[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

i thought it was realy disturbing and off putting.

its so vastly different from all the other credit songs so far and imo does not fit into the series and setting at all.

dont know what drove them to this..

This:

David and Dan on the credit song;

“It’s such a shocking ending and when we read the scene in the books it was so shocking to us,” Weiss says. “To really hammer home the shock of that moment you need something unexpected. There’s no version of a traditional score that would keep you as off balance as we wanted that scene to leaving you feeling.”

“I can’t imagine having that conversation with Ramin [Djawadi] our composer — ‘Now we need the Jaime-gets-his-hand-chopped-off music,’” adds Benioff. who made his directorial debut with this episode. “What we always loved in An American Werewolf in London, we see our hero shot and killed and then his lover runs to embrace his dead body — it’s a sad ending — but then we cut to black and it’s [the bouncy 1961 Marcell's hit] ‘Blue Moon.’ And that jarring juxtaposition was fantastic.”

There's a very large sampling bias involved. Firstly, in favor of people who care enough about the show to post on Westeros. Then secondly, in favor of people who are upset enough to look at this particular thread. I only posted because I care about sampling.

The actual percentages probably have more in the 'meh' and 'like' columns, but we have no way of judging the true effect size.

:agree:

I prefer the Irish Moutarde's version of the song:

Likewise. I've loved that version ever since it was posted to these boards by one of the band members (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/62152-the-bear-and-the-maiden-fair-celtic-punk-rock-version/) early last year.

Regarding the jarring of the scene, I though it was wonderfully done. My non-book wife was in shock, and thought the WTF aspect of the music was perfect.

Personally, I was confused they didn't use the first rendition of the Bear and the Maiden Fair, that they sung in the middle of the show.

Cause that one made me actually say "wow".

Yes! I agree so much! I like music like that fine enough, but the Bolton man has a good voice, and Bear and Maiden Fair is just a song that I imagine is a bawdy song sung by people on the road.

In the book, Jon remarks that one of the wights that came back and attacked the Lord Commander was Otho, who sang bawdy songs as he went away with Jon's uncle and the others on that fateful ranging. It's exactly that kind of song.

Edit: I see where David and Dan are coming from, though...

Oh, and this as well:

Funny thing is, I watched the episode online and in the version I was watching for some reason the song started playing before his hand was cut off. I was like, "Ama the end credits like it was supposed to be, but literally having it inserted in the middle of an intense and dramatic scene ruined it for me. Obviously, haha.

I had the same. The Bolton man was still talking and poking Jaime in the eye with his dagger.

Worse thing ever in the Game of Thrones TV series. Totally out of place. Sucked me out of the moment.

What next? Jay-Z rapping Rains of Castamere at the end of RW?

Horrific.

Took the words out of my mouth.

And to those who says, "You obviously just hate punk rock," that argument makes no sense. I love hip hop, but would hate to have a Roots version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair."

To those who say, "Credits aren't part of the show," why not have more modern pop songs? Why not have Justin Timberlake sing the opening credits? Why not have Daft Punk close the "Blackwater" episode?

I watched it with my girlfriend and three sisters. One of my sisters and I have read all 5 books, my girlfriend is in the middle of book 4, and my other two sisters haven't read any books but have watched the series.

I got what they were going for and liked it.

My sister who read the books had to think about it for a second but she liked it (Jaime is her favorite character)

My girlfriend was jarred by it and didn't like it on second thought either.

One of my non reading sisters didn't get it, then I explained it to her and she was "neutrally negative". The other flat out hated it on a music genre "period correctness" basis.

So I can submit to the survey: 2 reader likes, 1 reader dislike, 1 non reader meh, and 1 non reader dislike.

Doesn't happen in America on HBO. HBO never interrupts its own shows to promote anything. Then between shows, it briefly promotes its other shows.

Yes. I know. I live in CA. Which is why I was asking the question in the first place. :D

Yes. I know. I live in CA. Which is why I was asking the question in the first place. :D

Ah, me too. Then I don't know.

Glad the "Nay's" are winning, though! :)

Ok, so far (up to GoldenFleece's post above) I've counted the following votes (tried to exclude duplicate posts and the likes) out of 89 votes:

Yay: 29 (33%)

Nay: 54 (61%)

Meh (mostly indifferent): 6 (6%)

Totally scientific poll, I know. ;) Still, interesting, hmm?

I see what they were aiming for, but they missed.

Playing The Bear and the Maiden Fair would have been enough - that song so doesn't fit the scene, it would have made the point anyway. But this ridiculous punkrock version was way off. It ruined the scene for me.

The first time I watched I didn't stayed in front of the TV long enough to really feel the change from the final scene to the music when the credits started, but when I watched it again I kind of liked, I mean it just wasn't my favorite version of the music.

My guess is that the vast majority of non-message board people did not know that was a different version of the song that appeared earlier. To most, it just sounded like some random punk song.

The explanation given by the writers "we couldn't ask a composer to write a piece of music that would fit" suggest its own solution -- maybe complete silence, with no music over the credits, was the better idea.

The example given of "jarring juxtaposition" that inspired them came at the end of a movie, when you're leaving an audience with the final emotion for the story you've just told. There is no need for continuity moving forward.

This scene wasn't a final scene, and will be built on in successive weeks. SIlence to contemplate the import of what you've just scene, and consider it moving forward, seems a much better choice to me. After all, what it means for Jaime to lose his hand is incredibly interesting moving forward. But instead of leaving you to ponder that, you're completely jerked out of the scene, and left thinking about the music rather than the loss of the hand.

Weird choice.

My question is why did they play it this episode?

Does it not fit with an upcoming episode?

Readers know which one.

And no I did not like that version , and think the reasons given for using it are wacky.

I get what they were trying to do, but I didn't like it. I think the execution was off and would have preferred to see a few more beats of Jamie screaming his head off, Locke laughing, and, as someone pointed out a few pages back, a bit more blood, Monty Python style. I expected more of the twisted stuff to come from the situation, not a weird, non period song.

It makes me wonder if this version of the song was picked before D&D adapted the scene from its content in the book. (no spoilers thread, being intentionally vague here)

Reminded me a bit too much of True Blood in the way it followed a gruesome/jarring last scene with an upbeat song, as if to be ironic or humorous. Just doesn't seem to be in keeping with the GoT asthetic, as this show has never even attempted to do anything similar. To start doing so now, and to do it using a modern-sounding song, is just a complete departure.

Archived