[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

It was a little weird, but it's not something that I honestly care about that much. I don't typically pay much attention to end credit songs. The only time I paid close attention and cared was when they used the Rains of Castamere at the end of the Blackwater episode and I do think that worked much better.

As for the song itself, I definitely preferred the in-episode version as opposed to the end-credits one. The credits version (sorry don't know who sung it) was pretty annoying and just sounded like a bunch of garbled up noise.

I didn't mind the song itself, the version was good, but I'm partial to punk.

I mind that instead of using the composer who has created fantastic, appropriate music for the series from the beginning they decided for some odd reason that in this case they couldn't imagine him doing it, and went for a cheap shock value trick instead.

David: Well, we saw this scene in a movie where a guy cuts off another guy's ear while "Stuck in the Middle with You" plays in the background...

Dan: .... and we said to ourselves, "How can WE create that kind of jarring juxtaposition????"

Yeah, they should just let Quentin Tarrantino direct all the episodes from here on out if that is the direction they want to go in.

Doesnt prove shit. If anything, it proves that people don't like punk rock, and are ridiculously obsessive over closing credits. The main reason this complaint occurred was that many people torrented the episode illegally, with a messed up audio sync at the end. Now tons of people are covering it up by saying that it didnt even fit in the closing credits. Closing credits are not part of the episode, its quite clearly separated from the show.

Actually, some of the most torrented stuff have the audio perfectly right.

And I actually tend to like rock, Clash, Pogues, Stooges and other stuff (definitely better than metal and hip hop for instance).

On the other hand, I prefer continuity, and credits definitely are part of the show. Just look at S01E09 and Ned's death, and several other key episodes ending with violence or shocking moments, where they took great care of using appropriate music.

If you're doing a late 20th/21st century show, sure, just do it, But using modern-sounding music with obviously ancient settings is a definitive no-no for me (say, using punk for a medieval setting, or having people singing We will rock you at a tourney), and is the peak of idiocy. But that's not even the issue here, the issue being that it's a very badly-chosen piece to put with what just happened before.

So - and the above quote confirms it -, my case still stands: if you want to put something in just because "it sounds cool", odds are that it won't be cool and will be either dumb or awful. Not that it seems to stop Peter Jackson from doing it again with the Hobbit trilogy, of course... (saying this as someone with a globally really positive opinion of the LOTR movies ;) )

Hated it. I thought that it was completely out of place. A modern, rebellious song could have worked, but that one didn't. Also, thought they should have maintained a few seconds of silence before going to whatever song they chose.

what justification? Is there a link??

Spoiler below for the end of season 3 episode 3

David and Dan on the credit song;

“It’s such a shocking ending and when we read the scene in the books it was so shocking to us,” Weiss says. “To really hammer home the shock of that moment you need something unexpected. There’s no version of a traditional score that would keep you as off balance as we wanted that scene to leaving you feeling.”

“I can’t imagine having that conversation with Ramin [Djawadi] our composer — ‘Now we need the Jaime-gets-his-hand-chopped-off music,’” adds Benioff. who made his directorial debut with this episode. “What we always loved in An American Werewolf in London, we see our hero shot and killed and then his lover runs to embrace his dead body — it’s a sad ending — but then we cut to black and it’s [the bouncy 1961 Marcell's hit] ‘Blue Moon.’ And that jarring juxtaposition was fantastic.”

The idea itself isn't bad, it has been done a lot, with varying degrees of success (it's actually becoming somewhat of a cliche). But it was horribly done here, in my opinion. Didn't fit the mood of the scene or the show, an came off as more of a cheap trick than a strike of creativity.

As for the song itself, I definitely preferred the in-episode version as opposed to the end-credits one. The credits version (sorry don't know who sung it) was pretty annoying and just sounded like a bunch of garbled up noise.

Agreed. As a reader I was prepared for what was to happen but that didn't lessen the horror of watching it happen and to have that terrible rendition intrude was completely jarring and took you totally out of the moment. Hopefully they won't do something similar with the RW.

Spoiler below for the end of season 3 episode 3

David and Dan on the credit song;

“It’s such a shocking ending and when we read the scene in the books it was so shocking to us,” Weiss says. “To really hammer home the shock of that moment you need something unexpected. There’s no version of a traditional score that would keep you as off balance as we wanted that scene to leaving you feeling.”

“I can’t imagine having that conversation with Ramin [Djawadi] our composer — ‘Now we need the Jaime-gets-his-hand-chopped-off music,’” adds Benioff. who made his directorial debut with this episode. “What we always loved in An American Werewolf in London, we see our hero shot and killed and then his lover runs to embrace his dead body — it’s a sad ending — but then we cut to black and it’s [the bouncy 1961 Marcell's hit] ‘Blue Moon.’ And that jarring juxtaposition was fantastic.”

Sorry, in no way can what was played at the end of the episode be compared to a classic song like 'Blue Moon'

When the song first started playing, I actually thought it was a mistake. This yanked me SO HARD out of the end scene (which I otherwise LOVED) that I didn't have time to savor what had just happened. Not a good move, in my opinion.

This is EXACTLY how I felt. I did like the version of the song I just didn't like it for that moment. Another poster on another thread mentioned it felt like the end to a Jackass movie, lol.

They should have just used the regular end credits music for that episode. Then used rock BAMF for another episode. Maybe the one titled BAMF. Or an episode that doesn't have such a shocking ending you know? I mean I saw it coming but it was still a shocking ending!

Sorry, in no way can what was played at the end of the episode be compared to a classic song like 'Blue Moon'

Also worth remembering is that An American Werewolf in London had a lot of camp moments, it was by no means a straight horror film, and was also set in a modern setting, so a long like Blue Moon fit much better with the overall tone of the movie.

So, its even stranger that D & D see some sort of parallel between that and GOT.

They wanted the jarring juxtaposition and got it, but it ruined one of the best scenes of the best episodes.

I thought that something was up with my TV originally. Personally I think they should've used the one used halfway through that episode but for all those complaining it pulled you out of the scene after it there's usually an ad or something anyway. I didn't mind all that much.

Archived