[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

I don't push the mute button when I rewatch the scene; I'd rather say I turn the volume up when the song starts. That means D&D did a perfect choice, innit? Or does it simply mean that someone liked it, and someone else didn't? God, I hate the "I did not like it, it is therefore shit" type of comment.

I don't think "half-hated it, half-liked it" is a win for D&D, though.

Consider what they had as an asset -- an emotionally powerful, shocking scene that is not only visually and emotionally powerful, but carries huge plot implications moving forward. Lots of facets there, right? What is Jaime without his sword hand? What now happens to the deal Catelyn cut? Etc..etc. etc....That is a scene that should have been 100% win all around, including the aftermath of the actual scene where you'd expect pretty much all viewers to say "holy shit, that was....awesome!"

Then they blew that to hell with a controversy that had no reasons to exist. They alienated a bunch of folks who otherwise would have had nothing but the incredibly positive aftertaste of a great scene. And I'll bet that those who loved the ending song would have loved the scene anyway even without it. Essentially, they gained nothing other than perhaps gratification of their own urges, while alienating/pissing off viewers who otherwise would have ended that ep with a great feeling about the show.

Essentially, they gained nothing other than perhaps gratification of their own urges.

Not strictly true. They also created a huge talking point, and endless discussion that is continuing days after the episode aired. No-one would give two shits if it was an orchestral credit tune.

Not strictly true. They also created a huge talking point, and endless discussion that is continuing days after the episode aired. No-one would give two shits if it was an orchestral credit tune.

Exactly -- nobody would have given a shit about an orchestral tune because they'd have been completely drained/shocked/exalted/intrigued by an amazing scene. Instead of a 100% positive reaction, you've got people pissed off about the music.

Exactly -- nobody would have given a shit about an orchestral tune because they'd have been completely drained/shocked/exalted/intrigued by an amazing scene. Instead of a 100% positive reaction, you've got people pissed off about the music.

People are pissed off every episode, doesn't mean much. If the scene was so amazing, and you know the music is coming upon rewatch, I still fail to see how this is such a big deal as to create more discussion than the actual scene where Jaime had his hand cutoff.

People are pissed off every episode, doesn't mean much.

Sure it does. The directors have to make some choices, and some choices are inevitably going to piss someone off. For example, there really was no way some folks weren't going to be pissed about the Tower of Joy scene, because filming that was always going to be tough. But this wasn't one of those scenes -- this was a scene that they knew was a win all-around already.

If the scene was so amazing, and you know the music is coming upon rewatch, I still fail to see how this is such a big deal as to create more discussion than the actual scene where Jaime had his hand cutoff.

I haven't rewatched it, so I can't say. I just remember thinking "wtf", and then flipping it off. I felt like the victim of the directors' self-indulgence.

I didn't listen to the song long enough, as soon as it started I was like "hell is this" and stopped the recording. Now that's the exact same thing I always do, but usually without the "hell is this".

It didn't really bother me much, I just found it really annoying, but that's how I usually am when listening to music I hate.

I hope they don't add anymore "modern" versions of famous songs from ASOIAF. So far they're 0 for 2.

When the song first started playing, I actually thought it was a mistake. This yanked me SO HARD out of the end scene (which I otherwise LOVED) that I didn't have time to savor what had just happened. Not a good move, in my opinion.

Just seemed out of place

I agree. The music ruined the scene for me. Jamie's hand was cut off so quickly, I barely had time to emotionally process it, and then that corny, out-of-place music started.

But that's exactly what they were aiming at! Nobody likes Jaime at this point of the story, and I would bet all my money a large portion of tv-only viewers were actually glad Jaime "got what he deserved". You're not supposed to mourn Jaime's loss now, and the song was that jarring, that sudden to prevent any mournful reflection.

But that's exactly what they were aiming at! Nobody likes Jaime at this point of the story, and I would bet all my money a large portion of tv-only viewers were actually glad Jaime "got what he deserved". You're not supposed to mourn Jaime's loss now, and the song was that jarring, that sudden to prevent any mournful reflection.

Agreed. I think some book readers are too busy watching and judging the show from the perspective of knowing what's happening so far rather than following the show on its own and letting the storylines develop on their own timeline

Agreed. I think some book readers are too busy watching and judging the show from the perspective of knowing what's happening so far rather than following the show on its own and letting the storylines develop on their own timeline

Amen to that. And I think that is the worst approach possible.

But you're not supposed to mourn Jaime's loss now, and the song was that jarring, that sudden to prevent any mournful reflection.

Who said anything about reflection being mournful? You could just as easily have had a "happy" reaction, or one just of shock where you need time to figure put what it means.

Who said anything about reflection being mournful? You could just as easily have had a "happy" reaction, or one just of shock where you need time to figure put what it means.

Well, to be fair, I read dozens of comments stating that the song had "ruined the drama of the event". I think things were supposed to work this way: "Yay! That filthy child-crippling/ sister-fucking/ Ned-crushing Kingslayer got his sword hand chopped off! YAY, A JOYFUL TAVERN ANTHEM! Let's celebrate the event by dancing to it!". To me, it worked like clockwork.

Archived