[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

...This is getting ridiculous anyway. The end credits took people out of the mood? In case noone noticed, they also list all the names involved in production, hardly part of the immersive experience. Get over it.

Eh, now you're being a bit overly simplistic here. There's a reason people stay for the credits after movies and such. And it's not only just to spy the name of a relative that was an extra or grip on the production or to wait for Nick Fury to show up. There's a reason there are end title music sequences to a film, too. Those reasons are to hello the audience process what they've just experienced. So it's a legitimate gripe that people have in the music not allowing them to do that.

Personally, after watching it a second time, I liked it more. I thought the rock version of the song served to better put me in Jaime's mindset in those final seconds of the show--a total WTF?!!? feeling of disorientation. Loud, jaunty, anachronistic rock music following such a gruesome scene obviously got people feeling unsettled. Brilliant bit of audience manipulation by D&D.

Eh, now you're being a bit overly simplistic here. There's a reason people stay for the credits after movies and such. And it's not only just to spy the name of a relative that was an extra or grip on the production or to wait for Nick Fury to show up. There's a reason there are end title music sequences to a film, too. Those reasons are to hello the audience process what they've just experienced. So it's a legitimate gripe that people have in the music not allowing them to do that.

Perhaps, but no-one normally criticizes the credits of movies. The Return of the King had the vocalist from Eurythmics singing a power ballad, but I dont recally massive complaints there.

I think what they did with the sudden tonal shift was brilliant, they just went about it the wrong way. I like the the punk version of the song a lot, but it doesn't belong anywhere near GoT. I'm not sure why they wouldn't use a more folksy rendition. The same effect would have been achieved without the contextually alien oddity.

It really isn't that huge a deal though. It's not like, OMFG THIS IS THE VERY FIRST TIME D&D HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE CREATIVE DECISION! WAT!

It was a rather odd way to end the episode. I think it might have been good if the song only started when the credits started, but this way it just got me confused in the middle of a scene I had waited for and took away some of the impressiveness of that scene.

I realize a major reason why I felt the producers didn't succeed in creating the dissonance they wanted: the scene already has a dissonant moment. That is, Jaime's shocked, baffled stare, without any screams, is dissonant to the viewer. I mean, logically it makes sense, but you're carried right with him to a moment of surprise so sharp there's an instant where you're not quite able to process it. They did their job very well here.

But then Jaime starts to scream, and the expected order of things is restored. They even continue it into the credits. And yet the expect viewers to go along for yet another dissonance with the song after that return to "normalcy". Too much, too soon.

I suspect the song would have followed much better (for me at least) if they cut to the credits and the song just at the moment Jaime is about to scream. The shock of his silence is going to be fixed in just one more split-second, creating anticipation... and then the song hits you. I think that would have worked, fitting those two together, doubly-dissonant as they are.

All the talk of dissonance... I understand the concept well, however, would it have not even better if that swift, sharp, shock had been delivered in a more contextually appropriate way? I have no problem with the song being modern, running over the credits, as it does. My problem is that the song had already received a treatment earlier on in the ep, and I think I'd rather not have heard it again until further down the line.

For me, it messes with the earlier version's foreshadowing of what is to come.

I think for people to say that the song ruined the episode is a bit childish.... Don't exaggerate. I wasn't a fan of the transition from 'poor Jaime' to that rock song, but the more I've seen it, the more it grows on me. My only issue is that it is rock, have no issue with the idea of a song. I'd have just made it a jolly folk song to mix with the theme of GOT, not a rock version.... But no, it did not ruin the episode for me.... That's just stupid talk

Hated it through and through. If it had happened last season, no problem. Jaime's character has been building up to be a more thoughtful and friendly, somewhat cynical person though. I didn't think it was funny, just annoying if anything.

Hoping they put some crazy death metal after the next episode just to have a 40 page thread of whining about nonsense by day 3.

Me too. I hope they end every episode with some crazy song just for these responses.

Archived