[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

When the song first started playing, I actually thought it was a mistake. This yanked me SO HARD out of the end scene (which I otherwise LOVED) that I didn't have time to savor what had just happened. Not a good move, in my opinion.

Absolutely agree.

It ruined a moment that was supposed to create a pit in your stomach. It was so hard to read that part in the book.

It took me from fantasy medieval England to a modern 14 year olds i-pod in a split second.

It was terrible, and the first thing about the show i have ever felt hatred for.

:agree: I also completely agree with Ran's "Too much, too soon" double-dissonance analysis. Jamie's amputation was plenty jarring; it doesn't need help. Even when you know it's coming and regardless of how you feel about Jaime, it's horrific. That grating song ruined the mood and lessened the impact.

Massive FAIL.

The song was supposed to be jarring, and that is why I liked it. It put me in Jaime's mind because we went from a moment of "Holy shit! His fucking hand!?" to the beginning of a song that was pure chaos. This is probably the sound that was bouncing around his skull when he tried to rationalize what just happened to him.

to the beginning of a song that was pure chaos. This is probably the sound that was bouncing around his skull when he tried to rationalize what just happened to him.

No it definitely wasn't. Jaime doesn't have American punk music floating around in his psyche.

No it definitely wasn't. Jaime doesn't have American punk music floating around in his psyche.

If your hand was just cut off, I imagine that your mind would be reeling and no tangible thought would be able to be processed at that point. The song accomplished that goal in my mind. It didn't give the viewer a chance to reflect on what you just saw, it was just sound that clouded your image of what happened. I'm not judging the use of the song based on the genre or the song in its totality (in all honesty who watches the entire credits anyway), for me it was sound and it threw my mind off. I think that was the purpose. Additionally, if people were that put off by the song and judge the quality of the episode based on it then I would suggest using the mute button on a review. Judging an episode, or even the final scene, based on the music used during the credits scene is somewhat absurd to me. The only episode where the ending credits actually added to my viewing experience was "Blackwater" , other than that I usually turn it off when I see the first credit appear on my TV. Maybe that is why my opinion of this song is what it is, because I only heard about 10 - 15 seconds of it and those 10 - 15 seconds were just the sounds of guitar and heavy drums.

If your hand was just cut off, I imagine that your mind would be reeling and no tangible thought would be able to be processed at that point. The song accomplished that goal in my mind. It didn't give the viewer a chance to reflect on what you just saw, it was just sound that clouded your image of what happened.

But what is wrong about reflecting on the drama and import of the scene? Isn't that what you're supposed to do in response to a dramatic, important event? Isn't that exactly what you do when you read that scene in the books? It's like they took one of the most jarring and important scenes from the book, and deliberately wanted viewers to forget about it's significance, and pay attention to the music instead. And that reality is playing out right here.

Really, it's no different than if you'd just finished reading the scene where Bran is thrown from the window, or Ned is killed, and someone then grabs the book out of your hands and starts blasting music, when what you really want to do is sit back, think "holy shit, I can't believe that just happened", and then start your imagination running through all the implications. Fiction is supposed to transport us to another world/setting, and they made a deliberate decision to yank us out of that and slap us back into the RL without having the opportunity to reflect on what we'd just seen when the images are all fresh in our heads.

That's exactly what's so odd about it. When there is a major scene, viewers/readers are supposed to focus on it and consider it's importance. That's the payoff.

But what is wrong about reflecting on the drama and import of the scene? Isn't that what you're supposed to do in response to a dramatic, important event? Isn't that exactly what you do when you read that scene in the books? It's like they took one of the most jarring and important scenes from the book, and deliberately wanted viewers to forget about it's significance, and pay attention to the music instead. And that reality is playing out right here...

Really, it's no different than if you'd just finished reading the scene where Bran is thrown from the window, or Ned is killed, and someone then grabs the book out of your hands and starts blasting music, when what you really want to do is sit back, think "holy shit, I can't believe that just happened", and then start your imagination running through all the implications. Fiction is supposed to transport us to another world/setting, and they made a deliberate decision to yank us out of that and slap us back into the RL without having the opportunity to reflect on what we'd just scene when the images are all fresh in our heads.

That's exactly what's so odd about it. When there is a major scene, viewers/readers are supposed to focus on it and consider it's importance. That's the payoff.

Superb explanation. :bowdown:

Any time a significant portion of your audience feels the need to rewatch a pivotal dramatic scene with their finger on the mute button so they can stay in the moment, you have failed. The show runners are smart and talented. I hope they learn the lesson.

Yay to the one during the episode, nay to the one during credits.

I was a bit dissapointed they didn't shout: A BEAR A BEAR! I always imagined the men shouting it out at this point with horns of ale in the air. :cool4: :cheers:

Other than that I was so happy to hear it finally. I watch the show with non readers so they didn't get why I was squirming with happiness and knew the lyrics if not the melody haha :laugh:

I don't push the mute button when I rewatch the scene; I'd rather say I turn the volume up when the song starts. That means D&D did a perfect choice, innit? Or does it simply mean that someone liked it, and someone else didn't? God, I hate the "I did not like it, it is therefore shit" type of comment.

I did'nt mind the actual song, I thought it was quite cool. I like me a bit of punk. But there's a time and place, and just after our Jaime has had his arm shortened wasn't really it for me.

It's like having a rap song after the Helms Deep battle in LotR, just didn't fit.

When you compare it with their Rains of Castamere it really doesn't measure up at all >.>

Yup, they should have played Rains of Castamere in the credits instead. Now that would have been a jarring juxtaposition. Here we have a Lannister maimed and humiliated, but the song speaks of Lannister triumph. -but perhaps also foreshadowing of Lannister retribution? So much room for interpretation and a fitting closure to the scene.

Indeed, they should find a reason to play RoC at least once per episode.

God, I hate the "I did not like it, it is therefore shit" type of comment.

:lol: We all have to get used to that just to survive pretty much anywhere online. GRRM fans are passionate, so they disagree passionately. No biggie.

Archived