mood).

To my everlasting shame I must admit I don't usually watch the end credits, so I didn't knew about the song until I read about it here on the forums.

I think the producers wanted to make these credits memorable, and by the amount of controversy that song stirred here, they managed to do exactly that.

I for one will remember that the song for the credits in episode 3 of season 3 GoT was a little off for the rest of my life, a thing I can't say for any other movie/TV show I watched so far.

Archived